PDA

View Full Version : Pavlu f4

pettyman
Dec-07-2006, 7:54pm
Hey again

I asked about the Eastman F4 style mandolins the other day but have been perusing the TAMCO website (really doens't help MAS!) and came across the Pavlu mandolins. Now I was there in August and fell in love with Capek mandos - how do the Pavlus compare.

Ooh, just spent more time on the site and finally got round to checking out the Furch models - any comments on them would be appreciated to!

Remembering I have scroll envy!!

Matt

August Watters
Dec-07-2006, 9:25pm
Like builders in the US or Canada, the Czech builders are divided between veterans who have been building for many years, and relative newcomers trying to make a name for themselves. When you buy the work of one of the veterans, you're getting the benefit of greater experience and name recognition (and therefore probably better resale value) -- but you're probably also paying more for it. Newer builders tend to have less name recognition and lower prices, as well as less consistent results -- although you might find a gem. My favorite guitar is still the archtop John Zeidler made for me in 1986, before he was well-known.

If we're talking about the 20+ year full-time veterans of the Czech building scene, the list is short:

Capek
Lebeda
Janish
Kristufek (Krishot)
Prucha

I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm forgetting anyone. . .
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sleepy.gif

trevor
Dec-09-2006, 10:01am
As August says, there are reasons why Pavlu is cheaper, less name recognition and less experience. They are not as good tonally as Capek or Lebeda but are great value, considerably cheaper. Cheapest Pavlu F style is £1095, cheapest Lebeda £1750.