PDA

View Full Version : Eastman 915 bummer -- and i bought it...

bjewell
Dec-22-2006, 11:33pm
I went over to Dr. Sound yesterday in the Ochanomizu district of Tokyo and purchased a 915 Eastman. It is a beauty, plays nice and sounds pretty good for a new instrument.

But when I got home and changed the strings, I noticed I could not center the bridge and get the strings to line up along the fretboard.

Then I noticed the tailpiece was cocked way to the right. It is clearly visible. Way off... So I took it back this morning. Guy didn't want to believe it at first, actually tried to strighten the piece with his thumb. Trouble is, the tailpiece is cast, so it is clearly in the wrong place on the rim. Now he says they will return it to Eastman's distributor in Tokyo for repair, including finish touch-up -- could take months.

Dr. Sound is part o the Kurosawa chain -- they aren't nearly as nice to deal with as Ishibashi or Shimokura. Don't know if I'll get my $$$ back -- 250,000 yen. I don't want a jimmied mandolin when it should be perfect as a new instrument. They don't have any other 915s in town.

Guess I shoulda bought something else, but the mandolin pickings are slim in Tokyo, and I had heard so much good stuff about Eastmanss stuff... go figure.

John Flynn
Dec-22-2006, 11:39pm
They should have given you your money back or a new mandolin. But maybe things are different in Japan. Any brand can have lemons. I have seen some of the "household name" US brands hanging new in stores with noticable defects. A tailpiece off center, a bowed neck, major finish flaws. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. I think you need to know what to look for AND you need a dealer who stands behind his product.

Greenmando
Dec-23-2006, 1:40am
Seems so wrong that they could not return your money if you returned right away. They must not have anyone doing setups in their store. Seems like they should offer you a loaner during this period.
I would give the blame here to the store and not Eastman. We are fortunate to have Steve Perry here in the states.

sbarnes
Dec-23-2006, 2:30am
friend of mine got a blond 915 locally and got a significant discount because of a small finish flaw...
i mean a really significant discount
all about the dealer i suppose....

f5loar
Dec-23-2006, 2:42am
Sounds like an easy fix but probably should be done at the factory level. If you could get a discount and fix the TP yourself would be best deal especially if you like this one.

Ray(T)
Dec-23-2006, 6:47am
Don't know what the law in Japan or the US for that matter but a good solution in the UK is to turn up a few minutes before the shop closes and refuse to budge. If they threaten to call the police - offer them your 'phone. In the UK such matters are covered by civil law and the police will have no interest if you're standing there quietly waiting to exercise your rights. If the owner wants to lock up and go home, its incredible how receptive they can become.

Jerry Byers
Dec-23-2006, 7:21am
It's funny that you mention the alignment of the tailpiece. I have noticed this very thing on several Eastmans. On some, it is very slight; on others, it is more pronounced. I don't think it's an issue with the tailpiece; I think the mounting template is not very precise. I'm assuming the tailpiece is mounted at the factory and not done with the dealers.

Stephen Perry
Dec-23-2006, 8:07am
Gotta watch images - a slight camera position variation makes things look off.

Pretty easy to plug & redrill holes. I've done that on many mandolins. Not just Eastman instruments - one brand is always crooked in the same way. Must have the jig off. But the crooked neck and crooked tailpiece kind of work together, so I leave them. Not Eastman either.

There's also a brand where the F holes, bridge, neck, and tailpiece are all a bit off. Weird. Clearly a jigging problem!

Then there are makes like Collings. Hardly a need to check!

Fretbear
Dec-23-2006, 9:47am
I was setting up my brother's MK and after installing a new nut and bridge, proceeded to spend at least as much time getting his skewed tailpiece to look right. It was a replacement cast one, so there was no bending allowed. After studying it for a long time, I ended up re-drilling the mounting screws and then shimming one of them with two tiny brass washers. It is to be expected on some the Pac rims, but it is best to have a good look at it before you take it home.

Red Englemann
Dec-23-2006, 10:26am
[QUOTE]I went over to Dr. Sound yesterday in the Ochanomizu district of Tokyo and purchased a 915 Eastman [QOUTE]

Tom
Glad to see you over here. How is the Authentic doing? We gotta get that GE hotrodded next year if you can get it to Tennessee. I gotta Eastman to. It sounds just like those old Gibson oval models , but a lot easier to play. Enjoy once you get it right.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Red (chuck) Engelmann

Stillpicking
Dec-23-2006, 11:58am
If it plays correctly and it is only a slight visual problem I would not send it out but go back to the store and give them two options. Say "I thought it over and I beleive what is fair is either a full refund or some money back as I will find a tech person to fix it". The partial refund will cover that cost. I actually did this once with a new mando which I actually purchased online and after a very nice email by me to the dealer I got a check in the mail covering the repair needed that I got locally.

Good luck

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

wayfaringstranger
Dec-23-2006, 12:22pm
Ah, natsukashii: japan's high cost of living. 250,000 yen for an Eastman = yikes. I very nearly bought an old D-18 from a local guitar dealer when I lived in Japan, and he talked me out of it, telling me I could get a much better guitar for the money if I just waited until I got back to the states.

Anyway, for that price, I'd probably insist on perfection, too. However, if you like the way the mandolin sounds and plays, I'd take the advice of others who are suggesting you just have it fixed (and ask them to cover the cost). Or, pocket the difference and play it with the tailpiece cocked - it won't affect the sound or the playability. I know: I bought a mandolin from a custom builder with a similar tailpiece issue, although I was able to center the strings on the fretboard. Wasn't a problem when I was playing it.

Good luck; hope you get it fixed.

ps - what are you doing in Tokyo?

bjewell
Dec-23-2006, 11:36pm
Okay, got the money back, no problem after I talked to the manager. Went over to "On The Boarder," a tiny shop owned by my very good friend, Dickie Kitano. He specializes in Bluegrass and C&W items.

Bought the cheapest series F-style Eaastman for 120,000 yen -- I know, but welcome to Japan.

It sounds great! And it is a beautiful instrument to boot, austere, but very clean and tidy looking. It also sounds much better than the 915, bigger, fatter with more depth. Maybe tyhe 915 will break in, I don't know much about mandos. I do know that the pad at the bottom of my thumb hurts like hell from rubbing against the top left (bass sidre) corner of the bridge. I have been playing like a fiend on this thing. Lots of fun!

Thanks guys. Now I've got about a 100 questions... -L-

Desert Rose
Dec-24-2006, 3:00am
You need to get your money back, period, INSIST on it and make a sxcene if necessary This is not done in Japan and will get results

Then you need to contact Dickie Kitano at ON THE BORDER in Suidobashi he has Eastmans in stock and will treat you great

He speaks GREAT english and teaches mandolin as well

Scott

In Matsumoto

bjewell
Dec-24-2006, 11:54pm
Dickie-Bob-san is an old friend. I bought the 500 series mandolin from him. I've been in Tokyo for almost 20 years... :- )

Desert Rose
Dec-26-2006, 6:35am
Wow me to this comming march is twenty one, all in Matsumoto.

I wonder if we have passed by each other before do you go to Hakone or Asagiri festival

Scott

bjewell
Dec-26-2006, 10:27pm
No, but I did the Sumo broadcasts in English on NHK for many years...

Tom Quinn

Desert Rose
Dec-27-2006, 6:50am
Hey Tom

I HAVE listened to you and remember the name, there was also a girl that was broadcasting at times too her name was Reiko
Scott

bjewell
Dec-27-2006, 9:23pm
Reiko, yeah a nice lady...

Drop me a line at ytmq945@hotmail.com and say hello...

Tq