PDA

View Full Version : Gibson f9 or collings mf?

sluggo
Dec-11-2006, 10:51pm
I am wanting to upgrade. I really do not have much of an opportunity to try out different mandolins due to my job and living in rural Illinois.
I have narrowed it down between two, the Gibson F9 and the Collings MF.
I would appreciate any input.

red7flag
Dec-11-2006, 11:17pm
As you can see I have a Collings MF. I tried out the F9s too. They are a fine instrument too. Personally I like the way the Collings plays better and the overall sound. As you must know, there is a bit of a price difference, but to me it is worth that difference and more. Just my take. But, had I not gotten the MF, I would have gotten a particular F9 that was at the Showcase at that time. It was sold very soon after it showed up. Was a cannon.
Tony

sgarrity
Dec-11-2006, 11:17pm
You're going to get a lot of opinions here but in my not so humble opinion, Collings makes a consistently better product. You can buy one sight unseen/unplayed and feel pretty comfortable you're going to get a good one. With Gibson, they tend to be all over the map. A lot of 'em are just ok, some are good and on occassion they crank out a great one. With Gibson, their higher end models tend to be better than their standard models. I had the pleasure of hearing/playing 3 great Gibsons this past weekend. But none of them were an F9.

I think there are a few used MF's in the classifieds right now for about $3000-3300. Darn good deals on great instruments.

No financial interest, blah, blah, blah.........

Shaun

mandowoulfe
Dec-11-2006, 11:18pm
Not to change the subject completely, but what part of Illinois? I'm here in Central Illinois, right around Peoria.
(Sorry for the thread hijack)

sluggo
Dec-11-2006, 11:26pm
Jerseyville, Illinois

Greenmando
Dec-12-2006, 12:14am
Two different but well made mandolins. Best to play both and see what you enjoy.

Big Joe
Dec-12-2006, 12:18am
We have a good used F9 and two used F5G's in our Showcase at the moment. It is unusual for us to have that many at any time. The F9 can be bought for about 2200 and the F5G's for about 3K. They are all very nice mandolins. If interested you can call the store at 615-514-2200 x 3.

cooper4205
Dec-12-2006, 12:37am
i'll vouch for one those used F5-G's, the one with the back stained black; i was just there last weekend and that particular F-5G was the mandolin i played the most at the showcase (besides an A5-L and an F-5G that looked like it had a streak on the fretboard- it would rattle the walls with a chop).

every collings i played i really liked. nice fit and finish and great, even tone and really loud. if i could find one for less than an F5-G, i wouldn't think twice. if they were both really close to the same price, i'd make sure i played as many as i could. there is a sweet gloss-top in the classifieds for a good price, it seems.

good luck, i wish i had your dilemma

what's up with that all black back anyway, Big Joe?

Eric F.
Dec-12-2006, 11:56am
You could go to St. Louis and play a Collings at Music Folk. That's only an hour or so from you. Five hours to Nashville (Gibson OAI, Gruhn's, Cotten Music) or Louisville (FQMS). Might be worth it for the chance to play a bunch of instruments in that range.

sluggo
Dec-12-2006, 1:12pm
I appreciate the input. Music Folk does not have the Gibson. Do I buy the Collings without trying a Gibson? And get it local? Will I regret not trying a Gibson. The closest Gibson dealer is 2.5 hrs away. I guess it is best I wait and go to Nashville etc.
I was hoping there was big enough difference between the two for someone else to make my desison!
I am a fairly new player, I want number one, playability, two sound, three looks.
I not sure I could tell a good one from a bad one. I wish it were an easy answer!

Steve Perry
Dec-12-2006, 2:09pm
I not sure I could tell a good one from a bad one.

Believe me, Sluggo, you'll be able to tell. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I'd suggest you take the trip to First Quality in Louisville. #You'll be able to play the Gibson and Collings side by side there. #Great people to deal with too.

Steve Perry

Rick Schmidlin
Dec-12-2006, 2:13pm
Side by side is importent but if it can't be done there should be fear in getting a MF sight un seen. That offer from Big Joe also sounds inviting tempting and a good deal.

Frank Russell
Dec-12-2006, 3:55pm
I've seen F9's for less than 2200, but they didn't have Big Joe's backing, which means a lot. I've had good luck with mandos that he vouched for. Normally I would say Collings, because I really miss the MF I had, but for the money you'd save, give the F9 a shot. Frank

GBG
Dec-12-2006, 4:02pm
What does Fazio's Frets and Friends in Manchester have in stock? BTW, I make a visit to the Oasis (Carrollton) at least once a year. If you know Aaron Steckel in Jerseyville, he may be able to help you. He's a good mandolin player.