PDA

View Full Version : Eastman 514 or 614?

pettyman
Dec-05-2006, 2:16pm
Hey guys.

Well the savings account is opened and MAS is kicking in hard - I just need one of those darn scrolls!

I'm currently playing a Kentucky KM380s - and I love it, not planning on getting rid of it! But I'm seriously contemplating adding a Eastman F4 style to my "collection"!!

What is the difference between the 514 and the 614? Is the 614 worth the extra £90? I really want a scroll and the oval hole.

Cheers
Matt

Greenmando
Dec-05-2006, 2:21pm
The difference is in the binding. The 514 does not have binding on the back.

pettyman
Dec-05-2006, 2:24pm
Yeah to be honest that kinda attracts me - I really like the photos i've seen of the 514, haven't had a chance to play either yet!

Does it effect the sound at all?

Greenmando
Dec-05-2006, 2:34pm
No difference in tone, I believe they might use more figured wood in the 614. Steve Perry is a great guy to deal with. I bought my 804 from him.

pettyman
Dec-05-2006, 2:37pm
Hmm well I think it makes sense to go for the 514 then. Gonna wait a couple of months till I can afford it properly! Need to do a few shifts more than I planned!

When I get round to it I think I'll be buying from Trevor at TAMCO, very impressed with previous service and got no reason to go elsewhere!

Cheers
Matt

JEStanek
Dec-05-2006, 3:00pm
The differences are cosmetic and in the tuners supplied on the models (Schaler or Gotoh). I would suggest you work with Trevor (or whomever) and play both models (or even several of each if he can get them in) and get the one that sounds /feels / plays better to y o u !

Jamie

mythicfish
Dec-05-2006, 3:03pm
Before you buy either make sure it sounds better than the 380s.

Curt

pettyman
Dec-05-2006, 3:08pm
aye that sounds the best idea - take enough with me to pick up either and try em out!

Cheers guys.

Reckon it'll be February payday - 25th! Quite exciting!

Matt

tin ben dur
Dec-05-2006, 3:26pm
I have been wanting one of those also and have Steve put a pick guard on it for me. That would be sweet.

JEStanek
Dec-05-2006, 9:28pm
My wife said I could get a new one on February 30th. She's very funny. Good luck and let us know how they appeal to you.

Jamie

cbarry
Dec-07-2006, 6:49pm
Another binding issue is that 600 series has binding on the headstock. I actually prefer the look of the 500, which has no binding there.
Chuck

steelarts
Dec-09-2006, 7:39am
Just thought I'd chuck in my 2 penny worth. #I just bought a blonde Eastman 615 that was second-hand and only a few months old. #Whilst in the shop I tried the whole range that were there. #I have to say that apart from an 815 mine sounded best to my ears (the 15's had a much tighter more focused sound than the 14's). Now whether or not it was because it'd been played in already, who knows? #Now I must admit the 815 did sound better but my budget wouldn't extend that far. #

I went into the shop thinking that with Eastman's you just pay more for the cosmetics as you go up the line but came away convinced that it's more than that. #I think better tone woods are used too and this also reflects in the price. I love my mando to pieces but being blonde there's nothing to hide any flaws and the grain on the top is much more open than on my guitar. #Still sounds good but aesthetically its not as pleasing it tighter grained spruce.

cheers,
Marcus

pettyman
Dec-09-2006, 8:16am
Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to head over to TAMCO after Christmas and have a play of a few mandolins. My focus has gone ove to the Furch MF21 (F4 style) which suggests pretty good value at £499. But I'll try it and see what comes of trying out a few different mandos