PDA

View Full Version : Heiden F mandolins

troika
Nov-28-2006, 12:17pm
I recently read an interesting interview with Michael Heiden. He seems to have a very thorough and detailed approach to building mandolins. Do any of you out there own a Heiden? Are they as good as mandolins from other prominent builders in terms of tone, playability, and fit & finish?

billhay4
Nov-28-2006, 12:35pm
One of the best.
Bill

wallflower
Nov-28-2006, 12:38pm
I would count Heiden, Stanley, Dudenbostel and Gilchrist as my favorite Loar inspired builders. #They all make wonderful instruments.

AW Meyer
Nov-28-2006, 12:56pm
I don't own a Heiden, but those I have played are flat-out the best I've ever had my hands on. Michael is a master who should be listed among the big boys that Wallflower listed. He set up a Weber mandolin for me last year and built a new saddle for it in the process. I got to watch him do all this in his shop. It was amazing just to watch him work. He was originally going to fill and re-slot the old saddle. He started to do that, but then said that he wouldn't feel right doing that kind of fix. Then he went to his ebony stash and cut, slotted and compensated a new saddle. Oh, yeah, he makes wonderful guitars, as well. Just ask Guy Clarke or Mark O'Connor.

SternART
Nov-28-2006, 2:36pm
I have a VEDDY nice Heiden "Heritage" model with the 100 year old spruce. Pretty darn fabulous mandolin.

Rick Schmidlin
Nov-28-2006, 3:58pm
I love Heiden and Red Diamond these days

testore
Nov-28-2006, 4:19pm
I can confirm that SternART has one hell of a mando there!! Nice indeed!!

Flowerpot
Nov-28-2006, 4:55pm
I don't own one, but I've tried a couple of his. His mandolins don't take a back seat to anybody, you're talking top tier terrific stuff. He'd make it on my short list of most respected builders.

Tripp Johnson
Nov-28-2006, 5:02pm
A good friend and picking buddy has two Heiden F5s and they are both absolutely stunning instruments. I agree with those who posted before, definitely top tier.

Jim Roberts
Nov-28-2006, 6:24pm
Premier builder and a first class guy. #Very dedicated to his craft and it shows in his work both tonally and visually.

bush-man
Nov-28-2006, 8:05pm
Lovely looking instruments. Anyone know what his pricing is? There's no mention on his web site.

russell

troika
Nov-28-2006, 11:00pm
He has one in his shop, a blacktop I think, for around 15K. Yikes!

Jim Roberts
Nov-28-2006, 11:22pm
$15,000 and worth every penny. #I had a chance to play that blacktop this summer and it is superb. #It has a 100 plus year old spruce top which Michael charges a premium for...as he should. #The top is the same wood as on Arthur's Heritage F5. #Killer mandolin with a thump that'll rock your belly and crystal clear highs. #Flawless construction and a true work of art.

I believe Jeff Cowherd (www.mandolins.net) has a new Engelmann Spruce Heiden F5 for sale in the $14,500 range. #It is pictured below. #NFI in this mandolin.

Cary Fagan
Nov-29-2006, 9:51am
I've played a friend's Heiden many times, recently for about an hour. I've never played or heard anything finer. Lows, highs, chop, it truly has everything. Can a mandolin make you into a better player? When it's that good, yes.

fatt-dad
Nov-29-2006, 10:42am
I've never played a Heiden. That said, the mandolin that is being made for me had its plates carved in his shop. I'm having a mandolin built by Larry Muth, who is a close friend of Heiden and they spend time working on their stuff during the summers. As it happens, my plates were carved this summer at the Heiden shop. Just a few more weeks and I'll have my new mandolin!

f-d

testore
Nov-29-2006, 10:48am
I played sternART's Heiden 10 days ago. To me it had this amazing ZING to the sound. Not a bright quality, because the bottom end had it too. I've played only three Loars and don't have enough experience there to say. The best Loar I played however had the same type of presence to the sound, a fullness that remained powerfull long after being plucked.....ZING! Besides, Loar gets way too much credit. He wasn't a luthier, near as I can tell. Michael Heiden is a better builder than Loar ever was.

mandopete
Nov-29-2006, 11:12am
Looks like this feller likes 'em too...

SternART
Nov-29-2006, 11:23am
I hear Michael might be building another F5 for Reischmann. Heiden can build for the tone the customer is looking for.
I already had a killer BG Loar type sounding instrument, so I asked Michael for a more complex sound, not as dry, more
what I consider a full rich sound with lots of sustain & overtones. I consider this one I have a stellar Swing or Jazz axe,
but I'll tell you it sounds different than other Heiden's I've played, even other Heritage models that were voiced more
for a typical BG sound. I got the sound I was looking for, Michael has a good ear, is a player too, and if you can describe
the sound you want he can select appropriate materials and carve accordingly.

SternART
Nov-29-2006, 11:26am
BTW if you search under Heidenfest in the archives......we had numerous owners & mandos here at my studio,
to celebrate all things Heiden....even a guitar showed up....lots of pics in that thread.

troika
Nov-29-2006, 4:59pm
This seems like a real nice one.http://www.carmelmusic.com/stocklist/scanned%20photos/Heiden_F5_2002_F.jpgMy Webpage (www.carmelmusic.com/stocklist/scanned%20photos/Heiden_F5_2002_F.jpg)

troika
Nov-29-2006, 5:00pm
http://www.carmelmusic.com/stocklist/scanned%20photos/Heiden_F5_2002_F.jpg

jasona
Nov-29-2006, 5:02pm
http://www.carmelmusic.com/stocklist/scanned%20photos/Heiden_F5_2002_F.jpg
This one?

dr.jazz
Nov-29-2006, 6:21pm
I am privileged to be included among Michael's dealers. #(I just sold my last one a couple of weeks ago and am waiting for more!)
I'm also pleased and proud to be included among his friends. #My pals and I stop on our way to and from PSGW every year for a visit with Michael and Kay. #It's always one of the high points of the trip. #
Michael must be counted among the top 10 builders in the world today (possibly the top 3). #His instruments are voiced to perfection. #He can, in fact, "call the sound". #Tell him what you want, and he will "make it so". # He has a wonderful esthetic, as the pictures show, and he just seems to be getting better every day. #
I'm grateful to be the owner of a truly monster "Pumpkin" A-model. #I'm also grateful that I bit the bullet before the prices went up a couple of years ago. #- A lesson I should remember. #Prices seldom ever go down for the best of something. #:-)

SternART
Nov-29-2006, 8:05pm
Hey Dr.Jazz.....good news is Michael has.... if anything.... improved over the past few years.
And while the Artist models are quite excellent, the Heritage models, with the 100 year old spruce
are to my ear even mo betta. He has a limited number of these tops, they were part of a building
in their pre-instrument life.

jasona
Nov-30-2006, 10:12pm
I can couch for Dr Jazz's Heiden--it is a wonderfully responsive instrument, surprisingly light, and has a super neck. Just a quick impression from having picked on it for a wee bit while trying out picks (went home with a nice Tortis tritip and a special extra pick which is much appreciated). I also have had the opportunity of playing Andrew Collin's old F, which might have the fastest neck on any mandolin I've had the pleasure of playing. I've heard a few more-all have the tone!

AW Meyer
Dec-01-2006, 12:58pm
Yup! I've played Dr. Jazz's (Mike's) Heiden, as well. I was trying different mandolins that he had in stock. He handed me the Heiden first as a reference. It was kind of tough on the mortal mandolins (Webers) that I tried after it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

pathfinder
Dec-01-2006, 3:08pm
I know firsthand that these testimonials are accurate (I bought Artist Model #36 from Dr. Jazz several weeks ago). #Out of the box, it could go toe-to-toe against my Apitius 'F'. #I can't begin to imagine how the Heritage 'F' models must sound. #

Pete Martin
Dec-01-2006, 5:15pm
Wonderful instruments and a good guy. Good player as well.

Cheryl Watson
Dec-01-2006, 6:13pm
If you want to hear a Heiden loud and clear with only guitar and vocals--buy Ben Winship and John Lowell's "Occupational Hazards" and that mandolin and John's Proulx are both awesome sounding instruments-ocatve mando on there too...I think a Brock. This album is a must buy anyway because the songwriting, the vocals and the musicianship are all first rate with great soul and tone.

Cheryl

AW Meyer
Dec-02-2006, 10:53am
Andrew Collins plays a Heiden. He has a couple of tunes posted on the Cafe's MP3 page.

SternART
Dec-02-2006, 10:59am
I heard that Andrew just got his new Heiden......as I recall his earlier one was for sale in the classifieds awhile back.
Michael made him a new one with a different top wood.

craigmurray
Dec-02-2006, 11:47am
I had the pleasure of watching/listening to Andrew play my Heiden for an entire Creaking Tree String Quartet show last week. Andrew had hoped to have his new Heiden before the show, but it wasn't finished in time. It is a real pleasure listening to your instrument in the hands of such a proficient player. It has never been played so hard, or sounded so sweet! The Creaking Tree have recorded a new album that they hope to have out in a few months. I have heard a rough mix of the album, and it is fantastic. I am a big fan of their first two albums, but I think the new album is their best yet.

jasona
Dec-02-2006, 1:29pm
I heard that Andrew just got his new Heiden......as I recall his earlier one was for sale in the classifieds awhile back.
Michael made him a new one with a different top wood.
Andrew has made the jump to Engelmann after receiving his Heiden A of that same wood. I believe his old F, which was on consignment at the 12th Fret last time I looked, has a sitka top.

Craig, how cool is that? Any pics of Andrew with your mando? I can't wait for the new album, and as I have more work in the T dot coming up, I will see if I can get it to coincide with the CD release again.

troika
Dec-04-2006, 7:22pm
What does the 100 year old spruce Michael Heiden uses for his heritage models do for the tone of the instrument? Are they louder than his other mandolins?

sgarrity
Dec-04-2006, 7:42pm
I got to play a Heiden F5 briefly this weekend and can say that his work doesn't take a back seat to anyones. A finely crafted instrument with great tone and projection.

Shaun

SternART
Dec-04-2006, 7:50pm
I'm not sure if the Heritage models are louder.....I think it produces a more complex tone.....
and to my ear seems more broken in sounding when you first get the instrument.