PDA

View Full Version : Chris Thile and the Dudenbostel

mandowood
Apr-30-2004, 9:45pm
I saw Nickel Creek in concert tonight in Richmond, VA. Great show- Chris Thile was as awesome as ever! He was playing a Dude (without a broken headstock?!?) that had an armrest on it. It looked to me that he had much more freedom of motion than I do normally (Not that I'm anywhere near his ability, mind you...), and I was wondering if maybe the armrest helped. Anyone know if the armrest was built by Lynn Dudenbostel or if there are some like it on the market? Thanks...

spud
Apr-30-2004, 10:28pm
Weber makes a armrest/tailpiece setup..probably others out there also...
Elderly has the armrest on their website!

------------
Boyd

Jedi Bri
May-01-2004, 12:10am
Mandowood,
I attended the very same concert in Richmond, and I agree fully that it was exceptional. #I had prime seats, dead center, about 15 yards back. #As for the armrest, I noticed both he and Mike Marshall use them in their duet concert at Woodsongs. #This got me curious, so I did some searching. #I believe their armrests are made by Siren. #Siren Armrest (http://www.sirenstringworks.com/accessories.html) #You can buy them cheaper here. #Siren Armrest elsewhere (http://www.janetdavismusic.com/sirenarmrest.html) #I have my reservations about the Weber armrests permenantly attached to the tailpiece. #It would force you to replace your existing tailpiece (which may be quite adequate) and you wouldn't have the option of removing the armrest. #You may also want to look at this similar armrest by King Brown. #King Brown (http://kingbrown.netfirms.com/accessories.html) #I would go with one of these--the Siren or King Brown, as they'd offer ample flexibility. #As for Thile, he possibly acquired the armrest before his Into the Cauldron tour and liked it so much that he left it on. #I hope this helps.
-Brian

mandowood
May-01-2004, 6:55am
Thanks, I appreciate the help. The siren looks good and looks like what Thile was using. I did a search on arm rests and was reading a little about the cork leaving imprints on a varnish finish. Anybody had any experience with this? I guess it's better than wearing it away on the top, but...
I definitely like the removable one from Siren. Might have to pick one up.

The concert was great! We were actually on the second row right between Sean and Chris- unbelievable! I like that strap Chris was using, too. It looked like webbing or something. That was the first time I'd heard the cover of "2 turntables and a microphone"- it was pretty cool!

SternART
May-01-2004, 8:19am
Those are indeed Siren Armrests made by Steve Smith down in Texas. I hooked those fellas up, Mike saw my armrest so I got him one, then Chris needed one. I like the way my arm is positioned with it, I don't rest my hand on the corner of the bridge saddle as much. I hooked Mike up with a ToneGard too. Those make every mandolin I've tried them on sound better, including Mike's Loar!

dixiecreek
May-01-2004, 10:36am
That was the first time I'd heard the cover of "2 turntables and a microphone"- it was pretty cool!
that song is SO fun!! normally I'm not into rap at all, but when there's a Nickel Creek spin on it I find myself grinning and boppin my head, haha ;)

did they do the whole fox-->drone-->fox thing at your show, too? oh man... such a fun encore!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

bflat
May-01-2004, 12:15pm
so does it attach to the instrument, clamp on the edge?

Jedi Bri
May-01-2004, 4:13pm
bflat,
yes and yes

Cheryl Watson
May-31-2004, 10:17am
The Siren armrest is a great product! I sanded mine until the edges were smooth as silk for even more comfort for my arm and I keep it oiled twice a year with walnut oil. Looks great, feels great, opens the top right up without your arm lying across it stopping some of the top's vibrations. I know a mandolin addict who has many highend mandos and every one of them has a siren attached and he went and sanded and oiled every single one of them after I told him what I did http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif Cute how we can effect others, huh?

I thought that Chris uses a Dudenbostel arm rest that is smaller than the Siren, but I was wrong 'bout that.

foggyvalley
May-31-2004, 8:16pm
Does anyone know if they make a left handed arm rest?

stanley
Jun-01-2004, 12:23pm
Also, will they fit onto a Rigel? It seems like they might need a 90 degree edge to clamp to.

Bill

Christine W
Jun-03-2004, 6:22am
Thanks for the tip. I bought one from FQMS yesterday for $35 and it's great I love it. Makes my mando louder and it's more comfy. What a difference it makes

kingbrown
Jul-31-2004, 3:55pm
The King Brown Standard Mandolin Arm rest is designed so that it is suitable for Left or Right Handers. The Over-The-Tailpiece (OT) Model is available in Left or Right Handed. All models are available in a choice or Ebony or Maple and customization is also possible eg MOP Inlaying. Modifications are also available to fit Mandos with a small radius at the edge and those with deeper than normal bodies eg Freshwater Deep Box.King Brown Hand Crafts (www.kingbrownhandcrafts.com)

jmkatcher
Jul-31-2004, 7:06pm
I think it would be really difficult to fit a Rigel. My G-110 has a very radical radius at top and bottom. Maybe it's something about the shape, but I find I don't lean on it or over it as I do on my Weber Gallatin.

I have a King Brown armrest on that, and I recommend it heartily and David Brown in general. No connection, just a happy customer.

djeffcoat
Aug-01-2004, 9:15am
Steve Smith (Siren) can make lefty arm rests. I have one on each of my lefties.

Don Jeffcoat

Rroyd
Aug-03-2004, 5:06pm
While everyone's talking about Thile, I have a tasty rumor. #Josh Williams, an old friend of Chris', told me Chris was getting a Dude with a Verzi tone-reducer for "something different." #

Rroyd
Aug-04-2004, 10:09am
Gee, imagine my suprise to find that I posted here, and to discover that my cafe identity had been hijacked. Hopefully, the problem has been rectified, and the hijacking incidents will not occur again.

craig
Aug-06-2004, 6:32am
FWIW, i have a Siren Armrest. i love the way it feels. it didn't damage the instrument--varnish or wood. BUT, it significantly affected the tone and volume. i had it on for well over a year. then, i took it off just to clean the instrument. there was a significant difference to my ear. so, i don't use it anymore. i've learned to hold my arm a little lighter to the mando. otherwise, it's a real nice product.

craig