PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for use with a computer

mandopete
Dec-03-2006, 4:15pm
I know this is not spcific to the mandolin, but I have always valued the information I get here. I'm looking for some speaker recomendations for my Apple iMAC. I use it extensively for music such as listening and practice and I'm getting tired of just using the internal speakers.

Any recomendations?

Jacob
Dec-03-2006, 5:54pm
I really like these (http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=mul_speakers&item=c1pcwzzzz).
They have a really big, full sound with excellent bass reproduction.
I've used these on my pc since they were first introduced.

andrew.wetdog
Dec-03-2006, 8:07pm
Depending on your budget there are many options. I really enjoy my 4.1 Klipsch which cost around $200. Other good brands are Altec Lansing, Logitech, and Bose. A "good" 2.1 system will run 100-150. Go to your local computer store and listen because different brands have different qualities. Also, find some consumer reviews online.

steve V. johnson
Dec-03-2006, 8:10pm
I've heard some of those Cambridge systems that sound really nice.

But I got sick of compromise and just went to the pawn shop and bought a nice (but cheap) stereo amplifier and some full-range speakers that I know well (pick your flavor, you probably already know what you like in your main stereo) and a cable that had a 1/8" stereo jack on one end and RCA jacks on the other to connect the computer to the amplifier.

Of course, if you need a small footprint or portability, that won't do... <G>

stv

evanreilly
Dec-03-2006, 9:47pm
I also run my computer sound card out to a stereo system, with a decent pair of speakers. I also run the amplifier into the card, which gives me option to record from a turntable, cassette deck, radio and an auxiliary input.

WJF
Dec-04-2006, 9:24am
I'll second the vote for Klipsch. I've got a set of 2.1's that are great! You can find them pretty easily around here (NYC metro area) at places like Best Buy and Circuit City.
Hope this helps ...

bradeinhorn
Dec-04-2006, 9:36am
I use the sony srs-z1. by far the best computer speakers i have heard. built really well and they really fill the room and have adequate bass. also makes for a quality traveling sound system for ipod or discman.

here is an amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SR....0051SDI (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRS-Z1-Personal-Speaker-Floating/dp/B000051SDI)

mehrsam
Dec-04-2006, 10:18am
The idea of using a computer to deliver audio quality sound throughout my house appeals to me; I've uploaded (downloaded? I never remember which direction is which...) most of my CD's to my hard drive and use iTunes for playback. I also use the computer for a lot of Web broadcasts, like Mandozine Radio.

But since the last piece of quality stereo equipment I purchased was a JVC turntable in 1980, I'm not completely clear on how to get the audio signal from the computer to an amplifier. Is it as simple as running a line from the 1/8" AUDIO OUT jack on my soundcard to the AUX IN jacks on the amplifier?

Sounds too easy...

mandopete
Dec-04-2006, 10:34am
Mark,

I'm with you - I'm looking for something fairly simple. #Seems like the computer has now replaced any audio system I used to use. #I use it to listen to the radio as I don't get much signal otherwise. #And since I loaded all of my CD's into iTunes, that's how I listen to music.

I've used a pair of nice headphones plugged into the 1/8" jack on the back of the machine and now I would like a speaker system that's comparable.

Steven Stone
Dec-04-2006, 10:47am
A major step up in quality, but only moderate step-up in price would be the NHT S-00 and M-00 combo. These are powered speakers with built-in amps and take both RCA and balanced XLR inputs.

They are DAW monitor quality for home recording projects. They are also designed for near-field environments and deliver very neutral, accurate, and for me most important fatigue-free lsitening even after long periods of high-volume (90 db at listening position) listening.

mando.player
Dec-04-2006, 11:31am
I use a pair of M-Audio 8" monitors hooked up to my iMac. However, I'm in the process of finishing off an addition to my house that will be a music room/library area (i.e. quiet, no TV, not kids toys). For this room I'm looking at these speakers (http://www.audioengineusa.com/products.htm). They seem to be getting pretty good reviews. I'll be hooking up a Roku Soundbridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products_soundbridge.php) to them. The Soundbridge streams music from iTunes and will stream Internet radio (without the computer being on).

I guess it really depends on your budget.

TonyP
Dec-04-2006, 11:32am
I would vote too for some kind of shielded near fields instead of computer speakers Pete. I don't personally know the NHT's, but if Steven recommends them, I would consider them. In our situation it's just good sense to buy something that is pro quality because if you ever want to do your own recording(why not!)one of the most important links is your speakers. Get something good, get used to them, and you will be glad you did. I use my Hafler's for everything, pc, stereo, recording. Luv 'em.

Don Grieser
Dec-04-2006, 11:37am
Anybody using the wireless AirStation to connect to their stereo? Just wondering how that works. The NHT speakers look great. I've still got the old old Alesis Monitor Ones with the RA-100 amp.

What would it take to switch between multiple inputs--recording set-up, computer, iPod, MiniDisc, etc.--into my RA-100 without reaching around the back and unplugging/plugging?

steve V. johnson
Dec-04-2006, 1:26pm
Mark wrote, "The idea of using a computer to deliver audio quality sound throughout my house appeals to me; I've uploaded (downloaded? I never remember which direction is which...) most of my CD's to my hard drive and use iTunes for playback. I also use the computer for a lot of Web broadcasts, like Mandozine Radio."

For full-house coverage the truly hot setup is to use a wireless unit to send from your computer to satellite amp/speaker sets in each room, which can choose what to 'listen' to from the computer and be switched independently.

I saw a rig like this in an issue of Wired Magazine, in which they visited several examples of 'wired houses' which had a lot of automated stuff built in. And a friend here in town has done this, too. She said she had about $300 in it and that was about ... oh... not quite a year ago.

I don't know the specifics of the hardware or the setup, but it shouldn't be too difficult...

prty durn cool...

stv

mandroid
Dec-04-2006, 1:28pm
Don,
thats the benefit of the 5 way aux switch.
its not very big sits on a shelf , just wide enough to plug in 12 rca connections ,
another way would be a #stereo line mixer, 1U rack mount , and then you can leave it all hooked up.
bring up what you want , and as many as you want at the same time , then..

examples: , Rolls and beringer offer them , #a bag of adapter plugs for rca to 1/4" will be useful.

steve V. johnson
Dec-04-2006, 1:34pm
NHTs are some of my favorite home audio speakers, nice stuff. (I'm not sure that I'd consider using them for studio near-field monitoring, tho...)

I use a pair of old Alesis Monitor Ones on one of our TVs, too! They actually fill a room much better than I expected. Many of the higher-end "near-field" monitors lose a big of focus and definition when used to fill a room, but there are a lot of really cool self-powered monitors our now and the prices are easing lower and lower. I really like powered speakers, I like that the amps and the speakers have been matched by the mfr. They're heavy and some of the cheap ones make a good bit of heat from the back, but they're getting better and better and cheaper and cheaper, and are one option for this sort of application.

Another friend of mine has one of the little Bose surround systems. It has loads of little speakers... -seven- of 'em, I think, and a subwoofer that's a little smaller than a small computer tower, and it sounds magnificent. His room is a big common room with a 17' wide living room that meets the kitchen on a ... maybe 32' length. He messed with the speaker placement until he got it right and it's wonderful. This seems a much better solution for a big room than a pair of near-fields, but they could do better for a smaller room, esp. if one usually faces a video screen there.

just jammin' ideas...

stv

Bob Denton
Dec-04-2006, 1:35pm
I use a pair of 8" self powered studio monitors. They are deisgned for nearfield listening.

cu

Steven Stone
Dec-04-2006, 9:27pm
[NHTs are some of my favorite home audio speakers, nice stuff. (I'm not sure that I'd consider using them for studio near-field monitoring, tho...)]

You obviously haven't heard the M-00 speakers. They were designed for professional nearfield computer DAW environments. They remind me of the smallest Genelecs, but a bit less laid back, and substantially less expensive at $500 a pair.

Another even less expensive alternative are the NHT Super Zero speakers, which run about $100 each - they are passive - you will need an amp to drive them, but they work great for near field.

For full range reproduction You also need a subwoofer. I keep mine under the desk and use 80 Hz as my crossover point.

