PDA

View Full Version : Blue christmas

mandolinrick
Dec-11-2006, 12:54am
Its going to be a blue Christmas for my boss and friend, Mike. I moved out here to Jacksonville, Florida 3 years ago to work for him and he has helped me out in so many ways. One of things that I accomplished (and couldn't have done it without his providing me with employment) was to start building mandolins. So last year, I started building him a mandolin - and its finally done. He wanted a blue mandolin, which worked out well since I built a IV Kit that was blue for my girlfriend's son. This is my second F5 from scratch.

Engelmann spruce top, one piece quilted maple back (bought on E-bay for $25.00), and quilted maple neck. Oil varnish finish, Grover tuners, radiused fretboard and a standard Gibson style tailpiece (engraved with his company's name). Pearl inlay (Om sign from luthiersupply.com) and lotus flower and leaves designed by a graphic artist, handcut by me.

Came out very nice, but I still have a lot to learn, especially binding and finishing techniques. Of the 3 mandolins I've built, it is the loudest and has a really nice tone to it - its going to be tough parting with it! But Mike is excited about learning to play the mandolin.

So, here is T2, under the tree:

mandolinrick
Dec-11-2006, 12:56am
Top View

mandolinrick
Dec-11-2006, 12:59am
Back:

Strange1
Dec-11-2006, 1:00am
That is one beautiful mando, Rick. If only it was LH.

Jack

mandolinrick
Dec-11-2006, 1:01am
Closer view of back:

mandolinrick
Dec-11-2006, 1:05am
Peghead

mandolinrick
Dec-11-2006, 1:06am
And here are the Torzyn brothers together...

jasona
Dec-11-2006, 1:07am
Very nice! What does the headstock inlay mean?

mandolinrick
Dec-11-2006, 1:08am
The F5 is the youngest one....

Here's their backsides...

billkilpatrick
Dec-11-2006, 3:48am
Very nice! What does the headstock inlay mean?
"om" ... as in "om mani padme hum" - "jewel in the heart of the lotus."

... beautiful looking instruments, mandolinrick - complimenti! - bill

Mark Walker
Dec-11-2006, 11:23am
Wow - VERY 'BLUE!' I like it though - does a great job of showing the beautiful quilted grain on the back. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dale Ludewig
Dec-11-2006, 1:58pm
Very nice. I like. But then that should be no surprise. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

good_ol_al_61
Dec-11-2006, 5:18pm
Look Out! Mandolinrick is being too modest. Rick is the one that introduced me to the bluegrass scene in Jacksonville, Florida (go Jags) when my lovely wife and I moved here almost two years ago. Thanks Rick!

Not only is he just a nice guy, but he has a knack for mandolin building. Slow, methodical and he cares. The blue A style in the pictures was played by the ultra fast professional Earnie Evans this past spring. I was present for that "tasting" and Earnie went lights-out on that mandolin. As the consummate professional that he is, his very high praise of the workmanship, tone, sound and setup was like winning a Builder's Grammy to Rick.

Rick also polished out a fiasco that I had with some bug spray on my Eastman. What a friend first, which will make him a top builder in the near future.

Amandalyn
Dec-11-2006, 5:32pm
Hi Rick- Nice job- love the back of the F model.
Teri

Mandoborg
Dec-12-2006, 3:37pm
Yeah, that's what i'm talking about !!!
Those be lookin mighty fine !!!
That color is GREAT !!

Jim Combra

mandolinrick
Dec-13-2006, 4:10am
Thank you all for your kind words, especially my good ol' mando friend Al. Dale, I was expecting a post from you knowing your affinity for blue mandolins... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I really appreciate all of your comments - mandolin cafe is a great community of builders and pickers, which I am proud to be a part of.

I'm about half-way through T3 and then will put together an A-Style IV Kit (greatly modified, though - bone nut, grover tuners, ebony bridge, maple binding...). And then I have a couple of instruments to repair - enough to keep me busy. But it still doesn't stop me from planning my next project after those! And I'll be going out to Loar Fest West in February as well...my mom lives in Tehachapi, about an hour away from Bakersfield.

Thanks again,

Rick Torzynski

Skip Kelley
Dec-13-2006, 7:26am
I love the blue stain! I have always wanted to do a mandolin in blue but never had the nerve! Nice job!

Dale Ludewig
Dec-13-2006, 2:11pm
C'mon Skip. Live it up. Life's too short!

Big Joe
Dec-13-2006, 4:01pm
I love the blue. Someday I'm going to build me on in red, green, and blue. Not that I have any need for any of them, but I like them http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

Dale Ludewig
Dec-13-2006, 7:46pm
Joe, when has "need" had anything to do with mandolins? Whatever color or anything else?

Mandoborg
Dec-14-2006, 1:13am
DO IT SKIP !!!
And make sure you build it Grand Artist style !

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jim

thrax0831
Dec-14-2006, 1:06pm
beautiful

ndy9691
Dec-18-2006, 12:56pm
Mandolinrick, you would make a killing here in Kentucky with Blue and white mandolins. They look great!!!!

Dale

mandolinrick
Dec-18-2006, 4:40pm
Dale,

Would that be a Wildcat Mandolin? Actually, that's a pretty good name....

Rick

T W Perez
Dec-21-2006, 6:19pm
rick,love the back,I played Ricks first effort and was knocked out by the volume and tone.Let me know what the plans are for #3 think you have my Email

Merry Christmas all
Tracy

mandolinrick
Dec-28-2006, 12:42am
Well, the Blue Christmas mandolin has been given to my friend Mike - he said I made it just like he wanted and was very happy with it. I still think its a pretty special sounding mandolin - loud and good tone and its only been strung up a few weeks. Will be interested in how it sounds 6 months from now. Hard to let it go - my workshop seems a little emptier without it!

Before I gave it to him, I used my webcam to record it a bit so I could have some comparison for the future. Hopefully I'm a better builder than player. I put it up on Youtube, so if anyone is interested in how it sounds, you can check it out. The video gets a little out of sync because of editing, but its not too bad.

Here's the link:
Blue Christmas Mandolin Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-hKX1aUcps)

And Tracy, I'm about halfway done with #3 - red spruce top, flame maple back and neck, radiused fretboard, allen tailpiece, but will not have binding and internal pickup. And I'm supposed to distress it a bit to make it look older - I'm making it for a local musician. Should be done in the next month or so.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Rick