PDA

View Full Version : Tone guards

keymandoplyr
Nov-23-2006, 7:02pm
Thinking of installing a tone guard. But first anyone had any bad experiences with them ? $65.00 seem a bit steep for something made out of a couple of coat hangers ? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Gail Hester
Nov-23-2006, 7:41pm
A Tone-Gard is a couple of coat hangers like a mandolin is a couple chunks of wood. Tone-Gards are fantastic in my opinion, hand made and well worth the low price. The only occasions that I’ve noticed them to not make much difference is when the back of the instrument is too thick and doesn’t vibrate much to start with.

dave waite
Nov-23-2006, 8:15pm
I was suspicious at first, but someone sent me one on a mandolin that I purchased at no extra cost & I will never again be without one. They will not, and never claim to, improve the tone of a mandolin, only to prevent loss of tone & volume due to the back resting against the body. Also protects the back against belt buckle & zipper damage. Down side: Ugly as sin!

fwoompf
Nov-23-2006, 9:25pm
I do believe they allow your mandoiln to resonate more freely, thus creating more volume. I also really really like the extra weight on an A model as it makes it easier to balance and hold with the strap around the base of the neck/fingerboard.

Salty Dog
Nov-24-2006, 12:14am
I find the Toneguard uncomfortable against my body but I do believe it opens up the sound. #On the other hand, I don't think it improves on just holding the mandolin away from your body slightly when taking a break. #While some people claim they fit in certain cases on the mandolin, I haven't felt comfortable adding that additional thickness to my mandolin and forcing the top down on a case that was not built allowing for that additional thickness, so I (out of respect for the expense, and quality of my mandolins, would never try to force them into such a situation where the pressure on the top might be extreme. #That's my 2 cents.

SternART
Nov-24-2006, 12:57am
They fit fine in Calton & Pegasus cases......I've been doing it for many years, no problems.
If you can't hear the.... to my ears.... obvious improvement in sound....look at all the
pros using them, if there weren't sonic improvements guys like Grisman, Marshall & Skaggs
wouldn't have them on their Loars.

mandroid
Nov-24-2006, 1:01am
(2) Fit fine in original A4 case and protects the varnish from sweaty player's shirt.
also no difficuty F5 in the [used] Pegasus case, though if I could afford a new case I'd have the blocks cut with exact clearance so the cushioning is not compressed by rubber hose pads on sides.

jim_n_virginia
Nov-24-2006, 3:22am
I always kind of thought they were just another gimmick until a few weeks ago at the Roanoke Bluegrass weekend where I had the chance to play Big Joe's DMM with one one.

BIGGGG difference in tone and volume. My good friend bought a new Wayne Benson Signature model F-5 from him that weekend and she got the tone guard with it and she hasn't taken it off yet at all.

One demonstration completely sold me. The only reason I didn't buy one off the table is because I am too cheap! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I'm looking to "snipe" one off of eBay right now! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

jackofall
Nov-24-2006, 4:58am
Is there a UK outlet for these? I've done the thing with my Eastman 504 where you hold it away from the body to hear the difference in vol/tone, and it is a *very* significant difference!

I'd love to get a TG for my mando. It'd tip the balance over and make a good mandolin into a great one.

billkilpatrick
Nov-24-2006, 6:36am
before you go drilling holes in your mandolin (shudder) simply cut off a 1" (or so) section of pvc tubing - making a ring - and wedge it between the back of the instrument and your ample gut. the ring will elevate the instrument away from anything which will dampen the tone and give you an idea of the improvements - if any.

i tried it on my charango - even shaped the ring to accept the bowl shaped contours of the charango's back - but gave it up as the difference (in my experience) wasn't all that noticeable.

fishdawg40
Nov-24-2006, 6:49am
They rock! End of story! I love mine. Put an ad in the wanted section of the cafe. You might be able to pick up a used one, that's how I got mine.

I guess Mike Compton doesn't care for them. He doesn't use them and at a workshop he called them "tone reducers." I guess he was trying to be funny, but I'm not sure.

Shana Aisenberg
Nov-24-2006, 7:13am
I tried one, and although I do think they work for improving tone, I wasn't comfortable with having my mandolin sticking further out, it aggravated my repetitive stress injuries. You can achieve similar results by angling the mandolin away from your body at a 45 degree angle.

Seth

Nov-24-2006, 7:34am
Absolutely right. Just tilt the mando away from your body at 45 degrees.
You can come in and out of the mix and add more volume and tone 'when required for effect' instead of been on eleven all the time.

Jim Hilburn
Nov-24-2006, 10:13am
I'm sorry, but saying it holds the instrument too far away (1/2") and then advocating holding it at a 45 degee angle (quite extreme) doesn't make a lot of sense. (To me, anyway)

jmcgann
Nov-24-2006, 10:16am
Use the search function. It has been covered to death. 99% of the players love them. I think the other 1% hasn't tried them and likes to throw stones IMHO.

