PDA

View Full Version : Scaggs distressed master model

jefflester
Dec-04-2006, 10:48pm
Interesting....
and the instrument comes with a Tone-Gard back isolator

fatt-dad
Dec-04-2006, 11:00pm
Yeah, I went to the web page to see about retail pricing (not that it's in my budget - just idle curiosity). For roll-out day I was suprised there was not reference to it. Any ideas on the full-retail (i.e., is this an upcharge from the DMM already in production)?

f-d

45ACP-GDLF5
Dec-04-2006, 11:25pm
First Quality Music has it posted on their website. They state which model numbers that they are getting. Their price is the same as the DMM.

Mark Walker
Dec-05-2006, 7:44am
Nice of Gibson to throw in a complimentary CD of Skaggs' "Instrumentals" with the purchase of that sweet mandolin! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

(That's not meant as a slam as much as an observation, so don't anyone get your knickers in a twist!)

Does that mean it comes WITH a tone guard? #Must be 'tone guard back isolator' is simply a fancy way of saying 'tone guard...?'

Jonathan James
Dec-05-2006, 7:58am
as a marketing guy, I always find it amusing that Gibson makes these announcements publicly that are not reflected on their website at the same time. Basic protocol.

Mark Walker
Dec-05-2006, 8:21am
Would it be safe to assume - given the prices at Janet Davis Music for other 'non-distressed' signature models (Sam Bush, Doyle Lawson) of about $10K and the price for an F5 Distressed Master Model (non-signature model) of $25K - that the Skaggs' version would be at least $20K?
Especially with only 30 being made?? # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

JEStanek
Dec-05-2006, 8:37am
The discussion this year had the price at $200 (or so) more than a DMM, IIRC.

Above my budget and talent level.
If you get one, I hope its the mando of your dreams!

Jamie

fredfrank
Dec-05-2006, 8:37am
I already have Ricky's Instrumentals album. I wonder if I could get a discount if I didn't get the CD with it.

Jerry Byers
Dec-05-2006, 9:02am
During an interview with Ricky, he mentioned something about the neck profile being different.

tin ben dur
Dec-05-2006, 9:31am
I am thinking of buying two so I can put one up. And the one I am going to play I will whomp and whomp. Yea Right. Awesome mandolin though. If I did have the money I would definitely buy one.

JEStanek
Dec-05-2006, 11:54am
I think this hash on specs is re-warmed from here? (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=31691;hl=skaggs+distre ssed)

MMMmmmm, rewarmed hash... drool.

Jamie

Ted Eschliman
Dec-05-2006, 12:02pm
Scott and I have been quietly musing--a thread on the subject of Gibson marketing AND Ricky Skaggs all at the same time. It's kind of like a party with plentiful alcohol and lots of illegal fireworks.

I trust everyone will struggle to behave, but it only takes one or two to spoil it for the bunch.

Fred G
Dec-05-2006, 12:26pm
LOL http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
good one Ted

danb
Dec-05-2006, 12:32pm
Sounds like Ted has his knuckle-smacking ruler out.

Were you a nun at a parochial school in a former life Ted ? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

sgarrity
Dec-05-2006, 12:56pm
I was just thinking the same thing Ted. Like my momma likes to say, "If you can't say anything nice, come sit next to me!" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

I think I'll just grab a beer and some popcorn instead.

Shaun

ronlane3
Dec-05-2006, 4:22pm
I agree this is a combination of two dangerous topics, but I will say this. #Good for Gibson. #There is obviously a market out there for Mandolins in the $20,000+ range, so why not get in on the action. #Even if they have to "distress" their top of the line and now distress it and have Ricky sign it. #I have not played a DMM, but from talking to people and reading about it, I would dare say that the DMM is in the same league as the other builders whose mandolins are selling in this range.

Now the question is, did Ricky get his Gibson Signature Mandolin in less years than it too Mr. Monroe?? (if so, atleast he beat Bill as something http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif )

Mikey G
Dec-05-2006, 4:41pm
As Ricky Skaggs once said, "We're hanging on like a hair in a biscuit."

