PDA

View Full Version : F-12 at greg boyd's

ashemando
Dec-16-2006, 12:23pm
Wondering if anyone has first hand experience with the F-12
with Randy Wood modifications listed ? Thoughts on tone, and on owning such a modified instrument?

f5loar
Dec-16-2006, 12:29pm
Randy Wood has done some excellent 50's/60's F5-F12 converstions. Probably can't go wrong but price could be the leaning factor. I would want to pick on it first before commit to buy it. Depending on what year it was should be a price factor too and type inlay he did on it.

jasona
Dec-16-2006, 12:52pm
One of the loudest, most responsive, and so-open-the-grains-practically-rattled mandolins I played was an F12-F5 conversion done by Randy Wood that was sold at the 12th Fret a fwe years ago. I wish I could have bought it on the spot. It had a chop that I felt could shatter glass.

John Rosett
Dec-16-2006, 1:06pm
i've done alot of business with greg, and i'm pretty sure he'd give you a couple of days to check it out, and would let you return it if you weren't happy.

Rick Schmidlin
Dec-16-2006, 1:53pm
The F 12 Randy Wood would sure be worth a spin if interested.

Brian T
Dec-18-2006, 6:33am
A friend of mine has a 1968 F-12 that was converted by Randy. Can't speak for any others as this is the only one I have heard, but this one is a hoss.

LeoR
Dec-19-2006, 8:12am
The first truly great mandolin I played was a converted F12 by Randy. This was 1975 when great mandolins weren't as common as today. I have played 3 more since (converted F5/F12's from the 50's & 60's). All were just smokin' hot.

A friend of mine has a 70's F-5 that Randy reworked the braces and regraduated the top ONLY - no refinish or any other work. It made even that mandolin into a great mandolin; thick finish, heavy wood, wrong arch and all. It's amazing - best 70's F-5 I ever played by far.

Randy Wood in my opinion is a national treasure and one of the first that got it right since LL.

Right now he is converting a 1967 F12 for me. I'll post pics once it's complete. Should be done by late January. Perfect candidate for conversion - binding was deteriorating, had a few small cracks, bad neckset, awesome wood, great potential.

Happy Holidays.

AeroJoe
Dec-20-2006, 2:29pm
What would be the ball park cost to have this done, if one were to choose to have an F-12 worked on, as the ones above were? I have a great F-12 from the late-50's early 60's, I would love Dr. Randy Wood to get his hands on it...but I will say it does not sound bad now, but if he can do the incredible things as some of you mentioned above, man, I'm glad I got that mando when I did. I have met him only once, years ago...he was dead tired, probably having worked on someone's instrument all nite no doubt, but you talk about one nice person to meet... ...and learn from. He mentioned several somethings about mandolin construction that went a little over my head, but he did this in a way that did not make me feel be-littled, just very, very curious. If someone would, PLEASE post how to get into contact with him. I don't even know where he lives anymore...I know it was Nashville at one time. "Obi-Wan Kenobi's" like Mr. Wood are getting harder and harder to come by...be thankful they are still some around. I sure am. Thanks and have a blessed Christmas!

ashemando
Dec-20-2006, 2:34pm
He has a website. Google him.

AeroJoe
Dec-20-2006, 2:48pm
Thanks J...

LeoR
Dec-20-2006, 3:37pm
You'll probably need to call him. 912-748-1930

He will want to talk about what you want. Generally doesn't do e-mail.

I can almost guarantee it'll be worth it. That Gibson's voice is really waiting to come out.

Leo R.

f5joe
Dec-20-2006, 5:41pm
I sold my '54 F12 Randy Wood conversion a few years ago. It was a Sam Bush-ish style conversion completed in 1986. Wow! Great stuff. I found I wasn't playing it after getting my Dude.

Highly recommend his conversion work.

f5loar
Dec-20-2006, 10:51pm
I'd rather have an all original '54 F12 but to hear F5Joe do the "Stomp" on a '54 Wood Converstion----priceless!!!!

f5loar
Dec-21-2006, 9:37pm
You got that right. F5Joe has never hit the same lick twice on the "Stomp". Like his Father before him(Bill Monroe)Joe is always searching for the ultimate "Stomp" lick and someday he hopes to find it but until then all you can do is stand back and watch the fire and wonder how in the heck did he do that because it will never be repeated.

f5joe
Dec-21-2006, 9:44pm
I'm outraged! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif