PDA

View Full Version : Apple aperture

Philip Halcomb
Dec-05-2006, 4:24pm
Anyone else using Apple's photography program Aperture? I always like to share when I find a program that enhances the quality of life or makes things easier. It's pretty sweet what you can do in digital photography when something's not quite right. Check out these photos of the Dawg we took a couple of weeks ago in New Jersey. The first photo is the original and the second one is after I ran it through Aperture. Enjoy...

Philip Halcomb
Dec-05-2006, 4:24pm
Polished photo...

holdenzdad
Dec-05-2006, 4:38pm
That's pretty cool!

Antlurz
Dec-05-2006, 5:01pm
flip...

I usually use an old Paintshop Pro ver. 3.1.

Just clicking the "sharpen" button.. (in this case twice) gives the same results.

For anyone who has that program.

Ron

bradeinhorn
Dec-05-2006, 5:15pm
cool. just got mac yesterday. will go play with that.

Philip Halcomb
Dec-05-2006, 6:59pm
flip...

I usually use an old Paintshop Pro ver. 3.1.

Just clicking the "sharpen" button.. (in this case twice) gives the same results.

For anyone who has that program.

Ron
I know there are tons of programs that do similiar things. My examples and uses of the application are 1/1000th of it's capabilities. There's a lot more in those two pictures then sharpening. Color is one thing. The color in the bottom photo is about as true as it gets for that situation. That's close to exactly how I remembered it. The color in the bottom photo captures the magic of the event whereas the top photo's color is very dull. For instance in the top photo the color of the mandolin is kind of cream. I actually played that ax that night and the color is in between the two photo in regular light. But on the stage the color was yellow like it shows in the bottom. So there's a lot of difference in the two photos, but it also depends on the calibration and quality of the display it's being displayed on.

JEStanek
Dec-05-2006, 8:57pm
I'm a fan of Adobe Photoshop Elements on my PC. I've used Photoshop 5.0 but feel Elements is easier to use and I still get good results without having to invest tons of energy learning the software.

I keep thinking my next computer may be a Mac. I would like to o more with photos and home movies.

Jamie

alespa
Dec-08-2006, 1:35am
get it, you won't regret it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

PaulO
Dec-08-2006, 7:37am
I am testing Adobe's beta of Lightroom. It's an awsome program, but if you have trouble finding the sharpening in Photoshop Elements you may want to take it slow. It is available as a free trial from the Adobe website.

I am a professional photographer, so this stuff doesn't scare me. It is a welcomed upgrade for my work. I hear that it will hit the street some time after the new year.

Apeture is the Apple version of this and it has gotten very favorable comments. Lucky us, it can be apples and oranges.

Best,

Paul O'Mara

Steven Stone
Dec-08-2006, 10:31am
I'm with Paul on Lightroom.

I love the wrokflow from Lightroom to Phtotoshop. Shooting RAW DNG files with my Pentax K-10 I can make minute color temp adjustments in Lightroom.

Since we have to show mando players, let me say that Darol Anger was playing his BRW half the night.

markishandsome
Dec-09-2006, 12:58pm
Did anyone else think this was a thread about apple-shaped soundholes when they clicked on it?

JEStanek
Dec-10-2006, 2:55pm
Steven Stone, Who is the woman seated next to Darol? Is it KC Groves of Uncle Earl... Last time I saw her she was playing a Collings. Maybe my eyes need an enhance featuer?

Jamie

Philip Halcomb
Dec-11-2006, 8:59am
Did anyone else think this was a thread about apple-shaped soundholes when they clicked on it?
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Philip Halcomb
Dec-11-2006, 9:03am
I'm with Paul on Lightroom.

I love the wrokflow from Lightroom to Phtotoshop. Shooting RAW DNG files with my Pentax K-10 I can make minute color temp adjustments in Lightroom.

Since we have to show mando players, let me say that Darol Anger was playing his BRW half the night.
First off, great photo Steve. Yes, I like the fact in Lightroom as well as Aperture you can make those color temp adjustments. It really does a world of good. I recently had to touch up some photos for work that were taken in a very yellowish lightly situation. In Aperture I was able to set the white point and get closer to the true color. Both programs are pretty awesome...