PDA

View Full Version : Alan bibey leaving blueridge

Kevin K
Dec-01-2006, 10:25am
Just saw on Bluegrass Blog http://www.thebluegrassblog.com/
that Alan Bibey, Steve Gulley and Phil Leadbetter are all leaving their respective groups and forming Grasstowne.

mandopete
Dec-01-2006, 11:40am
Wow, I think the fact that Steve Gulley is leaving Mountain Heart is even more shocking. Seems like that band was just hitting it's stride. Maybe it's best to quit while you're ahead.

Kevin K
Dec-01-2006, 11:48am
I wonder if BlueRidge and Mountian Heart will continue on.

mandopete
Dec-01-2006, 12:11pm
Isn't Terry Baucom playing with Doyle Lawson? #My guess is that Blueridge is gone, but the Mountain Heart question is much more provacative.

I like Barry Abernathy's voice better than Steve Gulley when it comes to Mountain Heart. #It would also be nicer to hear them with only 1 guitar. #I think their overall sound is just too bombastic. #I liked what Clay Jones did on his solo project and I wonder was effect having one guitar in the band might be.

This is all assuming they decide to carry on, which I think they will. #Heck, if they want two singers they could always fire Adam Steffey and hire Ricky Skaggs!

# http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Bob Simmers
Dec-01-2006, 2:43pm
I think Blueridge is just a 'better than average' band, but Alan is probably one of the top 2 or 3 bluegrass mandolinists.....maybe #1. This could turn into one of those 'super bands' like Third Time Out. Just my opinion, no offense intended towards Blueridge.

kyblue
Dec-01-2006, 6:03pm
I wonder if BlueRidge and Mountian Heart will continue on.

Are you serious? #I've never even heard BlueRidge, but do you really think Steve is that important to Mountain Heart?

Wow. #No way.

Paula

edit - no slight meant to Steve, but I would think he'd have to have a mighty big ego to think that.

f5joe
Dec-02-2006, 10:10am
kyblue: Gulley's a friend of mine. I have not spoken to him since this announcement. I can say this safely: Steve's a fan and supporter of Mtn. Heart and he doesn't have an ego regarding his position in the band. He's a team player. He'll be their biggest fan.

Personally, I hope Gulley, Leadbetter and Bibey turn up the traditional side some. That's just me.

All will survive well.

Tim
Dec-02-2006, 3:22pm
The founding members of a group generally set the tone/direction of a group. #When one of the founders leave, a reasonable question would be to the impact on the future of the group. #No one suggested that Steve himself questioned the future of the group (unless there was a deleted post that Kyblue was responding to).

kyblue
Dec-02-2006, 3:47pm
o.k. folks, please don't try to read something into what I wrote that I didn't mean to say. I was just trying to express surprise that anyone would suggest that Mountain Heart would fold because ANY one person left. And, in the edit comment I was trying to anticipate the people that look for ways to turn this negative by trying to say I didn't think the principal, in this case Steve, would think this. I don't know him, or any of them.

Quoting my friend Jeff Parker, 'one monkey don't stop no show.'

As it should be. And, thankfully, in this case as in LRB it isn't "insert name" and Mountain Heart in the group name.

Paula

Flowerpot
Dec-02-2006, 4:33pm
I think the Mt Heart question is a good one. Gulley is their lead singer, and having seen them live when he had laryngitis, I know it knocks out over half their material, maybe 2/3 of it, as there is not another singer with his range (Adam, Jim, Jason all have low voices, and I don't know that Clay sings). They'd have to find another lead voice to continue with their current song arrangements, and lead singers of that caliber are not as plentiful as instrumentalists. I would not expect them to go on as a 5-some with the current lineup, so it will probably take some amount of re-tooling to get things back on track. Believe me, I talked to the guys the weekend when Gulley was sick, and they were scrambling big time to fill out set lists (and came across like a powerhouse anyway, but it was not the face they wanted to present -- too many instrumentals and solo singing numbers and not enough signature vocal harmonies).

Russ Jordan
Dec-02-2006, 4:53pm
Barry Scott could handle the vocals.

mandopete
Dec-02-2006, 5:03pm
Not to pile on too much here, but a couple of years ago I saw IIIrd Tyme Out at Wintergrass and they yammered on about how they were a close-knit group and that if one of them left it just wouldn't be the same and they would quit playing. Not long after that Mike Hartgrove left and not too long after that Wayne Benson left.

Last I checked IIIrd Tyme Out is still recording and performing.

AlanN
Dec-02-2006, 5:58pm
A similar remark was made during the early heyday of the DGQ. Something like "It would be hard to imagine this group without the (then) current members."

Last time I checked, it has been 27 years since that first incarnation, and the DGQ is still going...and going, and going.

MH will persevere, but FP is right, they need a lead vocalist now.

Joe Singleton
Dec-02-2006, 7:09pm
I'd be more than happy to help them out....... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Tim
Dec-02-2006, 9:08pm
Most groups continue with major personnel changes. In some cases the basic "feel" to the group survives and in some its not really the same. There have been several threads here that discussed the changes (not for the better) in IIIrd Tyme Out over the past few years.

mandopete
Dec-03-2006, 3:14pm
MH will persevere, but FP is right, they need a lead vocalist now.
What's wrong with Barry Abernathy?

Scotti Adams
Dec-04-2006, 10:29am
Alan is staying with Blueridge to fill out their gigs thru Jan. Hes not sure if the band will continue on without him or not...hes encouraging them to do so.

Nolan
Dec-04-2006, 7:13pm
I like Adam Steffeys voice, maybe they'll let him sing more. #I liked his singing with Alison and the Isaacs too.

Mountain Heart is good live but something about their cds was missing. Maybe this will change that.

AlanN
Dec-04-2006, 8:49pm
I like Adam's voice too. Kind of a cross bt. Johnny Cash and Lurch http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandopete
Dec-04-2006, 10:42pm
Kind of a cross bt. Johnny Cash and Lurch
L.O.L. !