PDA

View Full Version : New price cases

tin ben dur
Dec-25-2006, 11:39am
I see that Price has a new case out simular to Calton. Pictures in the classifieds. I have a Calton on order. I want a Pegasus. And now I see that Price has a new case out. Has anyone tried these or are they too new. Maybe Coydog will get with the guys building the carbon fiber mandolins and get their carbon fiber cases going. Off subject I just ordered a carbon fiber holster from Blade Tech. They make holsters for guns and knives.

mythicfish
Dec-25-2006, 1:06pm
It sounds like you're in a position to do some independent testing. Why not buy one of each and subject them to the most extreme conditions ... then you'll be able to inform the rest of us.

Good luck
Curt

mandroid
Dec-25-2006, 1:47pm
the criteria that makes the Pegasus work better for me , than the Calton, [one of each]
is in the shape and the balance on the carry strap.
Combination of a curved back side, and a D ring on the bottom edge , make for a comfortable carry, on my back , riding my bicycle, not driving a car, out to play.

oh, and its wet out there , the rubber gasket closure works well, I found.
[fwiw]
Riverbag like day pack, was good with OHSC of my '22A4,
modern shaped(wood) cases too big for the bag, but better padded..

another instrument fresh from the builder cradles in the original rectangular TKL F case,
I don't miss it.

tin ben dur
Dec-25-2006, 2:18pm
I was just complaining this morning to my sister about my case being hard to carry. I do not want to mention what it is on an open board but it is a rectangle case with one handle. The handle just has four revits holding it on. I can just see it hitting the ground. I carried drums for years in school and I am tired of carrying stuff. Back pack style is the only way. I know Caltons are kinda balky but they atleast have a sling. I will find a way to carry the Calton backpack style. There are some case covers out there with slings. I think done with wood cases.

BluegrassWarehouse
Dec-25-2006, 2:53pm
There was a similar discussion on the banjo hangout concerning the Calton and Price cases. The overwhelming majority was that Price was the better case. It started when Sonny Osborne of the Osborne Brothers had a couple problems when shipping banjos in Calton cases. People that had both stated that the Price offered better protection. The only downside was that it was also a little heavier. Sonny now uses Price cases.

Lance

mandroid
Dec-25-2006, 2:58pm
If any input can be accepted by the calton factory , adding a few D rings #to the shell before
installing the lining would be straight-foreward.
Putting the D rings under the 4 feet on the bottom side , doesnt even require any extra holes.

but the back is still flat, so maybe a well #padded cover would be more comfortable .

My(3rd hand) Peg's #strap slings over my head and left shoulder and carrys like a bike messenger's bag.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

tin ben dur
Dec-25-2006, 4:50pm
I noticed the new Price case is alittle higher than the Calton but if it truly offers more protection then its worth it. The price of a new Pegasus is high because of the exchange rate and shipping for obvious reasons. I am sure a Pegasus is an awesome case and has ease of carry because the shape. The addition of a few D rings on a Calton sure would help and should not be much more of an expense to Calton. Maybe Calton rep will read this Mandroid.

mandroid
Dec-25-2006, 5:00pm
Given you have one on order, a call to them to find out if the option is still open,
to add it to yours would be a reasonable suggestion.
passive may not be effective in that ..

What sort of abuse do you forsee in the difference of protection?

You could of course cancel the order on the Cal, and spec the fresh order for Price accordingly..

f5loar
Dec-25-2006, 5:03pm
Can someone list the price of all 3? While Peg to me is one of the best out there the exchange/shipping on that one can put it up there. Also exchange between Canada and USA is getting worse. And what about that new Gibson/Calton case coming out? Any news on it's recent whereabouts in the marketplace and it's price?

tin ben dur
Dec-25-2006, 5:08pm
Caltons at FQMS 440$, Greg Boyd's where I ordered mine 465$. Price case the new one 595$ in classifieds and Pegasus shipped to USA is somewhere around 800$.

tin ben dur
Dec-25-2006, 5:14pm
Mandroid I would not change my order with Greg for no amount of money in the whole world. I probally wore Greg out talking about ordering me a Calton. I try to do a lot of business with him and would not want to make him mad. Its cool though. Hunter Green ext. with Beige int. and name plate. It will be cool though. I ordered it for my Weber but I always like to keep my eye out for a new case so I can order a new mandolin to put in it. Oh yeah.:D

mandroid
Dec-25-2006, 6:35pm
Ah, another M.A.S. rationalization.. another yawning empty case.. crying out to be filled..

f5loar
Dec-25-2006, 7:57pm
I'm sure the new Gibson/Calton case will come in if it ever does over the $650 mark. Based on the prices above it's a no brainer that Calton is the best bang for the buck for everyday protection of a fine mandolin. However for flight risks in checked luggage it may be your worst as many broken headstocks have come out of Calton cases over the years. If I was flying taking the chance you may have to check your precious mandolin I'll go with the new Price since it looks to be able to handle carry on and checked luggage when flying. Peg. also excellent for flying both ways and would be lighter in weight then Price. Peg. has the best choices of custom colors too!

tin ben dur
Dec-25-2006, 10:52pm
I think you can place an order for one of those new Gibson/Calton cases from Acoustic Guitar found through the links on the Cafe's homepage. It will not say Gibson on it and it will not be ready for a long time I am sure. If you own a Gibson and want one with the Gibson embosement then you will surely be able to buy it through Gibson Showcase sooner. I would have already ordered a Pegasus but I want to see one in person. I think my Calton will be fine for my Weber.

F5G WIZ
Dec-26-2006, 9:13am
A bit off subject but with all the talk about the new carbon fiber mandolin has there ever been any thought or discussion on building a CF mandolin case? Love my calton but it sure is heavy. Would be cool to have a Calton made of Carbon Fiber. Just a thought. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

evanreilly
Dec-26-2006, 9:24am
Coydog floated prototypes of carbon fiber cases maybe a year ago.
Not sure if they have progressed to production.
I suppose you could search the archives here for Coydog.

tin ben dur
Dec-26-2006, 9:52am
I would say Coydog searched all their options. They would have to have a building, machins, material supplier and a lot of other over head. They would have to be able to do all that and be able to sell them in the Calton and Pegasus price range. I am sure they are still exploring their options. Maybe they will get it going for 07. I would buy one.

Paul Kotapish
Dec-26-2006, 1:49pm
I have several Caltons and one Pegasus. They are all wonderful cases. Pros and cons pretty well established above. I agree that the Pegasus is more comfortable slung over the shoulder, but it has the disadvantage of requiring a different setup for each shoulder--a distinct irritation at hectic festival scene with several instruments or when traveling with kids when a frequent change of shoulder is necessary.

When I worked at String Letter publishing we reviewed a number of carbon fiber cases from Europe desigend for violins, cellos, and guitars. Pretty impressive and extremely light, but very, very expensive, and pretty spartan in terms of interior padding and fittings. The best carbon fiber case I've seen is the BAM Contoured HiTech violin case. I would jump at a chance to have a mandolin version of that.

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BK717O.01-A1YCU8BF7X7UW6.PT01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37105416_.j pg

F5G WIZ
Dec-26-2006, 2:23pm
How expensive is very, very expensive?

Paul Kotapish
Dec-26-2006, 2:53pm
How expensive is very, very expensive?

Prices may have changed significantly since my last survey (several years ago), but cello cases were running between $1,200 to $1,800, guitar cases were in the $700 to $1,100 range, and violin cases were $600 or more.

At the time, Caltons could be had for just over $400.

At the cheaper end of the carbon fiber cases we looked at, I would say that the fittings, interiors, and finishes were not comparable to the fine quality offered by Calton or Pegasus. (BTW, the Pegasus was a much more affordable option at the time, too, due to a significantly better exchange rate and cheaper shipping options.)

