PDA

View Full Version : Hanneke cassel

Repent34
Nov-16-2006, 4:49pm
On Wednesday nights I take a Mando I classes and then afterwards I have a Bluegrass class. The mando class is a beginning class which is my level. I can play a whopping 5 songs from memory and know the basic open/closed chords and can move those shapes around (although I need to learn them now without bending my wrist).

Anyway, after our class ended at 7 some folks came in and started setting up. I thought this odd because we always use the space for our Bluegrass class at 730.

Hanneke Cassel, Ariel, and Christopher were the ones setting up. They then proceeded to teach the now growing class one of her songs. A private clinic!! Really cool and it sounded great.

It was a nice intro to Celtic style music. Other folks were playing along with them (local Celtic fiddle class/group) and learning the song. Me, I just smiled and enjoyed the music. Hanneke had asked me earlier who I was and what instrument I had. (case was closed and next to my chair) She asked if I wanted to sit up front. I'm not even close enough at being somewhat decent to ever entertain such a thought!!

Just a great 1 1/2 hour clinic and chat session.

jmcgann
Nov-16-2006, 5:10pm
Yes, world class musician and classy person. Lots of fun too!

Steve L
Nov-16-2006, 8:09pm
It's a real treat to hear her play Scottish music on the fiddle. She plays with authority and fire. You should check out the Boston Scottish Fiddle Club if you're in the area. She sometimes leads the workshops and teaches a couple of tunes, does a brief performance, and joins everyone in a session. All instruments are welcome at the Fiddle Club.

mrmando
Nov-16-2006, 9:50pm
She's quite outgoing ... encountered her in the SF airport once; I was encumbered with fiddle, mandolin and bodhran; naturally she asked me what I was up to. This was 2 years ago during the World Series; I recall her being a Sox fan.

The point is, I'm so shy I wouldn't necessarily walk up to another musician in an airport, but Hanneke's not like that.

EdSherry
Nov-16-2006, 10:00pm
She played at the SF Sea Music Festival a couple of years ago. Great fiddler, lovely person to talk to.

Tom A
Nov-18-2006, 1:28am
Videos of Hanneke Cassel at the Kennedy Center (http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/millennium/artist_detail.cfm?artist_id=HANNECASSL)

Last saw her live with Alisdair Frasier at the Grass Valley Celtic Festival. Not only is she a great fiddler but is pretty good playing backup on keyboard. Has science yet worked out a way of transferring talent by osmosis? I'd like some of hers!

Paul Kotapish
Nov-18-2006, 1:40pm
My old pal fiddler Laura Risk was back in San Francisco a couple years ago and asked me to play a wedding with her while she was here. She said a couple of her friends would be sitting in, too. Turns out the friends--also in town for Alisdair Fraser's Valley of the Moon camp--were Hanneke Cassel and cellist phenom Rushad Eggleston. Suffice it to say that they gave this old dude a serious run for his money. All three are brilliant young players with chops to spare, musicality out the ears, and great senses of fun.

Shana Aisenberg
Nov-19-2006, 9:17am
Haven't seen her live, but I listened to one of the Kennedy Center concerts and she's a fantastic fiddler.

Seth

CharlieKnuth
Nov-20-2006, 7:39am
I got to see her at the Kennedy Center performance and meet her afterwards. It was a great show and she was very friendly afterwards.

Yuletide
Dec-04-2006, 5:44pm
Anyone here seen/heard Michi Regier? Another marvelous young fiddler.

craigtoo
Dec-09-2006, 9:33am
I got to see her at the Kennedy Center performance and meet her afterwards. #It was a great show and she was very friendly afterwards.

+1