PDA

View Full Version : Airplane regulations and mandos?

JLee
Nov-30-2006, 3:24am
I think someone brought this up before but I'm not sure what the answer was. I am visiting my parents for Christmas and I want to bring my mando to play for them. There is NO WAY that I will get on a plane WITHOUT my mando (I won't check it under the plane). So my question is: do they allow a mando as a carry-on? Even if I'm not a professional musician or anything?

Thanks

trevor
Nov-30-2006, 4:56am
J,
I have read many threads on this and had some personal experience. I think there is only one conclusion. It depends on the folk at the desk on the day. Regulations vary but enforcement varies even more.
Covering a hard case with something softer seems to have a positve effect in being less noticeable.

Stephanie Reiser
Nov-30-2006, 5:53am
I have flown many times with my mandolin. I have never had it "checked-in". I have always been able to carry it on, and stow it in the overhead. I wish they'd want to open the case, so that I could remove it and people would be able to see it, but they could care less.
I bet you will be able to take yours onboard, too.
Have a wonderful Christmas.

Fred Keller
Nov-30-2006, 8:07am
Ditto what Amanda Lyn said. Most recently, I took a trip to England this month--no problem either way getting it on the plane and into the overhead.

Brad Weiss
Nov-30-2006, 8:12am
I've never EVER had anyone question my mandolin on board. I've flown across country at least half a dozen times, trans-Atlantic 2 or 3, and from the UK to East Africa and back - and NEVER been asked to check my instrument. That said, just be nice, act confident (i.e., don't ask if it's ok) and you'll be fine.

fatt-dad
Nov-30-2006, 8:22am
Never had a problem whether interstate or international. I almost always fly with my mandolin when I travel for business and never checked it, even in the dinky planes.

f-d

Dale Ludewig
Nov-30-2006, 8:32am
I just flew from O'Hare to Charlotte, NC, and back last week. No problem with the mando. Only comment from one security person was that they wish they had time to hear it. I've flown many times with a mandolin and I've never had a problem carrying it on.

Mattg
Nov-30-2006, 9:38am
I've taken 6 airpline rides this year with my mando with NO problems at all. It is still smaller than some of the steamer trunk sized roll-ons that folks bring on. A flight I took a few weeks ago had 3 mandos on board. I even got the personal, but thorough search on one leg of the flight and, even though the searched the mando case, not a word was said. I often see full sized guitars crammed into the overhead.

fatt-dad
Nov-30-2006, 9:58am
had 3 mandos on board.
My bad luck - I guess. I've only seen one other mandolin in an airport during my travels. Just two weeks ago, I saw a guy in Miami who was toting a Johnson A model. He was with the Dance Company of Harlem and was using his mandolin for their production of King Lear (of all things - like Shakespere had a Johnson).

I on the other hand was toting my pancake.

f-d

kww
Nov-30-2006, 11:32am
Just to reiterate the conclusions of experienced travelers: if you have a valuable carry-on that is pushing the size limits (which any mandolin will do):

1) Be polite.
2) Show up early.
3) Be polite.
4) Get a seat that boards early.
5) Be polite.
6) Don't carry any other items on board bigger than a paperback.
7) Be polite.
8) Try to avoid full flights.
9) Be polite.
10) Don't get into fist-fights with security police. They have the authority and the will to break your arms and worse.
11) Be polite.
12) Don't wave any stupid letters from the internet in anyone's face.
13) Be polite.

tiltman
Nov-30-2006, 11:40am
14)hold your temper when they ask if it's a banjo
15)be polite
Kirk

Jonathan Peck
Nov-30-2006, 11:43am
I just flew for the holiday with no problems....excepting...we took a car service home from the airport and the driver put my mando and my wife and daughters violins in the front seat for safekeeping (we...ah..eh..they had alot of luggage...me - one small bag, one mando).

When we got home, the driver opened the front door of the big SUV and out drops my mando onto the street head first. Man, was I glad it was in a Calton. Learned a good lesson. It can be tough traveling with a family, but don't ever let anybody else handle your instrument unless you really have no other choice.

This might be helpful A Strategy for Air Travel and Guitars (http://www.bansheewerks.com/frivolities/geetar/tech.shtml#fly_right)

-jonathan

tiltman
Nov-30-2006, 11:44am
Ditto with all of the above.
I've traveled often with my mandolins and have not had a problem (knock on wood).
DEFINITELY DON'T ask if it's ok...that will only make them think about it...you don't want them to think about it.
Show up early, check your other bags, etc.
Kirk

Ken Sager
Nov-30-2006, 11:58am
America West Airline might hassle you. Otherwise, nobody seems to care. If you're worried, put your mandolin case inside a tennis racquet bag. Nobody questions travelers with tennis racquets, but instruments can catch an eye occassionally. Besides, a padded tennis racquet bag provides a little more protection, adds a shoulder strap, and is a little less conspicuous.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/uploads/post-12-96243-mandocase.jpg