Shana Aisenberg
Nov-24-2006, 12:19pm
[QUOTE]I'm sorry, but saying it holds the instrument too far away (1/2") and then advocating holding it at a 45 degee angle (quite extreme) doesn't make a lot of sense. (To me, anyway)

I realize it doesn't sound like it makes sense, but the tone guard placed the mandolin further out on the belly, thus my right arm was sticking further out, which aggravated my shoulder issues http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Seth

WJF
Nov-24-2006, 12:51pm
I was perhaps the biggest ToneGard skeptic walking the planet ... until I bought one.

I purchased one solely to help protect the beautiful one pc back on my AL Smart F model. I wasn't buying the "it will improve the volume and overall tone" hype at all ... and then ... I put it on and hit a single chord. My wife was the first to notice ... remarkable in itself since she is soooo used to hearing mandolins that she has developed "selective hearing" and can tune them out for the most part. Only something truly amazing will cause her to comment any more. Anyway, the difference really was remarkable.

I have them on all my instruments now. They fit in my Calton cases and in my Travelite cases. $65 may seem pricey at first glance but for what they offer in both protection and sonic enhancement qualities, I personally think they're a steal.

Nov-24-2006, 3:52pm
It wasn't me who said it but half an inch does make a difference if its the entire back of the mando thats away from your body.
It alters your wrist angle at all times.
The 45 degrees is pretty approximate and not a definitive angle! It just means moving the neck of the mando forward until about 3/4 of the back leaves a small gap from your body but still maintains 1/4 contact at the strap pin end.
If you tilt the headstock up a ;little when you do this some compensation is evident and i find ease of play is not compromised.

Jim Hilburn
Nov-24-2006, 3:57pm
For me, it's become just like part of my mandolin. I don't give a moment's thought to the tonegard or how I hold the instrument. Every now and then I notice that I need to re-distribute where the pads are.

Jim Broyles
Nov-24-2006, 4:02pm
I try to angle the mando away from, and I can't play it right. It definitely increases volume, but I can't keep it out there and do my normal playing. Guess I need a Tone Gard.
What is this about holes? As far as I know, the Tone Gard does not alter integrity of the mandolin at all.

Nov-24-2006, 4:05pm
Each to there own I suppose,
I do think its a very strange concept.
As mr crompton says "Just learn to hold it right" (I think) dont quote me on this.
I will shut up, sorry.

Mike McCoy
Nov-24-2006, 4:18pm
jackofall,
You can reach Tony Pires the inventor and maker through his ToneGard website, Tony's a great guy.
I haven't taken mine off my mando but a few times for cleaning since I got it about 4 years ago. Simply put it makes my mando sound better and doesn't intrude on my playing in any way. I've never had a problem with it being uncomfortable in any way either.

fredfrank
Nov-24-2006, 4:53pm
The only problem I've ever had with the Tone-Gard, is when the buttons of my sport jacket get caught under one of the wires. I also leave it on all the time. I don't find that the extra half an inch from my body adversely affects my playing. I figure I'll be adding more than that after the Thanksgiving dinner settles in.

Nov-24-2006, 6:55pm
Sports jacket! Cleaning!
Dear god, is this what I have become?
Its the mandooin, its brought me lower than s***e.
Dawg have mercy.

fredfrank
Nov-24-2006, 9:01pm
Sports jacket! Cleaning!
Dear god, is this what I have become?
Its the mandooin, its brought me lower than s***e.
Dawg have mercy.
Huh?

Nov-25-2006, 6:23am
Sorry Fred, only joking, I to have a sports jacket(in fact many) most of which are of a quite foul check pattern. I love them all and I suppose the buttons would leave marks on the varnish without a toneguard.

Hans
Nov-25-2006, 8:24am
I have to say that while I have used tone guards from time to time (especially at IBMA booth), I've stopped using them. While they make the instrument louder, to me the tone of the instrument is changed. I believe it loses some of it's warmth and becomes brassier or harder edged. It's a subtle difference.

jmcgann
Nov-25-2006, 2:33pm
I had mine on my varnish finish Zeidler from 2003 until a photo shoot in May. I popped it off to get a nice photo of the back. No marks, no mars, no fuss no muss.

I feel it opens up the sound and allows the back to do what it is designed to do more efficiently.

SternART
Nov-25-2006, 2:48pm
Tony recommends putting a lil' Pledge on the strips, to rejuvinate them & prevent marks.
I DID have a very freshly varnished instrument that the pads left subtle marks, but they
polished right out.

Smyers
Nov-25-2006, 2:52pm
before you go drilling holes in your mandolin (shudder) simply cut off a 1" (or so) section of pvc tubing
Huh? #You've confused me, which isn't too hard to do. #There is no drilling of holes involved with a Tone-Gard. #It's held on by spring pressure via three plastic coated pins at three points on the sides of the mandolin. #Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant.

jswag
Nov-25-2006, 8:18pm
Unfortunately, My case doesn't have the room to leave the tonegard on, and it doesn't fit safely enough any other way in the case..When I'm standing using a strap, I only put the strap on my shoulder, so the mando tends to be at an angle away from my body anyway, and I haven't noticed a big difference. When I'm sitting and playing, I can tell a difference in volume though. I don't like (lazy?) having to keep taking it on and off all the time. So, sometimes I use it, sometimes it gets left behind ..
Jeff

fredfrank
Nov-25-2006, 9:04pm
I don't like (lazy?) having to keep taking it on and off all the time. So, sometimes I use it, sometimes it gets left behind ..
Jeff
Actually, the manufacturer doesn't recommend this because it weakens the spring that holds the gard on. Eventually, it will break or lose the tension that holds it on.

