PDA

View Full Version : Stew mac f5 kit

bulldog
Dec-24-2006, 7:51am
Well, I got my Christmas kit a day early and it looks pretty nice. Real nice top, figured back, sides, and everything else looks to be pretty good quality. However, on the back of the peghead (bottom right from rear view) at one of the headstock's lower points, there is a 1/4 long by approx 1/8 deep chip. Now, I know its rough cut, but would this be an issue? Im considering returning it for another. Unless this is the way they come. Any experience out there with this? Overall it seems pretty good quality.

Terry Braund
Dec-24-2006, 10:49am
Merry Christmas!

No that is not the way they should come. Use your blueprints and check the final dimensions (thickness) and see if the chip will still be there in the finished product after sanding, etc. Also, consider if you will use an overlay on the back of the headstock that would cover it. If you do return the neck it should not be a problem, I have found StewMac to have very good customer service.

Happy building!

bulldog
Dec-24-2006, 1:24pm
Merry Christmas, thanks for the reply. Im torn on this one because the neck has some great lame on it, very pretty.

Antlurz
Dec-24-2006, 2:56pm
Many options. It might finish out, it might require a bit of gluing in a filler piece, it might get covered up by veneer, depending how you finish it, it might get covered by dark stain.

Think it out before you decide. If the figure is that nice, a bit of cosmetic surgery might be well worth the trouble.

Ron

EdSherry
Dec-24-2006, 4:07pm
If there's a problematic chip in the wood they sent you, you might ask StewMac to replace the offending piece. #No need to ask for an entire new kit if you're satisfied with the rest.