PaulD
Nov-30-2006, 12:09pm
I flew from SLC to PA a few weeks ago with my mando and carry on bag, and about a year ago my wife and I took our mandos to Pheonix. I never check instruments and I only check bags if I have to (rarely). The only mando related thing I got hassled about were the some wire cutters for clipping the strings... they were under the new 7" limit but this was just before they changed that rule. They looked at them leaving SLC but let me on, but when security in Phoenix started making an issue of it I told them to throw them out... they weren't worth it if they caused concern. With the new rules you should be fine even with wire cutters, and I found a pair that are only about 3.5" long and I ground the end round so they're even less threatening to the TSA and my mando's finish.

pd

Jonathan Peck
Nov-30-2006, 12:25pm
I didn't know about the new 7" rule. I always take everything out of the case. I'm not sure what a metronome, or electronic tuner would look like going through a scanner, but I'm sure anything with wires and a battery would definitely get a second look.

PaulD
Nov-30-2006, 12:44pm
I haven't had them hassle me about the tuners (Sabine 1000 & Intellitouch). They dug a couple antiques from my bag on the way back from PA: a glass inkwell for my son who does calligraphy, and a woodworking plane that was under the 7" but the plane iron could have done some damage if I were so inclined. After looking them over they allowed me to put both back and carry the bag on the plane. It all depends on what inspector you get... oh yeah... and be polite.

Mattg
Nov-30-2006, 3:09pm
I've had hassle free mando carry ons with United, Delta and US Air.

Stephen Perry
Dec-01-2006, 7:34am
http://www.badanco.com/carry-on.htm

22" is the usual limit they can enforce. Need a two-piece mandolin for that to work. I haven't seen this enforced much, but during the holiday season space will be tight and tempers short.

On the other hand, I've seen a mandolin checked in an Eastman shaped case and get through just fine. Although I'm not sure I would be very comfortable doing it.

I generally pack an instrument as if I were shipping it by UPS and check the whole packed box. That works well with a range of things.

LKN2MYIS
Dec-01-2006, 11:49am
I've seen in enforced.

I talked about this on another thread I couldn't find.

Mike Davis going to Merlefest this year was not allowed to take his mando (rectangular case) on board.

He missed the flight, went home, and I believe drove down (from NYC) the following day.

I ALWAYS put it in a case that, if they force me to gate check it, I won't have to worry. Say "Calton".

I just feel that it is never worth the risk of taking an instrument I love on a plane. Worst case, where ever I go, I'd hit the local music store and rent one for a week. The price for my paranoid peace of mind.

Bob Denton
Dec-01-2006, 1:47pm
Just got back from Nashville last night. I carried both a guitar and mando in nylon covered hard foam cases on Continental plus a computer case.

No problems what so ever.

I did have to gate check the guitar for the commuter flight between Nashville and Houston, but the guitar was still in tune whencI got to Nashville.

BTW, is anyone on the Cafe the mando player I passed heading for the gates in Terminal B in Houston yesterday?

Cya

islandtime
Dec-03-2006, 10:20pm
A Calton case should fit fine even in the overhead bin of a CRJ. But I will agree with whomever suggested getting on as eary as you can, before the bins fill up. Particularly in the Winter when people have a tendancy to haul their entire house on board.

holdenzdad
Dec-03-2006, 11:16pm
I second the issue with America West - I had to check my instrument with them. Two things I've done since the America West incident -

1)Make sure my total case measurement falls within the maximum range for the airline - my TKL case falls easily within Delta's total range. It's not a bad thing to have in case you get questioned.

2)Call the customer service folks at the airline (ie. Delta's hq is in Atlanta) - get something emailed to you(or just the service reps name and position) - verifying that they will allow the instrument on board. I know this seems like overkill, but I think it is beneficial to show you made an effort to research the airlines policies prior to flying (and actually, since I've done this, I never have needed to use it). Also, IMO this is better than using a Federal letter which the airlines don't have to adhere to.

Happy travels!

Steven

Rick Turner
Dec-04-2006, 2:18am
Well, this wasn't recently, but about 25 years ago I was on a flight and who else should be on the plane but our beloved Dawg. We managed to sit together, and he pulled out his Monteleone and he played for my wife (of that moment) and I. Dave and I had known each other over the years, and this was one of those great moments in high music.

Thomas Chapmond
Dec-04-2006, 9:52am
Several folks indicated that no mandolin case would meet airline restriction measurements. I have never had a problem taking my Kentucky A style on the plane in a gig bag, but it did wind up with a crack on the top during one trip. When I took it in for repairs, I ordered a Weber Sweet Pea. Just the ticket. It does fall within the restriction measurements.