PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Bought

Bob A
Apr-29-2004, 10:37am
Just rec'd an instrument from Classical Mandolins, the new link that popped up a few weeks ago. It is the Monzino illustrated on the site.

A very nice instrument, well set up and pleasant to play. The neck is not so deep as an Embergher, but it certainly has more depth than is typical, which is a plus for me; I find having someplace to lean my thumb is helpful. Bar frets, in good shape, an Embergher-style bridge, rosewood board, maple body. Light, but not the lightest instrument I've played. Bright, cheerful sounding. Lacks the subtlety of the Pettine Special, and is obviously a midrange instrument, but quite a nice one overall.

It arrived strung with GHS classicals, which will eventually be swapped out for Lenzners (We must find an easy source for these: who's going to Europe soon?).

The biggest hoot is the "case". It is basically a shaped cloth bag, with a nifty little pocket sewn inside for strings, and a leather handle attached. The opening is thru a stout semicircular clasp, reminiscent of a 40s woman's handbag, right down to the little change-purse type snap closure. Offers no protection, of course: it's just a way to attach a handle to a mandolin. But it sure is cute.

You probably won't be hearing much from me over the next few days, but the neighbors will. Tough luck for them.

So, thanks to Classical Mandolins, for feeding the frenzy.

Jim Garber
Apr-29-2004, 10:41am
Bob A:
Congratulations on the new addition.

You must have quite an arsenal. Am I correct in assuming by your posting that you have both an Embergher and a Pettine Special?

Jim

Eugene
Apr-29-2004, 11:25am
Wow. I have been neglecting the web too much in recent times. I love the look of that Monzino, Bob, especially the semi-askew, semi-concentric rosette; congrats. Where is this shop physically located? I seem to recall having seen the Dolling and re-topped Gibaldi unsuccessfully pass eBay in the past.

vkioulaphides
Apr-29-2004, 11:32am
You have my warmest and most enthusiastic congratulations, Bob.

As for me, I am managing to beat MAS into (at least temporary) remission by careful, studious, and repeated application of Munier (as in Lo Scioglidita et al). This curative process only serves to remind me that I am not lacking in mandolins themselves but in (*#!^&(&!&*$&(!^&$#_*!^ ABILITY to play them! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Enjoy your lovely, new (old) baby in good health and cheer, my friend!

Bob A
Apr-29-2004, 2:28pm
Thanks, everyone, for the good wishes. Let me attempt to address the questions, overt and implied.

Yes, a Pettine Special. The Embergher is actually a Pecoraro, sort of a second-generation Embergher. Cerrone was the anointed successor; Pecoraro followed. From what I can tell, Embergher design was followed fairly closely.

Yes, Eugene, we have missed you of late. You need to get your head above water a bit more often. I too was taken in by the eccentric ring, as is only fitting, considering my personal eccentricities. The shop, or at least the proprietor, is in Georgia, an altogether surprising venue for bowlbacks, I'm sure you'll agree. (Since you mention ebay, the Monzino was also featured there. I lacked the heart to snag it off the bay, fearing the international hassles and the possibility if its needing Terminal Restoration: once it was here in the US and certified playable, I fell hard).

Bosh, Victor. I have no doubt at all that you are a master of the instrument, in the style which you are rooted.

All this mandolin acquisition needs to be laid at the feet of Tom Crandall, who still has my Vinaccia and De Meglio. The prurient itching for an Italian instrument has driven me deep into MAS. And now it may be that a Lombard mandolin will also fall into my hands. We'll see how that goes. I hope to be able to stop this spree real soon now.
But you all know the deep connection between bowlbacks and potato chips (of which I am an aficionado - it is my hobby to stop on cross-country trips and sample odd local brands, especially BBQ flavored. It always amazes and encourages me to find that these little delectable bits of cardiopoison are still not completely taken over by Major Agribusiness. I intend to do my bit to support local business, while I am still able, and I trust you all will do the same, now that the word is out. Also, they cost far less than a mandolin, so long as you exclude the price of the occasional triple bypass).

I need one of you guys to move to the area, for duets. You can use my mandolin if you want.