PDA

View Full Version : Pomeroy mandola in progress

johnwalser
Dec-16-2006, 2:37pm
Here are the first pictures and a list of the specs I have asked Don to use for my Pomeroy Blackface H2 Style Mandola. The specs I have chosen are based on my hands, playing technique, what feels comfortable to me and then throwing darts at multicolored balloons. I’m fairly certain it will get better looking as time goes on. I will post pictures as I receive them and a post on playability and a tone review when it arrives here in my mountain fortress (7000 ft. up in the High Sierra) in mid January. I am planing on taking it with me to LoarFest and hopefully, many others will get a chance to play it.
John
Red spruce top with x bracing.
Figured maple back, sides and neck.
Bound in Ivoroid on the top and back .
Headstock and fingerboard bound with the plain ivoroid binding.
Snake head shaped headstock with Pomeroy inscription inlaid in MOP with decorative vines like the one you sold last year
1 & 1/4" neck width at nut.
15 & 7/8" scale length
Flat fretboard.
Slightly fatter frets you have been using recently. Fingerboard as short as possible WITHOUT being cut off square, The slight curve on the one last year was very nice.Fingerboard like the original with the decorative vines.
Quite rounded V neck profile with medium thicknessShop built adj. ebony bridge and saddle Gold Allen MR2 tailpiece
Schaller tuners in gold
Strap button in gold on underside of neck, tail pin (ebony) always included.Blackface top
Coloring like the instrument you sold last year.
Finish is nitrocellulose lacquer in gloss.
Custom Cedar Creek hard shell case
Thomastick Infeld strings in stark (hard)

johnwalser
Dec-16-2006, 2:39pm
First Pics

LKN2MYIS
Dec-16-2006, 4:16pm
Sounds like it will be wonderful.

Don is incredible to work with, and a truly wonderful luthier.
Please keep us updated with the photos he'll be sending you.

Ted Eschliman
Dec-16-2006, 4:32pm
...what feels comfortable to me and then throwing darts at multicolored balloons.
Don't laugh, John. That's a good way to visualize proper pick grip. (Especially while holding a multicolored clown barf pick).

Looks pretty cool! No doubt once you get the new Dola, you'll be just like me when I got mine last week, and swear off any new mando purchases for the rest of your life. (At least as far as Freda knows...)

johnwalser
Dec-22-2006, 8:31pm
Pictures that arrived today 12/22/06

johnwalser
Dec-22-2006, 8:32pm
More pictures that arrived today 12/22/06

johnwalser
Dec-31-2006, 5:50pm
Pictures from 12/31/06

johnwalser
Dec-31-2006, 5:51pm
More pictures from 12/31/06

Kevin Briggs
Jan-01-2007, 4:14pm
Looks sweet. Just wait until you hear that baby hummmmmmmm.

johnwalser
Jan-05-2007, 5:51pm
Here we are in the white on #92 mandola. Just a few more weeks now.

johnwalser
Jan-05-2007, 5:53pm
and these.....

johnwalser
Jan-16-2007, 9:40pm
Here are pictures with color and finish.
John

johnwalser
Jan-16-2007, 9:42pm
and a few more.

MML
Jan-16-2007, 9:59pm
Very nice http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

stevem
Jan-17-2007, 12:03am
Looks fantastic! Great colors. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mehrsam
Jan-17-2007, 8:19am
When I saw the latest pictures of this beauty, I let out a very audible sigh, and since it was during my long day of work in a cube farm, my "neighbors" naturally had to come over to see what was on my screen. Their responses were "I don't understand why you get so excited over those mandolins/ukeleles/little guitars/things..."

Other folks have pictures of their husbands, wives, kids, grandkids, pets, sports figures, refrigerator art and/or cars on their computers and walls. I have mandolins. It's a disease which thankfully has no cure.

Beautiful 'dola.

Kevin Briggs
Jan-29-2007, 8:43pm
I love the back and sides and how they contrast witht he top. It looks so woody and natural.

Kevin Briggs
Jan-29-2007, 8:43pm
...kind of like a real tiger, woody and natural. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

mythicfish
Jan-29-2007, 9:06pm
Wow! That's a lot prettier than my old 1913 H2 blacktop.
All those pictures make me glad that I just have to play 'em and not make 'em.

Curt

johnwalser
Jan-29-2007, 9:49pm
Here are the final pictures from Don. TI strings I wanted were not available anywhere in time for me to take mandola to LoarFest, but they did arrive Saturday. I will get this beauty next Monday or Tuesday. Don has described tone to me with the Thomastik strings and it should be perfect for what I want. I'll post a review once I get it home and get to bang on it a bit. Maybe I can do a small sound file for those interested.
John

johnwalser
Jan-29-2007, 9:50pm
more...

johnwalser
Jan-29-2007, 9:51pm
and these.

JEStanek
Jan-29-2007, 10:06pm
Exquisite! What lines and colors. You must be about to pop waiting to play that thing. Congrats to Don and you.

Jamie

johnwalser
Feb-08-2007, 6:37pm
My new Pomeroy mandola arrived last night and while it is stunning to look at, it is anything but a pretty face. I would have been happy if the tone had been half as good as what arrived and the sustain rings until the cows come home. My "slightly tone deaf, but lovely lady" wife can even understand how special this instrument sounds. The deep rich sounds that emit from this wonderful instrument stirs you right down to your toes. If I had gotten this in time for LoarFest, Don Paine would have a three year wait list by now. This is just the finest instrument he has built and a harbinger of great things to come or he should have already been up there on the very short list of world's finest luthiers.
I guess you would say I'm "moderately" happy and as soon as the blood drops stop flowing from my fingers, I'm going to play it for another four or five hours.
The bad news is I can’t see how the sound could improve much with time, but then, it really doesn't need to improve any to keep me VERY happy.
John

John Hill
Feb-08-2007, 7:15pm
That's awesome! Congratulations.

...must...fight...mandola..acquisition..syndrome.. .

John

johnwalser
Feb-08-2007, 7:51pm
John,
Do not fight mandola acquisition syndrome......embrace it! Because of my love of jazz standards and Broadway tunes, the mandola fits quite well in filling the sounds that play in my mind. I'm sure you would find music that would be perfect on a mandola. I will be playing my new mandola at chapel this Sunday ( it helps being married to the pastor ) and hymns sound really cool on this instrument.
John

johnwalser
Feb-09-2007, 6:29pm
I did a 350k mp3 sound file of this instrument if you want to hear this bad boy's voice. email me at jhw@wildblue.net

John