PDA

View Full Version : Australian Mandolin CDs

margora
May-01-2004, 4:12pm
To all who are interested in sampling the Australian mandolin CDs that we hear about from time to time: the Berkshire Record Outlet (www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com) has several of these for $5.99 each. I ordered the one with Eric Gross' concerto #2 for mandolin and orchestra. The piece is excellent -- complex, modern language, but still quite tonal and accessible, with a very involved mandolin part. Paul Hooper is the soloist. He is an incredible player.

barbaram
May-03-2004, 1:50am
As the person who commissioned Dr Eric Gross to write his Mandolin Concerto No.2 can I also suggest his Mandolin Concerto No.1 (which I also commissioned). Many people believe his Concerto No.1 to be even better.

In fact, all of Prof Gross' works for Mandolin are superb especially his series of Cadenzas for solo mandolin (ten works so far).

Perhaps his best work is Quartet for Mandolin and String Trio-truely wonderful. However, I am not sure if the Berkshire Record Outlet (www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com) stocks it.

barbaram
May-04-2004, 5:22am
You can also hear quite a few of the JADECD Series at

http://www.cdbaby.com/

The JADECD series has a great deal of mandolin music highlighting
Paul Hooper, Michael Hooper and the Sydney Mandolins.

Enter a search for Jade (the label) or just mandolin. I just searched for Gross (the composer) and a lot of jade CDs featuring the mandolin were found.