As far as the guitar cases went, all of the editors at Acoustic Guitar concluded that as attractive as the lightweight carbon-fiber option was, the higer price and lower quality of fittings (seal, hinges, latches, interior, handle, etc.) was such that it was not yet a viable alternative to the Calton.

I still think that this is a promising technology for cases, but the consensus from people working with carbon fiber fabrication seems to be that the basic process of building with the stuff is difficult and that tooling for production is complicated and expensive.

I believe the current price for the BAM Contoured HighTech case is around $500. It's a great case, but it is very spartan indeed, with minimal interior padding and no special features.

f5loar
Dec-26-2006, 3:11pm
I noticed in the issue or Acoustic Guitar a report on the Karura Case Co. in Thailand. A carbon fiber guitar case is $1050 plus shipping. Ouch! No mandolin cases listed and similar to Caltons. Maybe Eastland will come out with a high end carbon fiber for their high end stuff!

mandroid
Dec-26-2006, 3:52pm
If some clever chemist could make up a heat released catalyst, a pre-impregnated sheet with carbon fiber layer in it [ white/silver, svp] it would be as easy to make as ABS, vacuum formed . but unlike regular thermo plastic catalyst reaction chemistry wouldn't be undone if it was left in the sun or car too long.

danb
Dec-26-2006, 3:57pm
The pegasus is my favorite mandolin case. I've got two, about to order a third.

tin ben dur
Dec-26-2006, 4:04pm
Mandroid, I have no idea what you jsut said but it sounded good to me and it would probally work. I just noticed ever time I lay my case down to get my mandolin out or put it up. I usually lay it on the couch. Then I think boy thats dumb. If I was to turn my head for just a secondd someone could sit on it or drop something on it. When the case is closed the bridge is about half an inch from the top. Its not an arched top either. My Calton is supposed to be here next month and it will be my first.

tin ben dur
Dec-26-2006, 4:10pm
Dan those Pegasus are sweet but we need to find away to get them to the US and cheaper. I have a nice building if Sam wants me to be the Pegasus dealer for the US. I will do it if no one else will. 1700 square foot building in TN.

danb
Dec-26-2006, 4:23pm
Dan those Pegasus are sweet but we need to find away to get them to the US and cheaper. I have a nice building if Sam wants me to be the Pegasus dealer for the US. I will do it if no one else will. 1700 square foot building in TN.
You never know what's going on in the dark & mysterious world of mandolin cases!

tin ben dur
Dec-26-2006, 4:38pm
I was looking at a British Racing Green with Roscommon tartan Pegasus. Thats the one I want. Sweet.

sgarrity
Dec-26-2006, 4:47pm
Those new Price cases look awesome.

david blair
Dec-28-2006, 6:33am
I found one of these for my violin, and absolutely love it! They claim you can drive a car over it. Really nice, light weight, natural hardwood inside. They want a US dealer....

www.ika.zrns.cz/

kyblue
Dec-28-2006, 8:24am
those Pegasus are sweet but we need to find away to get them to the US

Might want to put IBMA 2007 on your calendar. Sam is working on coming over, and getting a booth.

Paula

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

tin ben dur
Dec-28-2006, 8:44am
Where is IBMA for 07'? Thanks Paula

f5loar
Dec-28-2006, 2:34pm
I believe Nashville is the new home of the IBMA annual fling.
While there has been some talk about some unhappy campers(mostly the hallway pickers)and the fact the big stars go home for the night vs. staying in a hotel,I don't see them moving it again anytime soon.

Pete Martin
Dec-28-2006, 2:52pm
I love the Pegasus case, it is the best I've seen, though I haven't seen the Price in person.

The Calton CAN break the peghead scroll on an F5 (it did on my Gilchrist) so with those, BUYER BEWARE! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Spencer
Dec-29-2006, 10:27am
Price and service go together. I have a Pegasus A style case from the first batch. There was a little problem with the lining, and Sam fixed it. Well, actually, he rebuilt the whole inside to the latest standard, and I only paid for the materials and shipping, no labour charge. I thought that was more than reasonable.

