PDA

View Full Version : Rigel sound differences?

steve V. johnson
Dec-11-2006, 12:55pm
A friend of mine has the chance to choose between two Rigels A+ models.
An estate sale is offering one of the two, the winner's choice of either one of them, and my pal has the winning bid.

Neither he nor I have ever had the chance to compare the sound of an F-hole
with an Oval-hole Rigel A+, so I've come to appeal to the wonderful pool of
experience here on the Cafe for some descriptions.

What can y'all tell us about the differences?

Many thanks,

stv

Ted Eschliman
Dec-11-2006, 3:00pm
Warm air vs. Cold air (http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000141.shtml)...

otterly2k
Dec-11-2006, 3:53pm
excellent bit, Ted. thanks.

GBG
Dec-11-2006, 4:15pm
I believe in having both-I have 2 ovals and 1 F-hole (not Rigels), but if I had to have just one Rigel, it would be an F-hole.

mrmando
Dec-11-2006, 4:31pm
I'd go for the oval ... on the whole, I think Rigel's oval-hole A+ mandolins have a bit more character than the F-hole ones. Nothing wrong the F-hole ones, but the ovals usually grabbed me a little more.

steve V. johnson
Dec-12-2006, 12:10am
We were hoping to learn more specifics from Rigelistas about how -Rigels- are different with the different perforation configurations...

But thanks, Ted, and I've read before, and appreciated, your characterization of the differences.

stv

trevor
Dec-12-2006, 11:27am
I've had both in. As with any oval/f hole comparison, more bass and sustain from the oval hole, a clearer more cutting sound from the f hole.

twaaang
Dec-14-2006, 6:40pm
I love my f-hole CT110 purchased in 2004, but there was an oval-hole A-Plus I was playing in the Rigel shop a few months later that would have gone home with me instead if it had been there sooner. (If, if, if!) It had good projection and a very sweet "round" tone, quite different from my oval-holed L&H. I was playing it while Peter Mix was on the phone and confirmed that it was going out to Chris Garrett, a dealer down in Maryland (who I later met at Rigelfest). At the time I just couldn't pull the trigger for the financial folly it would have taken to buy that one. Always wondered who wound up with it. -- Paul

jefflester
Dec-14-2006, 8:08pm
Too bad Pedal Steel Mike isn't around anymore. He could compare head to head how blue A Rigels sound in F and oval hole flavors.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/uploads/post-12-27030-Rigelsiblings.jpg

bradeinhorn
Dec-14-2006, 10:30pm
get f

mythicfish
Dec-14-2006, 10:33pm
Unless I'm mistaken, there are fewer oval-hole models and that would be my reason for choosing it.
I have owned a Rigel f-hole and generally prefer f-hole models (tho' I don't play much BG).
The Rigels, with their unique bracing have a distinctive sound. It's a tough decision but an enviable opportunity.

Curt

steve V. johnson
Dec-16-2006, 10:35am
Well, my pal chose the f-hole and he says he can't really say why. Well done, anyway, and he's happy.

As a result of all this another friend told me that there was an oval-hole Rigel A+Deluxe at Elderly for the
pretty astounding price of $975! By the time I got there with my credit card number burning into my hand
it was gone...

Foo.

Many thanks to all for all the good advice and comments!!

stv