PDA

View Full Version : Goin to see hot tuna

ira
Nov-30-2006, 8:59pm
sooooooo psyched- jorma, jack and barry m. - acous and elect.
should be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic!!!!!!!!!

Tripp Johnson
Nov-30-2006, 9:10pm
Mitterhoff is a monster!!! Great player and a really nice guy. I hear he's a great teacher as well. Anyone taken lessons from him?

jaco
Nov-30-2006, 9:19pm
Anyone been to Jorma's Fur Peace Ranch? Sounds innerestin.

Ira Chavis
Dec-01-2006, 5:09pm
Yep, alot of here in New York have been lucky to study with Barry. A great teacher and super nice guy. I've also taken the mando workshop at F.P.R. A great experience! Ira, you will love the new format. They mix the acoustic and electric over the course of both sets and they stand the whole time. The show in Pougkeepsie last weekend was awesome. Its my 7th year in a row catching the bardavon show.

have fun.
ira

Lee
Dec-01-2006, 5:43pm
Best thing is you can download the show the next day from the website www.hottunatunes.com for a modest fee of course. Mostly electric on this tour. I saw them Wed. before Thanksgiving. Wonderful show! Barry is playing a Micheal Stevens 5-string.

Rick Schmidlin
Dec-01-2006, 5:47pm
I was lucky i got to Hot Tuna around 1970 with Papa John Creech opening for the Jefferson Airplane.I also saw them this year at Merlefest and it was another great show.Jorma pointed out when Papa John started with them he was younger then Jack and he are now.

jim simpson
Dec-01-2006, 9:45pm
Rick,
I must have seen them on the same tour. I caught them at Kent State University.
When they first came out, I thought it was the Airplane without Grace.
Saw Delaney & Bonnie open up for the Mothers of Invention once. Only thing Bonnie was absent with no explanation.

ira
Dec-02-2006, 1:41pm
amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!!!!! they are all so incredible- even a spoon solo by the drummer. i love the new format. it is simply amazing that they can go from a hokum type jugband blues or old tyme type tune , switch instruments and play some heavy electric stuff immediately following, then back again. mitterhoff must've played 6 or 7 different isntruments- simply wonderful.

bones12
Dec-02-2006, 3:41pm
Two nights ago I saw them here in Burlington, Vermont and it was a great concert and a good crowd. Barry broght out all sorts of different sounds on his mandolins. Jack's bass was stellar. Doug

ira
Dec-04-2006, 12:21pm
it is incredible how jack plays a bass solo. most that i hear in the rock vein are rythmic variations. jack plays his bass solo the way a guitarist might, using the bass to explore melodic flows- simply incredible.

Cetecea
Dec-05-2006, 1:41pm
Saw this tour the other night in New Hampshire. Great show! Been a fan of Jack's for years and this is the first time I got to see him.

Barry was fantastic, now I'm jonesing for a 5-er electric.

My wife was not pleased! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

kvk
Dec-06-2006, 3:09pm
Didn't here about this show at all. Where was it? I saw the show in Lowell this summer and it was way excellent. Barry played eight different tuned-in-fifths instruments.

ira
Dec-06-2006, 3:46pm
sommerville theater

Christian McKee
Dec-07-2006, 1:21pm
There's a photo of me, Barry, and my flying V 5 stringer on my myspace page, www.myspace.com/miniguitar (http://www.myspace.com/miniguitar). #Check the "pics" section. #That was taken before October's acoustic Tuna show in Portland, OR. #Jack looked at the instrument, and said it looks like a mandolin that someone would think up "while sitting around watching Star Trek, smoking a big doob." #

I don't miss these guys when they're around, acoustic, electric, whichever. #The magic between Jack and Jorma is undeniable, and Barry fits so well with them.

Christian

Dave Gumbart
Dec-07-2006, 7:57pm
What may be one of the best t-shirts ever, seen by a friend at a Hot Tuna show some years ago.

front: "If you don't know Jorma..."

back: "...you don't know Jack!"

I love that.

Dave

ira
Dec-08-2006, 10:12am
still for sale, though now they have the writing all on the front and a pic of the gentlemen on the back. one of my favs as well...:blues: