PDA

View Full Version : Wake Frankfield

Scotti Adams
Jan-31-2004, 9:09am
..I had the pleasure of seeing Frank last night...even got invited on stage to play a few and twin him on some things. All I can say is..what a treasure we have in Frank...and in that Loar of his...Frank was in fine form last night...totally having the audience spell bound with his wizardry on the mando as well as backing talkwards...yea...he may be gettin old..69..and yea..maybe ol Arthor-Ritas may have taken just a little from those nimble fingers of his..but the mans mind is as in tack as ever...truly a lesson in Monroe-esque tone and timing. There was a fairly good opening band..the S.O.B's....Southern Ohio Boys...three piece...mando..guitar and bass...they done alot of new acoustic stuff...old Grisman Quintet stuff...check 'em out. As I was leaving Frank played me Evening Prayer Blues...seemed like a fitting ending to a great night...I can still hear that haunting melody in my head.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Skip Kelley
Jan-31-2004, 9:22am
That is so cool! I bet you were on cloud nine all night. Frank is awesome!

Scotti Adams
Jan-31-2004, 9:41am
..yea it was pretty cool..havin Frank pattin me on the back after I would take a break...one more thing..he was using a Tone-Gard proudly....said he really liked it alot..

ethanopia
Jan-31-2004, 5:28pm
I'm bummed I didn't get to make it. It was so cold out last night I just couldn't make myself drive the hour and half over there for it. I iwsh I would have but whatever...

The mando player for the opening band Matt used to play with my banjo player in a band called the Down Home Band I think. They were out of Springfiled. He has that sweet new Collings and can really pick it too. I've never seen his Dawg band but his Bluegrass band is good also.

Scotti Adams
Jan-31-2004, 9:01pm
ya know..I thought that was a Collings he was playing..he didnt talk much or mingle..so i didnt get to talk to him..I hate to say it but I thought the Collings sounded kinda thin...could have been the sound system....I liked the guitar player...he was good..he name was Ryan..soemthing or other....

ethanopia
Feb-01-2004, 5:07pm
You know when my BRW was only about two weeks old, we compared the two (his Collings was one month old) and honestly they sounded really close in volume tone etc. We didn't compare to extensviely or anything but we jammed a bit at the B-Grass shop and they both were really sweet. The colors were actually fairly close too. I bet it was the sound system becasue it didn't sound thin to me...

Feb-05-2004, 5:20pm
Hey Scottie, looks like you had a great time at Frank's concert! #I played banjo with Frank on his 1980 release, "Blues Stay Away From Me." #I thought you'd like to know that this rare album has been remastered to CD and is available (with Frank's kind permission) at http://BluesStayAwayFromMe.com The album features Darol Anger on fiddle and many other Bay Area biggies! Check it out!Blues Stay Away From Me (http://www.BluesStayAwayFromMe.com)