PDA

View Full Version : What about brentrup?

PickinFool
Nov-23-2006, 8:41am
I don't read much on Brentrup mandolins and was curious, are they are still top shelf instruments. Is there still a waiting list and are they still high dollar? Curious, MAS is getting the best of me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

John Flynn
Nov-23-2006, 8:57am
Have you tried the Brentrup link is at the top of the page? The only way to know for sure is to contact Mr. B himself.

G. Fisher
Nov-23-2006, 10:24am
Hans is building incredible mandos and continues to be one of the top builders today. You can see what he has been up to by searching the picture forum. You would have to check with him about pricing and availability.

red7flag
Nov-23-2006, 11:43pm
Hans is a class act. His instruments demonstrate that class. They have an old school feel and workmanship, but often with some really nice imaginative and creative touches. You can either email him or phone call him. He is a pleasure to communicate with with any medium or in person. BTW, I don't have any financial interest and never owned one of his instruments, but I sure did consider it. At that time there was a 2.5 year wait, which for me is too long, but...
Tony

Big Joe
Nov-24-2006, 10:37am
Hans is a great builder and one cool guy! His traditional stuff is good, but his new designs are really COOL!

Flowerpot
Nov-24-2006, 4:37pm
Hans is still making them, and they are outstanding instruments. His instruments show great attention to detail, and the finish work shows off the beauty of the wood without covering it up. He also and has a great knack for knowing which wood combinations create which tonal profiles.

I'm a happy Brentrup owner (3x) and I gotta say, Hans is a top notch guy, great to work with, so give him a shout.

Mandobar
Nov-24-2006, 4:49pm
my latest brentrup (a blacktop stealth) is astounding. right now acousticmusic.org has a prototype m21v with an italian top. a great sounding mando. those in the northeast, shoreline of connecticut, go check it out.

bones12
Nov-24-2006, 5:55pm
I have had my Brentrup M22 (an F4) for 14 months now and it is a beautiful sounding and looking mandolin that is equivalent to my vintage F4s. I trust it implicitly and it never fails to sound great. The detail work is flawless and Hans is a wonderful fellow. I use it all the time for playing for dances and it is incredible. As you can see, I really like it. Doug in Vermont

R. Kane
Nov-24-2006, 6:12pm
I've had my hands, and have my eye, on that M21v prototype. Its exquisite, with a seriously deep dark tone, not like my Collings MF5 and MT2, and it begs for tunes in minor keys. In fact my MF5 is on consignment there (cheap!) so I can afford the next acquisition.

Mandobar
Nov-24-2006, 10:24pm
richard, take the plung, and you will never look back.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Jim Roberts
Nov-25-2006, 8:41pm
Took delivery on this oval hole A a few months ago and it is the real deal. #Hans is first class in all respects.

Jim Roberts
Nov-25-2006, 8:58pm
The back...

JD Cowles
Nov-27-2006, 12:52pm
Dang jim, the back of that one looks like the bubbles rising up through a pint of Guinness...

Nice work Hans.

Bill James
Nov-27-2006, 6:05pm
Yep, Dr. Hans is still curing MAS on a daily basis.

Hey Phil, do you still have your Brentrup?

cgwilsonjr
Nov-27-2006, 7:58pm
Another resounding vote for Hans' mandolins. My 2004 (red
spruce/bosnian maple)L-21V is a superb and inspiring instrument on every level. Get on the list or try to get one used. Chuck

billy parker
Nov-30-2006, 12:19pm
I bought Han's 23V at IBMA this year (I think it is the one in the photo on his website with the Italian Bearclaw Spruce top)and absolutely could not be more pleased. The even better part about it, is the more I play it the better it gets!!. Hans is an awesome guy and his instruments are top shelf in my opinion.