PDA

View Full Version : Progressions: 100 years of jazz guitar

John Flynn
Dec-26-2006, 11:51am
NFI, but one of the surprises I got for Christmas was a compilation by Columbia/Legacy called "Progressions: 100 Years of Jazz Guitar." It contains 4 CDs and a pretty extensive illustrated book. The 4 CDs have 78 tracks, one each from the top jazz guitarists of the last century. The book has photos of every player and essays about them, an introduction by John Scofield, a poll of 25 current guitarists talking about what guitarists and tracks influenced them the most and transcriptions, with essays, about nine of the tracks. I am not a big jazz guy and I am just digging into it, but it is pretty cool. Maybe this will inspire me to try some jazz mando this year. Anybody else have this set? What you do you think?

Pete Martin
Dec-27-2006, 12:37pm
I heard it at a friends house, but I had a lot of those recordings before on various tapes, lps and cds.

It is a good intro to Jazz Guitarists for folks who haven't heard of them. Hopefully, it will allow folks to find other recordings of their favorites.

I've been listening a lot lately to Johnny Smith and Wes Montgomery box sets. Most know Wes' playing, but Johnny Smith is very underappreciated. Great player, especially his chord melodies!

glauber
Dec-27-2006, 4:33pm
How many years is that in mandolin years?

Pete Martin
Dec-28-2006, 3:10pm
"100 Years of Jazz Mandolin" would be a very short recording indeed. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif