PDA

View Full Version : Music transcribing software

reeljigs
Dec-21-2006, 9:18pm
Does anyone have recommendations on computer software that can transcribe music played on a CD into notation and chords? (And possibly also be able to playback the music at a slower speed) #I have some tunes on a CD I would like to learn, but there is no sheet music for it.
I have done some internet searching for it, and there seems to be some programs like that out there, but not sure which one works well.

thanks!

reeljigs
Dec-28-2006, 12:43pm
HI,
I just bumping this up and wondering if there is a better catagory to post this question. Does anyone know?
Thanks!

Pete Martin
Dec-28-2006, 2:58pm
This is not possible today unless the file is monophonic (just one instrument). Even then, there are a lot of errors. Maybe someday...

Get "Adacity", slow it down and learn it yourself. Not only will you learn the tunes, but you will get great ear training yourself, a big added benefit!

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

reeljigs
Dec-28-2006, 7:38pm
Thanks for the post. I came upon a website with something called 'Intelliscore ensemble'. It sounded like it could convert a CD to midi, and then to sheet music, but maybe I'm mistaken. Have you heard of this program.
thanks

August Watters
Dec-28-2006, 7:58pm
I see the page you're talking about here. (http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2006/Innovative-Music-Systems-Intelliscore-Software.html) Their claims are way beyond the the realistic capacity of software that's available now, so I'd take this with a bushel of salt. #Chances are it's going to be way easier to do it yourself -- and if you don't have the skills to listen to and transcribe the music, you won't be able to fix the program's mistakes!

Sorry to be such a skeptic, but I've heard SO many of these inflated claims by software companies selling a product that turns out to need years of revisions before approaching practical functionality. Anyone else remember the Finale 1-800 tech support line? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

groveland
Dec-28-2006, 10:50pm
Hey. When I was a kid, all I had was a 33 rpm running at 16... Yikes. Did I say that?

Read the ad's choice of words; you will be doing the work in the end, anyway -

...listens to prerecorded or live music ...comprised of several different instruments and helps create a multiple-track MIDI file containing the notes played, broken down by instrument. The MIDI file, in turn, is suitable for notation, cleanup/editing, and playback. Musicians and educators use ... to help transcribe unfamiliar pieces ....

Italics mine. The message I get is, more instruments in the source degrades performance, some notes of the tune can be automatically deciphered, and you as the intelligence behind it all put it together in a way that makes sense.

True, even the idea that software can do this much deserves a big hats-off to the developer, but it will be a long while before its capabilities truly outperform your own ears. And as things go, when that technology does come of age, we won't be able to afford it for a good while. Just my opinion.

So get that turntable out and put your ears to work - They're free and already installed.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

reeljigs
Dec-29-2006, 2:01am
Thank you SO, SO much for these replies. I guess I have been searching for something that isn't in existence yet. I can now stop that hunt!

Pete mentioned the 'Audicity' program for slowing down music. I have also heard of the 'Amazing Slowdowner'. Does anyone have a recommendation on either?

thanks again!

BluegrassWarehouse
Dec-29-2006, 12:09pm
For slowdowners, I have tried Audacity, Amazing Slow Downer, Transkriber, the application in Windows XP, Renegade, Transcribe!, Guitar and Drum Trainer, Best Practice, and others I can't think of right now.

While all are good, by *far* the best is Transcribe! when it comes to the quality of the slowed down music. It also has lots of useful options on it, such as a chord finder, displaying the music in a graphical/sound wave pattern (nice feature!) looping, and lots of others. Some of the other programs have similar features, but do *not* have the sound quality. Most sound "ok" slowed down at 50%, but more than that and there is too much distortion. All programs will have distortion, but Transcribe! still had better sound when playing at speeds as slow as 15%.

Lance