PDA

View Full Version : Best girlfriend in the world

JeffD
Nov-21-2006, 2:44pm
Its a Washburn! Some have told me turn of the century (last century) others judge, from the condition, that it can't be any more than 5 years old.

JeffD
Nov-21-2006, 2:46pm
The label

JeffD
Nov-21-2006, 2:47pm
back of the peg head.

JeffD
Nov-21-2006, 2:51pm
tailpiece.

So let me know if you know anything about this one. It plays very nicely, and has a lot of punch.

I have more girlfriend than I probably deserve.

Jack Roberts
Nov-21-2006, 3:01pm
oohh. Does your girlfriend have a sister?

Bob A
Nov-21-2006, 3:46pm
Nice mandolin! Beware you don't string it with anything heavier than, say, GHS Classical strings; overstringing will wreck the neck.

Enjoy. And best regards to your girlfriend.

Eugene
Nov-21-2006, 4:26pm
Congrats! Its apparent state of good health is enviable. What music are you planning to play with this?

I believe the bowl's lining and label dates this to 1915-1925. Is there a model number visible anywhere? If so, that could narrow it down a bit. See:

Russell, Neil. 2002. Luthier at Large. Mandolin Magazine 3(4):37-38.

billkilpatrick
Nov-21-2006, 5:01pm
women are wonderful ...

JeffD
Nov-21-2006, 5:22pm
#What music are you planning to play with this?
The instrument seems to like slow waltzes and tunes with lots of open strings. It will play my faster fiddle tunes, but it really shines on the slow stuff.

Great for serenading her. She is a keeper.

Ken Sager
Nov-21-2006, 5:28pm
I have more girlfriend than I probably deserve.
You're in trouble if she agrees with you. Congrats on both the mandolin, and the girlfriend. The mandolin looks terrific. Enjoy!
Ken

Scott Tichenor
Nov-21-2006, 5:39pm
My wife recently ordered a Kimble F dola for me behind my back. It'll take a year or so before it's done. She kept it a secret for about a month before she finally told me. I also own and play a 2001 Nugget Deluxe she ordered for me in 1994. She's a keeper! Congrats to you JeffD.

Ken Sager
Nov-21-2006, 5:43pm
Scott,

The question I have is whether she paid for it, or just ordered it... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

You're both pretty lucky.

Best,
Ken

Scott Tichenor
Nov-21-2006, 5:47pm
Scott,

The question I have is whether she paid for it, or just ordered it... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

You're both pretty lucky.

Best,
Ken
She made the downpayments on both. Of course, I'm more than happy to pay the balance, that being the case.

MML
Nov-21-2006, 6:36pm
My wife bought me a mandolin a few years back, a real nice vintage one and she insists that I use it every time she needs vegtables sliced http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Doug Edwards
Nov-21-2006, 9:03pm
JeffD,

You might want to buy her an engagement ring! My wife bought me my first mandolin. Nothing fancy or special but it was a loving gesture by her. She doesn't even like my kind of music.

Mike Crocker
Nov-21-2006, 9:09pm
No mandolins from my bride, just a Beneteau (www.beneteauguitars.com) 12 string guitar, and a Godin LG electric guitar. No complaints here!

Peace, Mooh.

Eugene
Nov-21-2006, 11:29pm
The instrument seems to like slow waltzes and tunes with lots of open strings.
Go heavy on the tremolo where the tempo is slow enough. #That's really where such things were built to sparkle.

I want to reiterate Bob's admonishment to keep this lightly strung.