PDA

View Full Version : Mid mo string gauges

mandocrucian
Dec-08-2006, 9:44am
Time for me to order strings for some my various instruments. Does anyone know what gauges Mid Mo put on their mandos (I have an M1)? Cant find my micrometer, but the ones on the M1 are lighter than the D'Addario J67 sets I use on my Gibsons.

Thanks

Niles H

Cooter
Dec-08-2006, 9:58am
From the Mid-Mo website:

"We have selected GHS medium light strings. The PF 250 is the name of the set. The guages are.011-.016-.024-.038.

Any brand of string will do and guages can be adjusted up or down to your own playing style and feel.

We do not get any discount for using and advertising GHS strings. We just really like the people that make the strings. They are just a good company to work with."

GBG
Dec-08-2006, 10:51am
I recently replaced the strings on my new M-3 with D'Addario 11-15-24-38 phosphor bronze instead of bright bronze (GHS). BTW, I can't believe how much I like this mandolin. I previously had an M-2 that I traded off. I can't see getting rid of this M-3.

glauber
Dec-08-2006, 2:30pm
Another string set that works tres well on Mid-Mo, IMHO, is "Darco Lights". It's a pretty inexpensive set, and it just sings, on those mandolins.

8ch(pl)
Dec-09-2006, 7:39am
I concur, I used Darco lights for about 5 years on mine. They are probably the most reasonably priced string out there so it is only a few dollars to try them.

I am now using the LaBella flatwound from Jazzmando.com, they cost 3 or 4 times what the Darcos do , but they olay well, sound great and last better.

Darco light guages are .010, .014, .024, and .034, a bit lighter than the stock GHS set. The LaBellas are .011, .015, .024 and .033.

I played in a Church Worship Band with piano and an elctric guitar with both of these strings, unplugged and had no trouble being heard.

DryBones
Dec-09-2006, 8:22am
I absolutely love the JazzMando JM-11's on my M1. Try them if you dare! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

alespa
Dec-09-2006, 3:15pm
I have a new pack of JM11 Flatwounds I don't need anymore. PM me if you're interested.