PDA

View Full Version : Bay state mandolin

Steve Davis
Dec-14-2006, 1:07pm
In the thread about the 106-year-old mandolin player, C. Yardley Chittick there is a picture of his Bay State mandolin. He is wondering about its value as he is considering donating to his fraternity at MIT from which he graduated in 1920. Does anybody have any information?

Steve Davis
Dec-14-2006, 2:09pm
It was apparently made by the John C. Haynes Co. in Boston near the beginning of the last century.

Jim Garber
Dec-14-2006, 4:07pm
I just emailed a friend who is an expert on Boston made instruments.

Most of the Bay States I have seen have been rather plain ones. Nothing Like Mr. Chittick's. As you probably can surmise, American bowlbacks are not worth all that much since most folks don't like them. This one is extra fancy so might have some value but I would be surprised if it is valued at more than $1000. He prob needs a pro appraisal for the tax write-off. Then again he may not care that much about taxes -- in which case, why does he need to know the value. Hmmmm...

Jim

Bob A
Dec-14-2006, 6:17pm
FWIW, except for Martins, the most I've seen asked for US bowlbacks is about $1800, for a Vega Pettine Special. A Larson Bros Stahl in fancy trim went for 1500.

I wonder if the back of the instrument in question has fluted ribs?