MikeVB
Dec-05-2006, 6:08pm
I thought I was fortunate enough to have been standing about 15 ft away from Ricky when Gibson did the big announcement, presentation, and photo-op at the IBMA trade/dealer conference showroom a couple months ago.

I got there a few minutes early thinking he might play it a little.

I couldn't really hear a word they were saying from the background noise in that convention hall. It was like trying to listen for bird calls in the middle of Pickett's charge!

I left pretty quick cause I figured even if he did play I wouldn't really hear it.

Big Joe did insist that I try a DMM that was there at the booth while I stood ogling at it. I said nah I can't ever buy one like that and he made me play it anyway. He didn't know me from Adam's housecat, but he is a super nice dude. And named appropriately - He's a BIG dude.

Eric F.
Dec-05-2006, 6:20pm
I doubt I'd ever be in a position to buy a DMM or a regular Master Model for that matter, and with my skill set I'd feel silly pulling one out of the case, but I played Big Joe's DMM and you can argue about price and distressing all you want, that is one great mandolin.

The Mandolin Store
Dec-05-2006, 7:23pm
My first reaction was man...........that's expensive but cool. My second was...........wonder if Kathy would let me keep it if I ordered one for the store...........My third was remembering that I was supposed to be in business selling mandolins and that a divorce would cost me more in the long run! By the time this was all done, my order was number 10 of 30.
Dennis
www.themandolinstore.com

Mark Walker
Dec-06-2006, 11:38am
My first reaction was man...........that's expensive but cool. #My second was...........wonder if Kathy would let me keep it if I ordered one for the store...........My third was remembering that I was supposed to be in business selling mandolins and that a divorce would cost me more in the long run! #By the time this was all done, my order was number 10 of 30. #
Dennis
www.themandolinstore.com
So you DID order one? Must be an understanding spousal unit you have there! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jerry Byers
Dec-06-2006, 11:50am
Sounds like it's time to take a road trip to Dennis's store and try that bad boy out.

cooper4205
Dec-06-2006, 12:23pm
i played two of the DMM's at the gibson showcase (don't guess they were skaggs models), there really wasn't any comparing what was them to what's hanging on the back wall. great playing, fast neck and really good, balanced sound. it was the best gibson i played there, no doubt. an F5-G with an all black back and another F5-G with a faded spot on the fretboard were the others i really liked there.

would i spend $25k on it? no, i'd go get that blonde collings at gruhns and a Hutto!

Stephanie Reiser
Dec-07-2006, 5:41am
The Gibson promotional article states that Ricky recorded Instrumentals with his RS DMM. I have that album, and had read the jacket cover previously. I didnt recall seeing anything mentioned about using the RS DMM. So last night I re-read that material and it mentions Steve Gilcrist and a european mandolin builder, Dana Boergios (sp?) guitars, Cooper violins, various brands of banjos, a string brand, a brand of picks, but no mention of the Gibson mandolin. I dont know what my point is here, except I would think his new mandolin, that he recorded that album with, would have been mentioned.

carleshicks
Dec-07-2006, 8:53am
I saw on GAC last night the Gibson Jingle Bells video and Ricky was Playing a DMM with the new style Flowerpot, that is the most destressed Master Model I have ever seen.

Fretbear
Dec-07-2006, 9:48am
Dana Bourgeois builds guitars in the States. Skaggs' old Loar is cherry, and his new one is distressed... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

testore
Dec-07-2006, 11:11am
I saw Ricky 6 weeks ago. He was telling someone that he had been playing his DMM for about a year.It was really knackered, but it was not factory worn. Most of what I saw was newly done whacking. It looked pretty strange because the wood underneeth was white and the layering of factory aging and authentic aging makes for a not too convincing looking job. Gibsons distressing is very sufacey and to my eye they spend about an hour doing it. The last one I saw two weeks ago had acrylic "dirt" still gooped all over the binding.If they were making violins with that sort of ageing they would be bottom rung.Chinese factories are doing better aging on their violins. $25,000 seems like a lot of money to pay for a poorly done cosmetic detail.