PDA

View Full Version : Eastman rep

Tim Finch
Dec-01-2006, 1:54pm
First I would like to introduce myself,My name is Tim Finch ,I have been with Eastman Strings for about 8 months.My job is to go to bluegrass,folk,americana festivals to promote Eastman and their dealers.I have probably met a few of you on the list in my travels so far.Its a great gig and so far has been a blast!I also play mandolin in a couple of bands,the Gooddeale bluegrass band with Mike Auldridge(www.gooddealebluegrass.com)and the Eastman string band which includes my wife Savannah and fiddling great Jon Glik.I have two great mandolins,one is a Parker,made by Jim Parker in Holidaysburg PA.Jim is a great builder and a great guy, my F-5 model he built for me coudn't be any better!My other mando is an Eastman 815 it also has a great chop and tone.I used to own a music store(the gooddeale bluegrass shop)in Deale Maryland for 7 years.I sold it last year.I stopped in my old store months ago and saw Eastmans in the store,I coudn't beleive the quality for the price!So anyway I'll be at a festival near you ,I will post which ones and the dealer I will be with.Some festivals the band or bands will be playing also.I will be checking the list often and hopefully can answer your Eastman questions...Thanks again Tim Finch tfinch@eastmanstrings.com

rhetoric
Dec-01-2006, 2:18pm
Allow me to be the first in the cafe to welcome you. Welcome. (I have a 504 and it sounds delightful.)

jim_n_virginia
Dec-01-2006, 2:37pm
Welcome! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Stephen Perry
Dec-01-2006, 2:46pm
Haven't we met? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

JEStanek
Dec-01-2006, 4:09pm
Welcome from another proud Eastman owner. I'm sure you'll get plenty of PMs from people with questions. I'm glad you're here.

Jamie

AppBrookie
Dec-01-2006, 4:26pm
Welcome,
Still a newbie after a year, but love my 515!
AppBrookie

LKN2MYIS
Dec-01-2006, 5:19pm
Glad you came by.

Please make this a VERY regular stop on your daily routine -
I'm INCREDIBLY impressed with my 904D.

Really wasn't expecting to be that impressed. My desire was to spend not a whole lot of money and get a semi-respectable mandolin. What a pleasant surprise!

jim simpson
Dec-01-2006, 6:32pm
Welcome,
I came to the bluegrass jam at gooddeale bluegrass a couple of years ago with my friend, Bill Breazeale. You were out of town so I missed you. Glad you're here.
Jim

OlderThanWillie
Dec-01-2006, 9:26pm
Welcome to The Cafe and tell us when the Eastman mandolas are going to be generally available.

red7flag
Dec-01-2006, 10:29pm
Welcome to the Cafe. This has been a very positive forum for Eastman. Steve Perry has been ably holding the fort for you.
Tony

Tim Finch
Dec-02-2006, 11:38am
Thanks everybody,I'll be checking in a few times a week.Also I will talk to Tom Stadler in CA. about checking in to.Tom and I came on board about the same time.Tom is the head luthier with Eastman now and can help with some tech questions....Also I see Steve Perry on the list,me and Steve will be in Nashville in Feb (1st-4th) for SPGMA.Well I'm off to get a christmas tree talk to you'all soon...Tim

fiddlingdan
Dec-02-2006, 2:26pm
Welcome Tim,
As the proud owner of a 615, Its nice to have a rep from the company here on the Cafe. Looking forward to seeing you sometime at one of the shows. Any chance you might be at Roanoke FiddleFest in July?
Dan

cbarry
Dec-02-2006, 2:35pm
Hi,
Welcome! A while back, your predecessor at Eastman said that there may be some changes in nut width coming along. Maybe other stuff, too, but Eastman's narrow fingerboards are the only thing keeping me from getting one.
Any word on that?
Thanks!
Chuck

cooper4205
Dec-02-2006, 2:58pm
i just got a 515 yesterday, nice mandolin for a great price- the plain-jane 500 series are my favorite looking eastman mandolins, too (i prefer the bare-bones look). i wish they would do more of the sunburst finish than the classical. now i just need to get another 504!

f5joe
Dec-02-2006, 3:01pm
Mr. Finch, welcome.

I was given your email address by your wife at IBMA. I've sent two emails and have yet to hear back from you. I have a specific need to talk with you and would appreciate it.

My email is jprev@tds.net

I'll await your contact. Thank you. Joe

Tim Finch
Dec-02-2006, 3:03pm
I'll be at Greyfox in July,I'll look into Roanoke..
Tim

Five
Dec-04-2006, 7:52pm
Welcome...Nice to hear from Eastman again on this message board and I hope the Eastman board. : http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Tim Finch
Dec-04-2006, 9:10pm
I hope all is well with everyone,Chuck posted a question right off the bat ,I don't know!I will ask Tom about the nut width.So much for having all the answers ...Tim

cooper4205
Dec-04-2006, 10:22pm
what kind of tool is needed to adjust the trussrod on an eastman? allen wrench isn't working on this, and i can't find the tool that is supposed to come with the mandolin.

Stephen Perry
Dec-05-2006, 7:04am
No tool comes with the mandolin. I use a thin wall 1/4" drive socket. Think it is an 8 mm (I'm not at the shop at the moment). Helps to back the nut off a little and lubricate it.

cbarry
Dec-05-2006, 12:52pm
Thanks Tim. I'll await word on the nut width with bated breath--and clumsy fingertips.
Chuck

The Mandolin Store
Dec-05-2006, 7:53pm
Someone here asked about Eastman mandolas:

A few weeks ago at the Southern Ohio Bluegrass Festival, many artists stopped by our booth to play new Gibsons, Collings and Weber mandolins. #Don Rigsby picked up the Eastman mandola we had there and fell in love. #It was amusing to see an artist be so taken with an instrument. #He even played it on stage that day! # He was signing CD's with one hand and holding the mandola in the other. #Yes, he went home with it too. #We do have them in stock also
Dennis
www.themandolinstore.com

JEStanek
Dec-05-2006, 9:00pm
Boy! He looks like a kid with a new puppy, and I mean that in the best possible way!

Thanks for the photo.

Jamie

Stephen Perry
Dec-05-2006, 9:42pm
Everyone seems to fall in love with them. I strung one up for a fellow in Ireland, tuned FCGD using J74 strings. Simply lovely.

allenhopkins
Dec-05-2006, 11:21pm
Love my Eastman 615 mandola! My fingertips have worn a little patch of the varnish away, I've played it so much in the three months I've owned it. For any bluegrass/country types who'd like to try the lower-pitched instrument, I heartily recommend Eastmans.

Tim Finch
Dec-07-2006, 7:36am
Chuck,there are no plans to widen the nut ...Tim

cbarry
Dec-07-2006, 11:46am
Tim,
Thanks for the news. You just saved me some big bucks!
I'm sure the traditionalists will be happy, though.
All the best to you and all the folks at Eastman!
Chuck

Dec-13-2006, 9:41am
Hello Tim,
I have a 505 classic finish (absolutely splendid instrument) although i did need to lower the G at the top nut but this was literally a couple of passes with a file.
It came with J75's, to heavy for me so i put J74's on.
It feels great now, incidentaly though what would you consider optimum strings for your instruments as a rule of thumb?
Cheers Neil.

fwoompf
Dec-13-2006, 9:57am
Are there any plans in the future to start offering A style Octave Mandolins? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Tim Finch
Dec-13-2006, 10:54am
I use J-74s I just like them the best,every so often i will put 75s on but I alwasys go back to the 74s.I'm not a big fan of the coated strings on F models,although on some oval hole mandos they seem to warm 'em up.I also found a new pick I like its called a "COOL" pick,anybody seen these?

Tim Finch
Dec-13-2006, 10:56am
Garnet I will check on this and get back to you.My gut feeling is that they will..
Tim

dr.jazz
Dec-15-2006, 7:06pm
Welcome to the Cafe from another dealer. I love the Mandola's. I hope to have one in stock at all times. Hope to run into you at one of the many festivals.

diamond ace
Dec-16-2006, 1:20pm
Welcome Tim! It's been quite a while since we last spoke. Hope all is well. I will be at SPBGMA in Nashville in Feb. Hope to see you there.

fwoompf
Dec-16-2006, 1:21pm
Garnet I will check on this and get back to you.My gut feeling is that they will..
Tim
Thanks! Looking forward to hearing what's up.

Tim Finch
Dec-19-2006, 2:11pm
There is a lot of interest in an octave mandolin,so I'm told it will happen..time frame I don't know..
Tim

fwoompf
Dec-19-2006, 2:12pm
Good to hear, I'll keep my ears open http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dec-20-2006, 5:26am
Hi Tim,
Just an obvious question probably.
My Eastman has the lovely classic finish. What is best to buff it up with and remove crud from my sweaty hands etc.
Cheers Neil.

jackofall
Dec-20-2006, 8:00am
I waited a while before welcoming you, Tim. Wanted to make sure you were staying around http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Nice to see some input from Eastman again. Welcome.