PDA

View Full Version : F5 #6 jd done

Yonkle
Dec-26-2006, 1:02am
Finally got this done, I had to re-do the neck, I screwed up the angle, lost the extension, but other than that it is like it was. Plays well, sounds good, LOUD. Necks a little whimpy now, but if you like a skinny neck, I guess it would feel good to you.
Heres a few pics. JD

Yonkle
Dec-26-2006, 1:04am
Here's the back (with the face on it)

Yonkle
Dec-26-2006, 1:05am
a earlier side view

Yonkle
Dec-26-2006, 1:07am
ANd the lovely Torch and pearl inlay (thats a major pain) to put in, but looks pretty cool!

Yonkle
Dec-26-2006, 1:10am
I'm glad this one is done,I learned a lot from it, made a lot of error that I had to re-do and it took me forever to finish.
Abby (The Basset) stuck by my side all the way through it, she share's in my excitement below!

Pete Braccio
Dec-26-2006, 1:13am
Wow!

Antlurz
Dec-26-2006, 1:50am
Those ribs are freaky neat grain!

Whenever I see a picture of that backboard, and it's little face, I'm reminded of Calvin in Calvin and Hobbes and his evil grin when he's scheming on something.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Ron

Skip Kelley
Dec-26-2006, 8:07am
John, Awesome!! The quilt is spectacular and the burst looks great. I love the vintage looking inlay in the peghead. A great work all around!

Mark Walker
Dec-26-2006, 8:18am
Looks great! #I love the dog too - he looks like my dog - Sparky the Blunder Beagle. #(If you rolled his brain down the edge of a razor blade, it would look like a BB on a four-lane highway!)

Beautiful back on that mandolin! #Love that little 'face' in it!

How did you go about doing the headstock inlay? Was that part of the kit, or did you tap Andy DePaule at Luthier Supply or someone similar?

Also, did all your re-work on the neck alter the location of the truss rod and cover? Looks a bit higher up than some. (Just curious.)

F5G WIZ
Dec-26-2006, 9:04am
Beautiful mandolin, love the quilt and the three peice sandwiched neck.

Steve Davis
Dec-26-2006, 9:14am
Very nice work.

tin ben dur
Dec-26-2006, 9:58am
Hey Yonkle, Abby doen't look tooo excited but I am. Nice job. I like it.

Stephanie Reiser
Dec-26-2006, 10:20am
fantastic inlay (and everything else!).
Is the neck a 3-piece? or is the Ebony inlaid?

Richard H
Dec-26-2006, 4:17pm
Love the mando and the dog!
Actually I saw the post-title and was trying to figure out what notes to use for an F5#6 chord.

Too much X'mas food possibly.
Glad I looked.

ShaneJ
Dec-26-2006, 10:22pm
All I can say is, "WOW!!!". http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

MandoSquirrel
Dec-26-2006, 10:23pm
No sleeping under a quilt that loud , Huh!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

usqebach
Dec-27-2006, 3:53pm
JD,

When you said you "screwed up the neck and lost the extension," I'm not sure what you mean by that. It appears to hit the body at the 15th fret, so that looks right to me.

Sorry for the ignorance, I'm a fiddler who is new to this mando thingy.

Thanks!

red7flag
Dec-27-2006, 4:56pm
I really like that inlay in the headstock. I bet that was an extreme pain to do.
Tony

jackofall
Dec-27-2006, 6:10pm
Ooh, nice!