For Subs there are a lot of choices. EarthQuake makes a very inexpensive line of high-quality subs - their 10" version runs around $300 and works great with nearfield monitors. There's also HSU, who makes some amazing small footprint subs.

mandopete
Dec-04-2006, 10:24pm
Can someone explain what is meant by the term "near field monitoring"? I'm really just looking for something that will plug directly into the computer.

mandopete
Dec-04-2006, 10:33pm
...and here's a link to some info on the NHT's (http://nhthifi.com/2006/products/pchifi/m00.html)

My question is can you connect these directly to the 1/8" plug on the computer itself? These may be a little big (in size) for what I need, but it's more in line with what I'm looking for.

Don Grieser
Dec-05-2006, 12:12am
Near field monitors are mainly used to mix down multitrack recordings. They are designed to be placed within an arm's length of your listening position, each about 45 degrees from your head at ear height. The concept is that you won't hear as much of the influence of the room acoustics with the speakers close to you for figuring out how to mix multiple tracks down to stereo. Kinda like wearing a huge pair of headphones. They are supposed to be pretty flat in their frequency response unlike computer/some stereo speakers, but some don't sound as good if they are not listened to from the optimal position.

OK, the rest of you can correct me now. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

mandroid
Dec-05-2006, 1:56am
there is an angle with most cone speakers that sound well, if you are within the intersection of the 2 .

then perhaps Bose , stuff with their direct / reflecting thing , may be more suitable . if kept well away from CRT monitors shielding may not be required.

A box I got awhile ago has impedance load transformers in it and so a number of pairs of speakers can be hooked up in a number of rooms, but the amplifier still sees like 4 ohms at a minimum.
thats keeps solid state amps happy. then you can get a room filling sound, at a modest volume. not quite surround 5.1, but less point specific. low budget radio shack speakers worked OK , with a powered sub woofer , off a pre amp splitter.

neighbors occasionally were less entertained, at times.

TonyP
Dec-05-2006, 9:47am
sorry Pete, we might have gotten carried away, but with an adapter, any of the powered near fields will work. Depends on which near field you are talking about too, as mine work great as stereo speakers. I used to have what were considered pretty good speakers in their day(ESS)but when I went to the Hafler's, it was a whole new world sound. Since you didn't say what your price range was, it's your fault http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

steve V. johnson
Dec-05-2006, 11:19am
Good explanation, Don!

Thanks,

stv

mandopete
Dec-05-2006, 11:24am
Thanks for all of this information. #I'm really looking for something for general listening and not so much for a studio mix-down application. #Since it's a desktop environment they need to be fairly small in size. #My budget is in the neighborhood of $200.

I looked at the#Klipsch Promedia GMX A-2.1 (http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-gmx-a-2-1.aspx) and those look like they might do the trick.

cbarry
Dec-05-2006, 4:39pm
Thanks for the tip on those Cambridge speakers. I like that price! I just ordered them and I'll let you now what I think. I was looking for some for the home computer, the iPod and the computer at work.
This is a great thread!
Chuck

mandroid
Dec-05-2006, 10:57pm
Had to look , Bose , of course has a multimedia [computer] speaker set or 3
top range model is run off a USB connection, for those that lack #a soundcard with stereo line output.
And their own musicians forum too. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif gearheads http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

mandopete
Dec-13-2006, 4:45pm
I looked at the#Klipsch Promedia GMX A-2.1 (http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-gmx-a-2-1.aspx) and those look like they might do the trick.
Okay, just picked up a set of these for $99 on Tiger Direct and boy, what a difference that sub-woofer makes! #I also like the fact that this set up comes with an analog volume and sub-woofer control.

But those little speakers look like something out of Buck Rogers.

cbarry
Dec-14-2006, 7:53pm
I received and quickly hooked up the Cambridge speakers yesterday. I'm thrilled. They're not Voice of the Theatres, but for 50 bucks and their tiny size, I'm impressed. First time I've had a subwoofer. It really helps fill things out, but I've got it dialed back almost to nothing. Who needs that much bass?
And that transformer! The thing's the size of a brick! Probably heat the whole house.
Thanks again for the great tip. Got to get another set for work.