PDA

View Full Version : Carver a  finished

PaulO
Dec-12-2006, 10:40am
Here are some shots of Carver A-5 #6. Chris Standridge has made me a beautiful mando. It has a wonderful voice with lots of bark and sustain. It's varnished with a James tailpiece. Hope you all enjoy.

Paul O'Mara
Rome, GA

PaulO
Dec-12-2006, 10:42am
Here is the back of the Carver A

PaulO
Dec-12-2006, 10:43am
Another shot of the backside

fwoompf
Dec-12-2006, 11:34am
Looks fantastic! I'm going to get my new mandolin soon too! 'Tis the season, I suppose. Blackfaces are so cool...

Lane Pryce
Dec-12-2006, 12:13pm
Very nice A. Congratulations. How was your mandolion setup?
Low action,med or med heavy strings? Lp

Nolan
Dec-12-2006, 12:46pm
Sweet!
That flame looks awesome!

PaulO
Dec-12-2006, 1:42pm
It plays real easy so I'd say it's on the low side. Chris did a great setup. The volume is even all the way across. By the way the top is Engleman and he chose ebony for the nut. No complaints here. This is my first step up from a pac rim and I'm very pleased. The neck is a little thicker than my other but I really like how it feels. I seem to get more clarity from the notes, perhaps that's the instrument, but I like the sound way better than what I have been working with.

Paul

Nolan
Dec-12-2006, 2:59pm
I sat with Chris last year at Wintergrass and played all his mandolins for quite some time... they were all good. #You are in a whole new class now compared to a pac-rim mandolin.

squirrelabama
Dec-14-2006, 1:09pm
Chris has a knack for dialing in "that" sound we all love and crave. I had the fortune of getting to play #5, a black topped F with an engleman top, with many of the same appointments as this new A, and let me tell you, #5 has the magic, and I think it is still available...ask Chris...

PaulO
Dec-15-2006, 5:34am
Chris tells me that my #6 really impressed his ears. I think#5 may be a quilted back and he thought that mine with the red maple had something he liked even better! Beats the heck out of me. A week of playing this has been a joy. It's a real powerful sound in such a small package.

Paul

Christopher Standridge
Dec-15-2006, 8:24pm
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. #
Paul, I am pleased that you are happy with your mandolin and even more relieved that it arrived to you in one piece.( It was supposed to be there on a Wed, but didn't geththere til Fri.)
To clear up a couple of things, I have a rather unorthadox method of numbering my instruments. #I have built over 3 dozen stringed instruments. #However, a few years ago I relocated my shop and re-tooled, new molds, and started renumbering from zero each instrument type. #Eg...#1 F5, #1 A5, #1twin point, #1 guitar, etc...
The #5 Squirell is talking about is an F5 with the same woods as Paul's A5. #There was a #8 F5 that had Engelman top and slab, 1- piece quilt back, that sounded different than both of the other Engelmans in reference.
I have been messing around with cross braced oval holes, and here is my first twin point oval hole.
Just strung up a second ago...

Christopher Standridge
Dec-15-2006, 8:33pm
here it is

Christopher Standridge
Dec-15-2006, 8:47pm
Big leaf back, courtesey of Bruce..

Christopher Standridge
Dec-16-2006, 12:01am
detail