PDA

View Full Version : Chris stanley

sgarrity
Dec-14-2006, 6:53pm
Now that is just perfect!!!! And I thought my MAS was cured......Darn your hide Shayne! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

jasona
Dec-14-2006, 6:57pm
Mmmmmm, yes please. I'll take one.

Lane Pryce
Dec-14-2006, 7:34pm
Oh yeah!!! Nice figure in this one; I especially like the pattern in the neck. Something about the A style does just get right next to me. The only way I can characterize it is the overall simplicity of the style and the big sound they make. You just gotta love em. Very nice mandolin BTW. Thanks for the treat. Lp

Jonathan James
Dec-14-2006, 10:00pm
Man, that is gorgeous! Makes an F-guy want an A for sure.

Lane Pryce
Dec-15-2006, 9:15am
How bout a close up of the tailpiece. Lp

Bill Van Liere
Dec-15-2006, 9:44am
You know, I am not one to ooh and aah over every new mandolin that come across the board, but that mandolin is gorgeous. Outstanding finish on stunning wood, excellent work Chris.

This is the type of instrument that makes many of us a little nuts.

Better think of something real nice to do for the wife, because I can see (guessing it sounds as well as it looks)regret in letting that mando go.

pickinNgrinnin
Dec-15-2006, 10:26am
Shayne-

I'm coveting your collection of Mandos http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif This A style Stanley looks great.

Did you get your SP back from Stefan yet?

Mark Walker
Dec-15-2006, 10:42am
That's a beauty. As a lover of prominent grain patterns on mandolin backs, I really like that one! Enjoy! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Kevin K
Dec-15-2006, 11:51am
Shayne,
Have you still got your Ellis and Passernig?

Kevin K
Dec-15-2006, 2:06pm
mandopluker,
you have mail
Thanks,
Kevin

Jonas
Dec-16-2006, 5:11am
No disrespect, I'm just curious... Why is it that you have so many?

Thanks,
Jonas

John M. Riley
Dec-16-2006, 12:34pm
whats the price on the a styles by Chris??

Jonas
Dec-16-2006, 12:37pm
I never said you had too many! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif Just asked why you had so many... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif I thought maybe you were like a collector or something. Are you?

I also lust after a new mandolin quite often. I am playing my IV kit since a year and a half, and though the sound is fine, it's not really top notch in playability and eveness across the strings. I can't really decide between saving for a new mandolin, or putting the money in building a few more (and maybe then get a better one to play).

JAK
Dec-17-2006, 6:11pm
Richard Johnston, co-owner of Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA (a great store by the way!), gave a workshop in which he said, "If you have more than two of the same type instrument (mando, guitar, etc.), then you are a COLLECTOR. You may be a player, but you are also a collector." I think it depends on your perception of collector....I know someone who has a number of mandolins, and he said that he plays more often because he has a number of mandolins, because if he just had one he would get tired of it and not play so often. So, when he gets tired of playing one mandolin for awhile, he switches to another, and his motivation to play returns.

red7flag
Dec-18-2006, 10:09am
Shayne, congrats on a beauty. #That strongly figured back looks awfully similar to the F5 back on the one he has coming my way. #I wonder if they are from the same tree? I hope you can figure a way to keep it.
Tony

Phil Jolly
Dec-18-2006, 4:31pm
Man, I want that mandolin. That is just...wow. I talked to Chris about it, but just don't think I can do it. I had a hard enough time saying no just from that, you must be superhuman to be able to part with it after having it for a while...

man doh
Dec-18-2006, 9:43pm
I'm not sure what is going on here, but does that mean this A-5 is for sale?

fatt-dad
Dec-18-2006, 10:04pm
I'm not sure what is going on here, but does that mean this A-5 is for sale?
I'd bet that Charles Johnson has had a few calls tonight (unless he's keeping it for himself).

f-d

woodysny
Dec-27-2006, 8:32pm
Charles has listed the A5 for sale - only $3850. He also has a new F5 for $7500.

dstretch
Dec-27-2006, 11:17pm
Hey Shayne

Sounds like you are really increasing the collection. Are you still working on your A stew-mac? Hope you and your wife had a great Chistmas. Keep in touch, and let me know how #3 is doing

Danny

red7flag
Dec-28-2006, 9:37am
I ordered my Stanley after hearing about them here at the cafe and playing 3 at a table at SPBGMA about a year ago, including one in the white. I was just amazed and ordered one about a week later. About a month before getting mine, I realized that there really is no point in my keeping two bluegrass oriented F models, the Stanley and the Collings MF and that once the dust cleared I was going to have to sell one. I was wondering what I would do if the Collings sounded better. Then the day came and tried the Stanley and was very impressed, but would it be better than the Collings? I delayed this test, as I was worried about the result. But I finally went for it. I played a number of songs on the Collings. They sounded great. I played the same on the Stanley. Even though the Stanley has not opened up, it clearly had the superior sound. Not more, but a fuller richer sound. The Collings is is more of a Banjo Buster and can cut through metal, which a banjo is in part. A funny side angle. Head to head I liked the Collings over the Pomeroy, but the Pomeroy stacked up better against the Stanley than the Collings did, maybe because it is more of a singer, too. These are only my observations and only of these particular instruments. I am now reluctantly making feelers to sell the Collings.
Tony

Lee
Dec-28-2006, 12:56pm
Fascinating three-way comparison.
Illustrates that louder is not always better.

Russ Jordan
Jan-05-2007, 1:17pm
The Stanley A is sold. Who is the lucky new owner?