PDA

View Full Version : River city bluegrass festival

Clyde Clevenger
Dec-19-2006, 12:02am
The Emerald Valley Boys with special guest Alex Hargreaves will be opening the Festival on Saturday and Sunday mornings at 11 AM. They must really like us, maybe if we got a promo pack we could play after noon, and not on the "other" stage. Actually I'm thrilled to be playing with Alex and in the same building with Emmylou.

Pretty good lineup we are opening for. David Grisman Bluegrass Experience, Rhonda Vincent and the Rage, Lonview, Larry Sparks, The Nashville Bluegrass Band,, Tony Rice and Peter Rowan, John Reischman and the Jaybirds and did I mention Emmylou and Carolina Star (John Starling, Mike Auldridg, Tom Gray, Ricki Simpkins, and Jimmy Gaudreau,too bad she couldn't find a good band)

Reischman is doing a workshop at 11 AM on Saturday, so I won't have to be judged by all the mandomaniacs. Sorry I have to miss it.

www.rivercitybluegrass.com

Clyde Clevenger
Dec-19-2006, 12:21pm
A note about Alex. At 14 he seems to play everything well. Jazz and classical well enough that Mark O'Conner awarded him the Daniel Pearl violin last year, Dawg well enough to get invited to Dawg house and to play with his son in a band, old time/Texas swing well enough to win the national junior title at Weizer this year. BUT, can he play the Bluegrass. Last gig we played with him, I had to look over to see that it wasn't Bobby Hicks playing with us. And you should hear him play the mandolin, yikes! He's thinking of buying Collings and studying it a little. I think that's a terrible idea???

mandopete
Dec-19-2006, 12:23pm
Way to go Clyde - sounds like a fantastic gig!

Clyde Clevenger
Dec-27-2006, 10:56am
Anyone going? For the first time in years I have time to pick, just two easy sets to play and the rest of the time is mine. I'm enjoying being slacker.

tiltman
Dec-27-2006, 1:06pm
I'll be there...looking forward to it.
Incredible line up.
Kirk

Salmon Man
Jan-02-2007, 1:25pm
I've never been, but am going to try. Anyone know how kid-friendly it is? My wife and 3 year old might be interested.
Thanks

Clyde Clevenger
Jan-02-2007, 2:14pm
The convention center is huge, with lots of carpeted space for a 3 year old to run. The main stage are is not carpeted but has lots of room if you need to work the edge with a kid.
Lots of little kids climbing the bleachers last year, I ended up with one in my lap, which is okay, I'm Santa Claus.