PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone *never* get the g/d chop

ben_wv
Nov-14-2006, 8:52am
I've been practicing the G/D chop for about six months, and my left hand still cramps up about halfway through a tune.

I swear I'm not intimidated http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif . #I read all about the incredulous reaction most folks have upon being introduced to the chop. #I always thought that, like anything else, with enough practice it would come. #As of yet, not really.

I should say that I've got pork chops for hands. #Well, maybe not that bad. #As far as picking, I'm starting to play some phrases really well, stuff that I didn't think I'd be able to get. #So I can move my fingers around moderatley well.

My question, then, is whether you've heard of, known, or taught anyone who just couldn't physically make the chord, even with determination and practice?

Thanks for any help...

cooper4205
Nov-14-2006, 9:01am
i have been practing them the same length of time and it still happens to me. i think it might be something with my technique, but i never have it happen when i get my lesson. we probably just javen't been at it long enough for the muscles responsible to fully develop yet

Klaus Wutscher
Nov-14-2006, 9:05am
Probably you are referring to the common Monroe chord shape 7/5/2/3 (frets from G to E string). That chord is somewhat tough to fret for most people at first. Good news is that
a) it gets easier to fret this chord further up the neck (easier in A and almost comfortable in B) and
b) you don´t really need this chord at first if you cannot play it. You see, what makes a chord chop is basicly the bottom three strings. The E string does not really add much to that. So, try this chord shape:

G: 4th fret second finger;
d 5th fret third finger
A: 2nd fret first finger ;
do not play the E string.

Chops just as well and is much easier to fret. I still use that chord shape quite frequently.

mandomadman
Nov-14-2006, 9:26am
Patience grasshopper it will come. Don't give up,the full 4 note Monroe style chop chords are worth all the pain of learning. They will become second nature and you'll be able switch between them without loosing a beat. All of us that can play them are human just like you and it took us some perseverance too. They are soooo worth it !!!

gschmidt
Nov-14-2006, 10:02am
At first I thought the G Chop was IMPOSSIBLE, but now it's just second nature. The key for me was to hold the neck a little "deeper" in my hand (I have pretty big hands, so that might not be it for you).

Just take it slow and keep after it. Once I got the fingering down, I had to get past the "cramping stage" too. You just have to take it slow and you will build up the muscles and the stamina. It'll come.

moku9
Nov-14-2006, 10:41am
I quit trying after about a year. Sometime later I looked down and there it was, an actual chop chord. Now I'm running all over the neck with them with no cramping.

If I can do it, anyone can. I do have slender hands but if you'll notice, many mando pickers are ham-fisted and still manage to do anything they want to do.

Takes time and is well worth the investment.

Ken Berner
Nov-14-2006, 4:22pm
Klaus, I like almost the same, but with four fingers:

Index finger on A string, second fret
Middle finger on E string, third fret
Ring finger on G string, fourth fret
Pinkie on D string, fifth fret

Play the C chord as usual, and the D chord may be made several ways; I like this:

Barre the second fret with index finger
Ring finger on D string, fourth fret
Pinkie on A string, fifth fret

Of course, these shapes may be used up the fretboard. Most bluegrassers would scoff at these shapes, but I recently saw Thile utilizing the barre chord to advantage.

chopaholic
Nov-14-2006, 5:26pm
Ben,
I'm glad to see these guys stressing patience! I've been at it almost 2 years and at a halfway decent speed can finally hit GCD chops about 75% of the time. The problem then becomes teaching those darn fingers to move in as you go up the neck with the same chord shape. When I alluded to hitting chords 75% of the time, I count the other 25% as unclean. My question to you good players is, even though these are "chop" sounds, should a beginner always strive to hit these perfectly so if one were to fret tightly, they would ring cleanly. I like my chops to have a distinct chord sound to them, that way I feel like I'm not cheating myself, but the frustration of not hitting them right on is wearing. Does this make any sense?

jim_n_virginia
Nov-15-2006, 3:45am
One of my early teachers taught me to roll my wrist in between my fingers on my left hand to stretch out the fingers. I did this dilegently for a long time and now I still do it right before a gig or jam. It helps tremendously.

Like everyone said... just keep doing it and one day it will be effortless. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

5string
Nov-15-2006, 8:20am
ben - the most helpful technique I found here for forming a chop chord was to start making the chord with the little finger and move to the others. It's still a work in progress.........but I've made SOME progress!

Dave

Rover 75

"if it was easy, everyone would do it!" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ben_wv
Nov-15-2006, 8:39am
Thanks for all the help. #I guess the only limiting factor now is patience and practice. #It's good to hear that no one has run across someone who, with a lot of both of the above, still never "got it", which was what I was trying to find out.

I was at a jam last night where we played several slower gospel songs. #Keeping this thread in mind, I made myself play the chop chord forms (to the detriment of most of the tunes). Lots of cramping, and I sounded like a clam truck with the jake-brake on, but I felt like I was making progress.

Due to the dilligence and encouragement of the Cafe's helpful ranks, I hereby solemnly promise not to bellyache about the chop for six months http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif . #I figure by then I'll have it for sure.

MandoSquirrel
Nov-16-2006, 12:02am
ben - the most helpful technique I found here for forming a chop chord was to start making the chord with the little finger and move to the others. It's still a work in progress.........but I've made SOME progress!

Dave

Rover 75

"if it was easy, everyone would do it!" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
I would add to this, start working on chop chords UP the neck rather than in the lower positions, the reach will be easier & allow your fingers to get used to the positions. If you can't get the hang of it, you may need to add to your practice time (preferably more sessions rather than longer) or find someone to give you a lesson or other help.