PDA

View Full Version : Strap

Les Moore
Dec-20-2006, 4:22pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a longtime guitar player who recently caught mandolin fever.

Play my new Michael Kelly dragonfly obsessively.

Finding my way around the fretboard well enough, but stumped over how to put on the strap.

Have one of those straps that has a loop on one end, but can't find what part of the instrument the loop is supposed to go around.

There's no way to "unloop" the loop to slide it under the strings just above the nut on the headstock.

Sure I'm overlooking something really simple, and wonder if any of you veteran mandolinists could explain where to attach the loop to the mandolin.

Thank you in advance for your explanation. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Brad Weiss
Dec-20-2006, 4:32pm
I think your MK should have a scroll, which the loop of your strap should fit over (why some A style afficianados refer to the scroll as a "strap hanger"). The other end of the strap should have some kind of aperture that fits around the endpin- voila!

Hope that does it!

Jim Broyles
Dec-20-2006, 6:25pm
Mr. Monroe's strap:

mythicfish
Dec-20-2006, 7:40pm
If - after seeing the photo - you still want to use the headstock, put the loop over the strings instead of under them.
But that would be "uncool" ... unless you're a monster musician.

Curt

Walter Newton
Dec-20-2006, 8:03pm
There's no way to "unloop" the loop to slide it under the strings just above the nut on the headstock. #
I suppose if you wanted to you could put it on when changing strings...

mandroid
Dec-20-2006, 9:05pm
I have a thin flat strap with a buckle in the middle , once its unbuckled sliding the strap end under the strings, around the middle of the headstock [didn't care for it just behind the nut] , then making the loop, and re buckling it into one of the several holes to adjust the length.
Don't own any big Stetsons, so I have the strap over my head and left shoulder , in a manner a Guitar player would be familiar.