PDA

View Full Version : Inherited grandfather's gibson

molly
Dec-11-2006, 5:59pm
My husband's grandfather played in a country band in Upstate New York, and we have recently inherited his mandoline. #The instrument has not been well cared for over the years since his grandfather passed. #It has no case, a crack in the headstock and I suspect it was stored in an attic for some time. #At this time we are looking for any history we can find about the instrument, eventually we intend to have it repaired/restored so we can play it.
It is a Gibson A style. #The paper label is intact and in good condition. #The serial number is 9067.

Lee
Dec-11-2006, 6:14pm
Contact Gibson. They'd be glad to look into it's history and estimate a repair.

mandolooter
Dec-11-2006, 6:28pm
I checked the mandolin archive and it would appear to be a 1909/10 or there abouts.

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/list_mandolins.pl?all:4

At bottom of page.

atetone
Dec-11-2006, 10:23pm
Molly, Gail Hester lives just a hop, skip and a jump away from you in Poulsbo Wa.
She has done some nice restoration work on old Gibsons.
I am sure that Gail would just love to take a look at your mandolin and might even be talked into doing some work on it if you talk to her real nice.
And, she is a very nice person to talk to.

mrmando
Dec-12-2006, 1:49am
I didn't realize Gail lived in Poulsbo...

Molly, here are some more recommendations. Gary Wagner is an excellent repairman in Burien who has clients all across the country. 206.431.8772. Duane Lasley at Lasley & Russ Violins in Ballard also does fantastic work on vintage Gibsons. 206.378.0233. They are my go-to guys for repair and I don't hesitate to recommend either one.

DryBones
Dec-12-2006, 7:37am
wow, another lost and found Gibson...too cool. add it to the archive!

fatt-dad
Dec-12-2006, 8:20am
I second the vote for Gail Hester.

f-d