PDA

View Full Version : Gruhn guitar visit

gschmidt
Dec-04-2006, 9:53am
Just wanted to pass along a positive word about my visit to Gruhn Guitars since I've read a few so-so reviews.

I spent about an hour at Gruhn this past Friday morning and had a wonderful time playing almost every mandolin on the wall. There were a handful of people in the store and I was warmly received and after a couple "hey, I'd like to play this mandolin", they just let me grab anything I wanted and even started handing my mandos to try.

I had a blast. Played a 1920's F4 Gibson, which was fun. I played a Collings A with f-holes that had a KILLER chop. But, I was most impressed with a honey colored, 2-point Weber Bighorn. This thing was FANTASTIC. Amazing one-piece quilt back, a great chop and tone. Sigh... I'm in love.

I had a great time and was glad I made the effort to go.

gschmidt
Dec-04-2006, 9:55am
Here's a quick pic I took...

gnelson651
Dec-04-2006, 10:37am
And you were able to walk out of there without buying something?

Man you must be STRONG>>>> #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bob Simmers
Dec-04-2006, 1:00pm
I've never been to Gruhn's. I'll have to plan a visit. Do you have to go through security to actually meet George?
This reminds me of my first visit to Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD in the early '80's. The guys who took me down had to have me paged to find me. I was in the basement playing Gibson F5's and Martins. At that time they had them stacked about 8 feet high, still in the shipping box. I had no money, but I had a great time playing some fantastic instruments.

Bob Denton
Dec-04-2006, 1:40pm
I was on Broadway last Tuesday and Wednesday night. Couldn't get there in time, but did stick my nose on the window. Had a great meal across the street!

Cya

Bob

f5loar
Dec-04-2006, 2:07pm
Sounds like you missed the Loars on 2nd floor!

gschmidt
Dec-04-2006, 3:02pm
Lord. I must have.

We've already made plans to go back and spend some more time. I was on borrowed time as it was.

C. Carr
Dec-04-2006, 4:26pm
In September 2005 we evacuated New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina and settled in Nashville for a few months. With lots of time on my hands Gruhn Guitars was a frequent destination. The folks at Gruhn were very nice and patient, not overly solicitous and quite friendly when not overwhelmed by the other 'tourist lookie-loos' who gawked at all the guitars. Its a must see stop in Nashville. Another great shop is Cotten Music which is closer to the Vanderbilt campus over on 21st street. I ended up buying a Gibson mandolin and a Collings guitar at Cotten and took a few lessons there as well. Can't say enough great stuff about Cotten.
Regards,
Charlie Carr
New Orleans

Kevin K
Dec-04-2006, 6:12pm
Charlie,
Was that mandolin lessons you took at Cotten? From who?

C. Carr
Dec-05-2006, 1:05am
Kevin,

Took mandolin lessons from Jim Prendergast at Cotten Music. It was a nice introduction to the instrument. Jim is a great teacher and I really wish that we were in the same city. We stayed in Nashville/Brentwood for two months and I loved every minute of it -- what a great town!
Regards,
Charlie

Jim Garber
Dec-05-2006, 10:15am
Do you have to go through security to actually meet George?
I was at a guitar show in Long Island many years ago and he had positioned himself sitting as your entered the show. If he saw you carrying in something that might be of interest, he would stop you. Still obsessed with the vintage stuff, I guess and trying to get first dibs.

Jim

Dave Dearnley
Dec-05-2006, 11:28am
Hey Gary,

I was in Friday morning picking up a Fishman amp.

I was concentrating so hard on staying away from old D-18s I probably wouldn't have noticed you even had we known each other!

Dave

gschmidt
Dec-05-2006, 11:30am
Ha! Cool. I was tucked away in the little front room playing away between 10 and 11. I didn't really notice any other people myself... other than some guy and his REALLY bored wife. I told them, I dropped mine off at the mall. Good move on my part.