ronlane3
Nov-25-2006, 10:52pm
For me, it's become just like part of my mandolin. I don't give a moment's thought to the tonegard or how I hold the instrument.
I agree with this statement. I use mine on both of my mandolins and after getting used to it, the only thing I notice is when I don't have it on.

billkilpatrick
Nov-26-2006, 3:56am
There is no drilling of holes involved with a Tone-Gard. #It's held on by spring pressure via three plastic coated pins at three points on the sides of the mandolin.
i was under the impression you had to drill holes in the body to support the guard - it's been a while and perhaps i was looking MACH 1.

Soupy1957
Nov-26-2006, 6:54am
Let me take us back to the fundamentals of this post: I presume a Tone Guard is the same thing as when we are talking about an "Arm Rest?"

As to "angle of the mandolin," I've noted and tried to replicate the angle I've seen many of the pros use, thinking that there must be some logical reason. It seems that when they set up (wearing a strap and standing), they hold their mando like a machine gun.

Since I had been doing most of my practice and playing in the seated position, and only recently switched over to standing with a strap, I've discovered that the "machine gun" position is better for me, but kinda weird. It is strange to get used to moving up the neck, toward my navel, as opposed to the way I play the guitar, from left to right. Now it's sorta North to South, as it were.

If the Tone Guard, (presumably the "Arm Rest") was on my mando, I wonder if the "machine gun" angle would be a problem with the item?

-Soupy1957

fishdawg40
Nov-26-2006, 7:16am
Soupy, a ToneGard prevents the mandolin from resting against your mid-section and allows the mandolin have peak volume and tone all the time. The test is play the mandolin against you stomach and them play it not against your stomach. The results will be that the mandolin is louder. Here's the link.

ToneGard (http://www.tone-gard.com/)

That's why (presumably) you see Ole' Bill holding in the almost north/south position you were talking about. He got better tone and a louder mandolin.

Bill Snyder
Nov-26-2006, 5:55pm
Tony recommends putting a lil' Pledge on the strips, to rejuvinate them & prevent marks.
I wouldn't put Pledge on anything that was going to contact my instrument. Pledge contains silicone which is not recommended for instrument finishes.

GTison
Nov-26-2006, 11:21pm
I've got one. I should sell it. But I keep it because I just know one day I'll have it when I need that extra edge for a loud Jam where you can't hear anything specific anyway.
Mine does help the volume of my Gibson 02 Fern (a little). I never use it on stage because I'm too loud already. I never use it because it doesn't fit in the case ( or I don't trust it to not dent the mando by forcing it in the case). It's in the closet somewhere. Oh and about the pledge (or something better maybe) USE IT my little black things started oxidizing and got black stuff on my white shirt. MAYBE I should use it on stage and play real real quiet. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif It is a nice accessory but not an essential. Kinda like a TS pick.

greg boyd
Nov-27-2006, 3:13pm
Hi to all...

Several years ago we had David Grisman in our store before and after some local concerts.
We had been considering carrying the tone-gard due to so many people asking where to get them.

We knew that Grisman was using them, and when he first got settled in our store I asked him if it was a "real thing" or a "gimmick"...

He replied, 'gimmick?... I use them, they're great... NOT a gimmick'

Then he took his Loar, "Crusher", out of the case with tone-gard attached and proceeded to demonstrate the overall ambient sound levels with the tone-gard ON and with it OFF.

Everyone in the room could hear the difference... but especially me, as David was aiming his mandolin at me from about 3 feet away...

We started stocking them right away, and happy to say we have a big fresh batch that just arrived in today's mail.

SternART
Nov-27-2006, 5:12pm
Curious Bill.....you're absolutely right there, the pledge concept Tony mentioned to me, is for the rubber tubing to renew it every so often. My bad, suggesting its use on the pads....sorry about that!

Dan Krhla
Nov-27-2006, 8:17pm
before you go drilling holes in your mandolin (shudder) simply cut off a 1" (or so) section of pvc tubing - making a ring - and wedge it between the back of the instrument and your ample gut. # the ring will elevate the instrument away from anything which will dampen the tone and give you an idea of the improvements - if any.

i tried it on my charango - even shaped the ring to accept the bowl shaped contours of the charango's back - but gave it up as the difference (in my experience) wasn't all that noticeable.
I didn't think you had to do any drilling to get this installed, did I miss something? I was almost interested, the website says installation is "a snap". Is there drilling involved?

TonyP
Nov-27-2006, 8:54pm
Tone-Gards are NOT an armrest, so they DON'T need drilling of anything, no way, not today, not tamale. And Pledge has worked fine for 20yrs now. And it's an interesting idea to put it on the leather pads. Wouldn't have ever thought of that, thanks Arthur. Maybe not that great of an idea for varnish, but then again, nothings a good idea for varnish http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif