PDA

View Full Version : my latest pick

ira
May-01-2004, 9:14pm
as you know, always on the look out for my next pick.
just tried the peavy startex. it comes in light to extra heavy. i am currently using the med.-heavy (.88), and so far really like it. the picking edge is pronounced, but rounded. the material is kind of like tortex. good flex and nice tone. mellows tone a little but doesn't dull it or take away volume. also, one side has these little star imprints that aid in grip. not sticky, but sure helps out for sweaters like myself. didn't lose the pick grip much at all last night and sweating like i was in a sauna playin in a bar on a 70+degree new england night.

so far, so good. give one a try if you can find em.

ira

ira
May-03-2004, 2:03pm
here i am exceptionally excited about my new pick, and noone cares.............. well, i am gonna keep it small, and still put it in for folks to try on the national pick tour (if it ever gets going again).:;):

duuuude
May-03-2004, 3:54pm
ira, is the material it's made outa real light like the Rhino Dunlop, can't remember if that's Ultex or Tortex or what. Anyway, I'm excited for ya man, always fun to find a new pick that seems just a skosh nicer than the last.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

frets1
May-04-2004, 5:02am
You need to try the Tortis pick. GREATTTT Sound. Check them out at www.redbeartrading.com. They are expensive, but worth it. I have a friend who is a pro player and he says he can't tell them from real tortois shell. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

futrconslr
May-04-2004, 7:10am
Isnt the tortis pick like 3 inches thick? I had been using a tortex 1.5....now I am using a delrin 1.5 I found a pickboy "jazz" pick all dirty in the bottom of my tool box of all places and after cleaning it up, began using it and it has a very nice sound. I am going looking for a peavey pick....Ira, i'll try it and tell you how I like it.:)

ira
May-04-2004, 7:55am
ok, hillbilly:;):
they are available through the peavy site if you can't find em anywhere else.

Kid Charlemagne
May-04-2004, 8:46am
I'm seriously considering ordering some Tortis material (if I can find it anywhere) and making a couple of my own picks out of it to see what I think of them.

I like the tortex picks, but would like something a little harder and smoother to try.

And I haven't settled on a single thickness yet. I can't stand the huge Golden Gate or dawg picks, the Clayton 1.5mm are too thick, and the really thin ones are too thin.

So far, my favorite seems to be somewhere around 0.73mm Dunlops to 1.0mm generics, but I can never settle on a particular one to fit all circumstances. Lately, it's been the 1.0mm generics (the ones I have are pretty hard plastic, and give a good response, plus they slip off the strings easily and don't give a lot of extraneous noise).

duuuude
May-04-2004, 9:48am
Yeah, I noticed just lately after trying out some flat-wounds, that the picks I had liked were way to scratchy sounding & had to search the case for another. Ended up back with the rhino 1.14 Ted was so nice to include when I bought some strings, nice & smooth on the strings.

Anymore I look for picks that sound very light when dropped on a hard surface, they seem to give me the best tone & response, will keep an eye out for the peavy though.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif