PDA

View Full Version : New approaches to instruments

Brad Weiss
Nov-28-2006, 10:48am
Anyone else see this (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/28/science/28acou.html?8dpc=&_r=1&adxnnl=0&adxnnlx=1164726355-hCW4HI39PKp2K8NaQQr0iQ&pagewanted=all) story in the NY Times? I'd love to know more about this kind of stuff - a wonderful combination of scientistic empiricism and mystical reverence.

John Flynn
Nov-28-2006, 7:45pm
Very interesting. I read somewhere that a Japanese violin builder used something like that modeling technique shown on the interactive graphic to make a violin that actually beat out a Strad in a blind competition with a panel of experts. Another example of scientific innovation is the glass violin recently produced in Japan.

I agree that it's very interesting when science can expand on tradition. I think Rigel was an example of where that happened in the mandolin world. Too bad it didn't go long-term.

The unfortunate side effect of the search for the "next great thing" though, is gimmickry. A lot of "innovations" look better than they actually work.

hellindc
Nov-29-2006, 1:26am
If you visit the Times site for the story, make sure you click on the link for the short video on new designs for guitars, which might have to relevance to mandos too.

mandroid
Nov-29-2006, 3:42am
Saw a Fiddle being played by draping the horsehair over the strings, the stick under the instrument and played , I guess, with all 4 of the strings vibrating, double stops ,chords, and drones.
see the Guy's Shoe Band in PHC movie. the extra DVD features .