PDA

View Full Version : first open mic  pretty successful

ira
May-01-2004, 12:06pm
hosted the first of our weekly open mics last night, and it was a blast. was nervous that nobody would show up and that we would play like (*&(*%$# .
but, had a decent turn out for the first time. over the course of the night, probably 30-40 people. 5 performers (6 if you count the lady who asked if she could get up and sing one) beside my partner and myself. music ranged from country to blues to modern folk and traditional folk tunes. lots of originals. audience seemed to like it, and we got a bunch of "see you next weeks" as we packed up our equiptment.

my partner taped us through the p.a., and even with some flubs and first night sound balance issues, we sounded pretty darn good. makes a great night seem even better!

lots of fun! excited for next week!

ira

ps- interesting to note. all of the performers, including ourselves were educated, and out of the 7 people who played, 6 were special educators, who work with emotionally/behaviorally involved children (we only knew one of them from our school, so that means 3 others came who we didn't know who also work with ed/bd kids). don't know what that says about the link between music and educators. just thought it was an interesting connection.

harwilli55
May-01-2004, 12:27pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif music and working with ed kids go hand in hand.

I worked with ed teens for 20 years in a wilderness setting where we and the kids lived in tents we built year round. One of the greatest ways of engaging the group, was after hauling trees on our shoulders in the wet miserable cold rain and snow, would be to sit at the fire singing and playing teaching them group songs.

Those songs came in handy when we would go on our 30 day hiking trips and our 30 day canoing trips. A group of 10-12 teenage boys belting out Shady Grove while climbing 45 degree slopes for miles was awe inspiring to us, although never to the wildlife http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Ahhhh tis good to reminsce of those days, Glad that your open mike went so well and it sounds as if it will become a great place to meet like minded people both musically and personally.

Harlan

iampeterfonda
May-01-2004, 8:16pm
Hi Ira,

Glad the open mic went well. I’m moving back to the States next week after 8 years here in Japan and will be based on the Cape for the summer, at least. I’m sure I’ll be spending some time in Boston and I’ll try and stop in some Friday to listen and maybe play.

Harlan, that’s a great image—all those kids hiking and singing Shady Grove.

Clayton

ira
May-02-2004, 7:30am
clayton- love to have you so come on over and pick a little. we would be a nice stop to or from the cape. great antiquing in our town as well if you get here early enough. (not much else to do though unless you like horses or farm stands).

wow- japan to mass. thats quite the move.