PDA

View Full Version : Beginners learning

John Bertotti
Apr-29-2004, 12:42am
It was suggested this should be a new thread from a different one I started. In that vain I'm looking for recommendations in learning materials for other than BG. Any ideas please chime in. Keep in mind I know nothing but can pick out individual notes in standard notation. I'm posting this here because it is were my interests are shifting. Thanks John http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

PlayerOf8
Apr-29-2004, 6:21am
John,
I would start by playing scales. ... and I'd play them until you are blue in the face. There are a number of basic books on the market to help you get started, but I would try anything fancy until you had all your scales and exercises down. SCALES Scales scales!!!!!

You'll thank me.
George

John Bertotti
Apr-29-2004, 6:35am
Thanks that works for me. I searched and see a lot of books. I would like to know what people think is a great exercise and scale source. I have also been told that the music theory for mandolin book by T Ohmson is good. Would you concur? Would these beginners resources also include the reading of standard notation, I don't remember much of it but think it is important. I now feel for everyone that ever said the wait was killing them. A phrase I heard on tv cracks me up and says it all. BOY HOWDY! HAHAHA Thanks John

Jim Garber
Apr-29-2004, 6:43am
What George says is certainly something to consider (and important) but I would suggest a gentler approach. I found that learning some simple fiddle tunes or etudes is a lot more palatable than mere scales. I would not want to scare John away from playing altogether.

As long as you are capable of reading, I would get Goichberg's 35 Progressive Etudes from Plucked String:

Author: Goichberg, Sol
Item: 35 Progressive Mandolin Etudes, op. 6 (Solo)
Item Number: PSE 010
Price: $10.00

These are some lovely playable melodies that will build technique while still giving you the satisfaction of actually playing something. I will look and see what I can throw into the shipping carton as far as beginning methods. The Bickford Volume 1 is still available, tho and might be a good one to start with. Also Christofaro is around.

Tho I am not completely familiar with them I would not necessarily steer away from the non-classical, fiddle-tune based methods to ease you into the instrument. Like I said, playing simple tunes can be the first key to getting you obsessed with an instrument. Primarily have fun with it. Later you can become serious about it.

I would also consider, down the line, perhaps a video or two. Gertrude Troester (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/strings/searchdb.cgi?uid=default&view_records=1&keyword=vvdd) has one out on the basics of playing and then progresses to more advanced techniques in her decidedly Germanic style.

Jim

Jim Garber
Apr-29-2004, 6:47am
I have also been told that the music theory for mandolin book by T Ohmson is good.
I have had that Ohmsen book since the first printing and I have to say that I have rarely looked at it. I am sure that there are some good things in it -- come to think of it I should take another look However, I don't think it makes sense for someone just starting out.

As far as scales, almost any method book has the scales and arpeggios in all keys. You can also check out the standrad viilin books like Kreutzer and Blumenstengel, if you like.

Jim

Bob A
Apr-29-2004, 10:17am
It would be well to decide on a particular genre of music that you find appealing, and work thru a few basic tunes or melodies. This will keep your interest alive when going gets tough. Also take pains to memorise a couple. That way you not only stretch and develop the memory muscles, but when someone asks you to play something, you've got an automatic fallback in the face of the sudden flopsweat. (Unless you're a born performer, of course. Sometimes I forget that such creatures exist).

John Bertotti
Apr-29-2004, 2:36pm
Now you all will see my lack of knowledge but what the heck is a Etude?
I would love a bunch of scales and exercises but like the idea of actually learning a few simple tunes also. Are there any simple restaurant style songs. I keep flashing back to Lady and the Tramp eating spaghetti. I liked the sounds of the music in Captain Corellis Mandolin and My big Fat Greek Wedding, if that provides for a common reference. I had, several weeks ago asked for cd suggestions but now have gone and spent that money on an instrument instead so have no knowledge of this style of music other than what I hear at Italian restaurants and in movies. Thanks for the help everyone. I couldn't help but dive into this pool head first and have found it to be very deep water. Excellent! John

harwilli55
Apr-29-2004, 3:18pm
Etude " is the French equivalent of " Study " . It is a fairly short piece which isolates and develops a particular aspect of technique.

Basically, an etude is an exercise used to study music. When practicing scales, they are great, because rather than just playing up and down the scale, they make you work through the scale in a musical melodic method that with practice becomes a tune of sorts.

Much more fun, because when you make progress, you can hear the tune develop. Also, when you decide to play a scale straight through, your fingers naturally find the correct positions because the etude burns that into muscle memory.

I am just discovering etudes as the way to learn scales and am loving them.

Harlan

chirorehab
Apr-29-2004, 3:19pm
Check out Jazzmando.com (http://www.jazzmando.com). #Lots of great exercises for beginners!

Check out Ted's FFcP article. #I have learned so much in the past few weeks.

This site is awesome!

Eric

Bob A
Apr-29-2004, 6:47pm
If you like Italian music, Plucked String (linked to this site) has a book by Terry Pender, with a bunch of cool tunes of varying degrees on difficulty, printed in both notes and tab. I'm sure you'd be able to deal successfully with some of it.

John Bertotti
Apr-29-2004, 9:10pm
Thank all again, Bob A is this the book you are referring to. I see a lot of stuff by Pender, Terry and Terence, same person?

Author: Terry Pender
Item: Italian Mandolin - Volume I
Item Number: NLP 011
Price: $15.00 ($3.25 shipping U.S., $6.00 Overseas)
Instrument: Mandolin an Guitar # # # # # # # # # # # # #

I did order the etude book referenced above it sounds like a god way to practice. Now I'll find some tunes. Thanks John #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jim Garber
Apr-29-2004, 10:07pm
There are a few sites for sheet music:
I have a 19th Century Tune Page (http://www.paperclipdesign.com/19ctunes/) with links to gifs. Many of the tunes are quite simple, either from the parlor music or the Italian repertoire.

The Werner Icking site (http://icking-music-archive.org/) is a rich collection of standard classical repertoire. Not necessarily mandolin related but adaptable for the instrument.

Nigel Gatherer (http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/gatherer/mando.html) put together a nice site with the emphasis on Scottish music. he has some beginners lessons with that Scottish accent.

Jim

Mike Crocker
Apr-30-2004, 8:15am
I seriously recommend, as an introduction to classical music, The Real Little Classical Fake Book (Hal Leonard). It contains over 600 classical themes and melodies. I've used it as a source for mandolin, guitar and bass lessons for a year or two. The only down side is the very small print, so I enlargen tunes with a photocopier. Every tune also has chords written above the staff.

For celtic and folk styles I recommend Simon Mayor's books.

Good luck!

Peace, Mooh.

vkioulaphides
Apr-30-2004, 10:10am
[QUOTE]" I keep flashing back to Lady and the Tramp eating spaghetti."

Ah, Bella notte! A beautiful tune... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Both directions offered you so far, John, are certainly valid and helpful: As for the type of songs you describe, why, there must be HUNDREDS of anthologies— I speak from personal experience, as my "mandolin repertoire" *blush* is largely comprised of such, ehm... magna opera http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

But, of course, those songs will not teach you anything mando-specific (please note the indirect, lame excuse for my own, lame playing), except perhaps the most important, musical lesson there is to be learned: shaping a melody!

Such a repertoire, in order to yield some more technical proficiency on the instrument, ought to be coupled with scales and etudes; it is not necessarily a bad thing if they are musically rather dry, as you will be getting your portion of musical gratification elsewhere, i.e. from the songs you pick. A good, introductory method book might also come handy as an ABC-book of sorts.

Finally, you understand naturally that there is no such demarcation between the time you are learnING to play an instrument and some hypothetical, future time when you will have already learnED to do so; its an ongoing, finger-twisting, life-enriching experience.

Pick on!

Jack Roberts
Apr-30-2004, 2:25pm
Finally, you understand naturally that there is no such demarcation between the time you are learnING to play an instrument and some hypothetical, future time when you will have already learnED to do so; its an ongoing, finger-twisting, life-enriching experience.
Victor, I don't know if you meant to ENcourage or DIScourage, the there is certianly truth in this. I can finally play the first Cello Suite "cover to cover", and what I have learned from it is how little I have really progressed!

Jack

John Bertotti
Apr-30-2004, 4:18pm
Not a worry about a lifetime learning process. I am a martial artist preparing to test for my 3rd degree. I teach it and learn something new everyday. Sometimes from what someone will do but most often it is a realization in myself on some intricacies. That sort of learning is even more fabulous than the early days doing the basics over and over again. That is the level I will be striving for in music. It may take the rest of my life but at least I have focus. Thanks John

Jack Roberts
Apr-30-2004, 5:49pm
Not a worry about a lifetime learning process. I am a martial artist preparing to test for my 3rd degree.
Cool. My son just passed his exam for sho-dan in Shotokan. He trains 3 times a week and has not missed a class in over 4 years. If I put the effort into mandolin that he does in Karate, I might actually get good. (If he put the effort into piano that he does in Karate...)

Jack

vkioulaphides
May-01-2004, 9:59am
[QUOTE]"...I don't know if you meant to ENcourage or DIScourage..."

Certainly the former, Jack. "Life as a learning experience" is the cornerstone of my views on life altogether. But sometimes we forget...

By way of a true anecdote: The great Gregor Piatigorsky, celebrated cellist and musical personality, became rather jaded in his later years; his playing accordingly deteriorated to the point of embarrassment. When his closest associates would suggest, as meekly and mildly as they could, that he actually practice, he would bark back: "Vy should I practice de cello? I know de cello!" Sad...

Bob A
May-01-2004, 11:45am
Yep, John, that is indeed the book I was referring to.

I can sympathise with Piatigorski. The more I get into playing other people's music, the more I seem to have lost regarding a menu of stuff I'd played by ear and improv. Still, I suspect I'm internalising some decent riffs by dead white guys, which company I'll be joining soon enough. Hope they haven't been listening!

John Bertotti
May-01-2004, 11:55am
Thanks Bob A I just ordered it also. I think that between the etudes book and the Terry Pender book I should be busy for a long time. And don't be in to much of a hurry to join those dead white guys you spoke of they don't need you there but you a needed here. Thanks John