PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky brand

Sweetpea44
Dec-08-2006, 5:13pm
I was looking at the Kentucky 350S for a beginner mandolin. What do you all think of this mandolin or brand? I spoke to some guys at a local music store and they played several. This one sounded pretty good for the price. I'm just starting out, so I want something nice, but not overly expensive. Thanks!

~Sweetpea

Lane Pryce
Dec-08-2006, 5:19pm
If you are set on a Kentucky go for the 380s and then spring for a top notch setup which includes a new nut and bridge. If you are open to alternatives keep an eye on the classifieds and watch for a used Eastman A. Much better mandolin. Good luck in your search and welcome to the cafe. Lp

cooper4205
Dec-08-2006, 5:26pm
look at this new model the km-505, it's got a radiused ebony board, it's solid spruce top, solid maple back, bone nut, dove-tail joint, and a cool brown color. it lists $50 dollars higher than the 380, but looks a little better made

Kentucky KM-505 (http://sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=KM-505)

it's says it is hand carved, i wonder if it is still made like the 380s or if it is made like the eastmans- you know, more hands on?

Richard Russell
Dec-08-2006, 6:06pm
I was extremely impressed by the KM-250 that I played a few days ago. Very punchy, great bluegrass sound with all the chop and projection you would typically want. It's sound was not complex, but, all in all it was an excellent mandolin. The asking price was $295, which after checking around seems high. I see them advertised new for $229-250.

Cooper4205, thanks for the Kentucky link. I'd love to see one of the KM-505 models. Looks like they're looking to claim some of the "upgrade" market, or 2nd mandolin buyers. If they're quality mandolins, they may offer an alternative to the 500 series Eastmans. Who knows?

Caleb
Dec-08-2006, 6:34pm
Can someone chime in and tell what a "radiused fretboard" is and what difference this feature makes?

thanks....

Yuletide
Dec-08-2006, 6:59pm
If you are open to alternatives keep an eye on the classifieds and watch for a used Eastman A. Much better mandolin. Good luck in your search and welcome to the cafe. Lp
If you're going to keep an eye on the classifieds, you might also watch for used Japanese-made Kentuckys or even for Mid-Missouris. Either one would be a bit more expensive, but would be an instrument that would keep you going for quite a while. I have a Japanese-made KM250SC that's way better than the KM250S they make in China today.

Caleb
Dec-08-2006, 7:55pm
If you are open to alternatives keep an eye on the classifieds and watch for a used Eastman A. Much better mandolin. Good luck in your search and welcome to the cafe. Lp
If you're going to keep an eye on the classifieds, you might also watch for used Japanese-made Kentuckys or even for Mid-Missouris. Either one would be a bit more expensive, but would be an instrument that would keep you going for quite a while. #I have a Japanese-made KM250SC that's way better than the KM250S they make in China today.
what exactly is the difference between yours and the ones made in China today? Is it just a matter of them being more mass-produced, or has Kentucky cut back on quality parts being used, etc.?

Antlurz
Dec-08-2006, 8:39pm
A radiused board simply means it is a little higher down through the middle rather than being flat from side to side. Some folks like em, some don't. I'm a big fan, myself, and seldom even pick up my flat board instruments anymore. About the only way to know is to pick one of each up and play it. It's mainly just personal preference.

Kinda like the difference between a yardstick and a toilet paper tube, but not as radical.

Ron

Caleb
Dec-08-2006, 8:55pm
very helpful....thanks.

Yuletide
Dec-09-2006, 9:00am
what exactly is the difference between yours and the ones made in China today? Is it just a matter of them being more mass-produced, or has Kentucky cut back on quality parts being used, etc.?
Well, I'm hardly an expert on the current generation of Kentucky mandolins, having played one for all of about 2 minutes. And mine isn't exactly comparable to the current 250 because mine is a center hole model, whereas the current generation is only available, so far as I know, with F holes. That being said, my observation is that the current generation has a thinner, tinnier sound. It was also much harder to play, but that probably could be fixed with a little setup.
From what I've heard, just about everything is different: the wood, the finish, the construction. Even the body shape is different, if I remember correctly.
Of course, it's also worth remembering that the PRICE is different, too. I paid $500 for my KM250SC in 1991.

trevor
Dec-09-2006, 9:51am
Bob,
Oval sound hole is available again, KM170/1/2/4 different colours. I am awaiting my first delivery, a couple of months away, so can't comment on how good they are yet. Regarding the rest of the range I think they are as good as it gets in the price range, just put another large order in..

Eric F.
Dec-09-2006, 11:04am
Some of the Japanese Kentuckys were great, some were so-so. I had an '87 KM1000 that I suspect was one of the few KM-1000's that Sumi had a hand in making. It was a great mandolin. I also had an A style oval from Japan that was pretty but muted sounding.

Many people felt that quality slipped a bit when production moved to Korea, then dropped precipitously when it moved again to China. The first shipments of Kentuckys from China seemed to have multiple problems.

That's changed however. I think they've increased quality control considerably. This new line of mandolins, which includes the return of the KM-1000, makes me think they're pretty sure they've got it under control. That's not to say they will necessarily be comparable to some of the great stuff that came out of Japan, but who knows. Maybe they have a Chinese equivalent of Sumi. FWIW, I played a new Sumi a couple of weeks ago - wow.

Anyhow, the Chinese Kentuckys seem to be hit and miss, like any mass-produced instrument. Like Niles said on another thread, sometimes the factories turn out the equivalent of the village genius, though they're a lot better at turning out village idiots.

I've said it a lot, but what the heck. My $250 Kentucky KM250 is a very decent mandolin. It's better than the Japanese A I had but not nearly as good as the Japanese F. I think of the guy at Elderly who said he'd pick me the best of the bunch every time I play it!

Yuletide
Dec-09-2006, 4:20pm
Like Niles said on another thread, sometimes the factories turn out the equivalent of the village genius, though they're a lot better at turning out village idiots.
That's a really good point. There are probably some great bargains to be had in factory produced instruments if you take the time to shop around and compare them in-person until you find that village genius.

As for your oval A being muted, my made-in-Japan center-hole Kentucky A is also quieter than most F holers I've played. But then, so are my other center-hole mandos. However, I wouldn't go so far as to call it "muted". Actually, I'm not sure they're really quieter, but rather less penetrating. Not sure I really know how to describe it. Not so "twangy" maybe?

TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC COMMENT ABOUT "MADE IN JAPAN": I was talking to a coworker yesterday about "generational differences". I was reading something that said folks under 30 typically know the historical significance of December 8th (John Lennon's death) but not of December 7th (the day that will live in infamy ...). I found this amazing. Until I thought about the fact that "made in Japan" on an item still makes me uneasy with buying it because when I was growing up, that meant it was cheap junk that would fall apart within a week or two of purchase. For young folk, "made in Japan" is a mark of quality. Times change, I guess.

mythicfish
Dec-09-2006, 7:04pm
"Until I thought about the fact that "made in Japan" on an item still makes me uneasy with buying it because when I was growing up, that meant it was cheap junk that would fall apart within a week or two of purchase. For young folk, "made in Japan" is a mark of quality. Times change, I guess"

Bob
Many of us were brainwashed to think that way. Truth be told, the Japanese goods produced before WWII were second to none.
It was the occupying forces who were responsible for "getting Japan back on it's feet" who prompted the japanese to produce
shoddy export items. The japanese deeply resented this as it was tantamount to "loss of face". The best that they could do
was to label these items: "Made in Occupied Japan".
Ironically, these second rate goods are now highly collectable. Who knew?

Curt

Yuletide
Dec-09-2006, 7:37pm
Many of us were brainwashed to think that way.
Well, I don't think it was a matter of being brainwashed. The stuff really DID fall apart in no time, I remember quite well. But that's NOT to say you're wrong about the REASON the stuff was poorly made.

mythicfish
Dec-09-2006, 8:03pm
I can't remember if my Toyota was made in Kentucky or if my Kentucky was made by Toyota!
Well, that's life in the Global Village.

Curt (Deck us all with Boston Charley) Roseman

8STRINGR
Dec-10-2006, 8:29pm
If you'd like, go to www.musiciansfriend.com ,type in the "search" Kentucky KM250S and read the details and reviews as well on this mandolin (further down the page). This is the "Artist" model. I had purchased one for my Son as a Christmas gift three years ago and the sound is getting better and better.

I had actually started out on a Kentucky A100 (A model) several years ago and enjoyed even playing that model. I was really into the "Hot Rize" sound at the time. Of coarse, it wasn't a "Nugget" A model like Tim O'Brien plays but it still had that cutting, high end that I was after.

When I had recieved the 250S for my son, the bridge was packed separately in the box. I had no problem setting it up myself but I did however changed the factory strings with GHS A270's (Phosphor Bronze) prior to tuning it up and it's got a nice bite to it as well as a mellow sounding when it needs to be.

This is the only mandolin that I've played (when my son lets me) that has the radius fretboard that I like. My other mandolins don't have that. For the price you can't go wrong.

I had a coworker borrow this Friday to take to a jam session with friends who play classic Rock (that include songs with mandolin) and he came back Saturday saying the guys were very impressed with the sound, vintage style and color (chocolate) and now he's asking his wife to get him one for Christmas! #It's a good model for the price. The other A model Kentucky's didn't get that much of a good review and they were priced a little higher. I'd go for it... in fact, I did! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Mattg
Dec-10-2006, 10:16pm
This comes up once every two months. My response is the same. I love my 380s. Totally worth the money and even better when I took the time to set it up correctly.

Deaf David
Dec-12-2006, 11:36am
If you are looking for an affordable beginner's instrument try to find an Old Hickory. The company is in Nashville, but I don't know where they are actually made. They have solid spruce tops and for the price are competitive with instruments costing more.

They don't get good press, but they are very playable. A very few set up mods and you will be ready to go. (They also come with about the best mandolin case going!)

Caleb
Dec-12-2006, 12:23pm
If you are looking for an affordable beginner's instrument try to find an Old Hickory. #The company is in Nashville, but I don't know where they are actually made. #They have solid spruce tops and for the price are competitive with instruments costing more.

They don't get good press, but they are very playable. #A very few set up mods and you will be ready to go. #(They also come with about the best mandolin case going!)
Why don't they get good press? There's not much about them on the net, but I did see one on Ebay that looks pretty good.

Jim Broyles
Dec-12-2006, 12:43pm
If you are looking for an affordable beginner's instrument try to find an Old Hickory. The company is in Nashville, but I don't know where they are actually made. They have solid spruce tops and for the price are competitive with instruments costing more.

They don't get good press, but they are very playable. A very few set up mods and you will be ready to go. (They also come with about the best mandolin case going!)
Why don't they get good press? There's not much about them on the net, but I did see one on Ebay that looks pretty good.
Because they're pretty bad. Terrible fit and finish, back seams are off center, tone is very thin and weak and the case, which is pretty decent but hardly the best case going, is worth as much as the mandolin. If you can pick an OH up for a hundred bucks, you'll spend at least that much again to get it reasonably acceptable, so it might not be too bad, but I would go with a Kentucky 250S or better if I were you.

Eric F.
Dec-12-2006, 1:03pm
I did see one on Ebay that looks pretty good.

Now there's a recipe for trouble.