I really like the strap and hands free carrying, a nice case in my book.

Spencer

evanreilly
Dec-29-2006, 11:21am
I have had a Price-Nelson case for probably over 10 years now. The thing is as solid as a brick out-house, as it were. It is heavier than either a Pegasus or Calton, but I do believe the level of protection for the mandolin is heavier duty as well.
The only downside to it is that the cats like it.

kyblue
Dec-29-2006, 2:53pm
While there has been some talk about some unhappy campers(mostly the hallway pickers)

I couldn't tell this from the ones outside my room picking until 6:00 a.m.

and the fact the big stars go home for the night vs. staying in a hotel, I don't see them moving it again anytime soon. )

Well, I guess it depends on who you want to see. #I saw Tim O. and many of the Sugar Hill artists at a jam in the SH suite (across from my room!) until about 4:00 a.m. the morning after the awards show. #There are some 'stars' known for not socializing, they might as well go home.

The past 2 years of ibma have been about the most fun I've had anytime, anywhere, and both years I found a different group of folks to hang out with (many new friends!). #I think maybe some people just aren't going to have a good time anywhere, because they don't know how.

Paula

p.s. sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread! back to cases...

Love my Peg. Would like to see one of the new Price ones sometime.

Paul Hostetter
Dec-29-2006, 4:09pm
In this discussion so far, I notice people keep referring to Calton as if it was a single case. They have two different ones (http://www.caltoncases.ab.ca/frame_mando.htm), and they list $490 for the Standard and $550 for the Deluxe. The Deluxe is much more heavily built. So comparing a Price or a Pegasus should take into account that there's not just one Calton, but two. Which one is comparable?

That said, I cannot imagine a reason for checking a mandolin into airline baggage: it's small enough for carry-on. I also know enough about them to know that a Calton fitted for a Gibson might well not fit a Gilchrist safely.

http://www.caltoncases.ab.ca/resources/Mando.gif

Glassweb
Dec-29-2006, 4:42pm
What the heck is going on at Calton these days?! I've been waiting almost 6 months for an order of two mandolin cases and one mandola case and I'm sad to admit my patience is wearing thin. It seems that pretty soon we'll be waiting as long for a mandolin case as a custom made mandolin - ridiculous! Seems to me the gates are wide open for somebody to get a really successful case business going right here in the USA. There's certainly a huge demand for quality cases. Both Peg and Calton make great cases and I own both, but if somone could combine the best qualities of both of those cases and offer them at a fair price...well, that would be a winner. Dont'cha think?

tin ben dur
Dec-29-2006, 10:16pm
Your thinking right Glassweb. I would say we could consider this Case Closed and wait and see what happens in 07. I am putting my money back and waiting. I suggest everyone does the same.

Bradley
Dec-30-2006, 10:31am
[QUOTE]I think you can place an order for one of those new Gibson/Calton cases from Acoustic Guitar found through the links on the Cafe's homepage. It will not say Gibson on it and it will not be ready for a long time I am sure.

I dont think the new design is available unless it has the Gibson Logo on it...according to Big Joe. I wanted one for my Kimble, but not with a Gibson Logo.

Glassweb
Dec-30-2006, 11:03am
I wouldn't waste my time placing that order... I think Calton's future is in doubt... too bad, cause they did some nice work.

mandroid
Dec-30-2006, 4:13pm
"Calton's future is in doubt"..?? Huh??

tin ben dur
Dec-30-2006, 8:43pm
Bradley I guess I have to retract that comment. Maybe I was ignorant about the facts. I thought that I heard that somewhere and probally shouldn't have repeated witout knowing the facts.

Bradley
Dec-30-2006, 11:59pm
Hey no Problem.....I have emailed Calton just to make sure.

Them prices are looking good http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif