PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl...or Mandolin?

Lee
Jan-30-2004, 5:22pm
I'm opting for mandolin. Everyone else is busy.

mandofiddle
Jan-30-2004, 5:30pm
Ditto. I don't even know who is playing in the Super Bowl. Color me clueless when it comes to sports...

Andrew Reckhart
Jan-30-2004, 5:34pm
Sorry Guys, but the Stiver stays in the case on Sunday night. The Super Bowl is only once a year, and I can play mandolin from right after church until the pre-game show starts if I want to.

mandoJeremy
Jan-30-2004, 5:34pm
PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, a little NC pride going on![B]

pklima
Jan-30-2004, 5:58pm
My mandolin is a really nice bowlback. Does that make it a Superbowl? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Carolina_Quinn
Jan-30-2004, 7:08pm
Although I've only been playing the mandolin a few weeks, it's a no-brainer: gotta watch my beloved Carolina Panthers win the Super Bowl. I'll probably be one heck of a mando player before the Panthers make it back again...

Bobbie Dier
Jan-30-2004, 8:29pm
Mandolin wins! Mandolin wins!

tope
Jan-30-2004, 9:59pm
Superbowl? what's that?

jcs271
Jan-30-2004, 10:01pm
I just don't understand all this hoopla over a stupid Baseball game, I'm goin' to stay home and pick the old Collings!

mandocrustacean
Jan-30-2004, 10:29pm
We're going to jam over at my house instead of watching the superbowl. I have only watche two or three superbowls in my 31 years of life. Professional sports just haven't really interested me. As my grandpa always said, "Why do I want to watch a bunch of men in tights falling all over a field fighting over a pig's bladder?"http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

levin4now
Jan-30-2004, 10:31pm
Church, then superbowl. Some friends and their wives and kids are getting together. It is good to fellowship with non-mando friends.

ADM

(But on Wednesday, I will be in Raleigh watching the NCSU vs Wake Forest Basketball game. Yessir.)

happycamper
Jan-30-2004, 10:39pm
Superbowl with my mandolin.

Play a good lick every time someone gets a touchdown.

If not many touchdowns, play after each kick, or commercial.

John Flynn
Jan-30-2004, 11:17pm
I just don't understand all this hoopla over a stupid Baseball game
LOL! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I am not a football fan, but I mean no offense (or defense, or special teams) to those who are. I am a big fan of Super Bowl commercials, though. I will keep the TV on mute during the game and play my mando except when the commercials come on.

Potosimando
Jan-30-2004, 11:24pm
Wow...Happy Camper is the only person who got it right. #When it comes to TV, a person should be able to do both--play the mando and watch. #If Happy Camper is a woman, then I suspect this is a gender thing. #From what I've seen, women seem to be better suited to doing two or three things at once. #We guys...not so good (evidence the above posts).

Jim Garber
Jan-31-2004, 12:22am
It shows you where my head is at... I read super bowl and I think... well, see the attached, 1901 Style 6 Martin bowlback.

Jim

mando bandage
Jan-31-2004, 8:36am
Superbowl with my mandolin.

Play a good lick every time someone gets a touchdown.

This can have a beneficial effect on your team, depending on your song selection. #As a resident of Ohio, just 60 miles north of Ohio Stadium, I have spent the last two Fiesta Bowls sitting in front of the television playing "Red Haired Boy" everytime Craig Krenzel (who, incidentally, has red hair) and the Buckeyes scored. #I am convinced that I was instrumental in securing the Buckeyes' national championship last year and their victory over the "hottest team in the country" KSU this year. #

So, choose your song selection carefully. #Panther/Patriot fans: What will you be playing?

R

om21ed
Jan-31-2004, 10:39am
I think I can do both at once as long as I keep the mando out of the snacks--which will probably be my main focus.

chirorehab
Jan-31-2004, 10:44am
Survivor!

Eric

NickelCreeker
Jan-31-2004, 5:29pm
Ummmmmmmm, I dont know IM not a football fan really. Im More of a Baseball/Hockey kinda girl..... WOO! GO CUBS!

........ahem Anyhoo... dont mix football and mandolin together, or..something...I dunno what Im saying... ITS THE CHINESE FOOD IM TELLIN YA!

happycamper
Jan-31-2004, 11:13pm
Just for the record, I'm Happycamper and I have been a Texas born male since birth. Yep, I'll be playing my mandolin and watching the Superbowl tomorrow Feb 1st, which just also happens to be my 65 birthday. My mother will turn 90 in August and still drives and all and I plan to be playing my mandolin and going camping when I get her age. How about them apples?

beachbum
Jan-31-2004, 11:38pm
Happy Birthday Happycamper from a fellow Texan. Born and raised in Houston currently in Corpus Christi. I think I'll play and watch too!

Brian Ray
Feb-01-2004, 12:23am
Uh... both...

mandoJeremy
Feb-01-2004, 1:15am
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN NTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. There I go again! Wagers? YES, the Panthers!

mandomiss
Feb-01-2004, 1:46am
I'll probably have the TV muted while they're playing (that's the time I'll be playing my mandolin) and then turn the sound back on for the commercials.

mandojosh
Feb-01-2004, 2:49am
When I watch football, I play my mando as well, In fact, I do that with TV in general.

Josh

cbogle
Feb-01-2004, 3:05am
I could care less about the game, so I'll be playing the new Brentrup a little.

And Mandojosh--
I caught part your gig at the Elixir booth at NAMM on that Sunday; I really enjoyed hearing you and your dad play, and your duets were incredible. With so much sonic mayhem going on around you, it's a wonder you were able to concentrate on playing at all--Very impressive!

Steve

romkeymm
Feb-01-2004, 3:37am
The answer to this one is easy. You have to watch the Super Bowl while playing the mandolin! I write for the local newspaper so even though it's two teams that I don't care about, the columns must continue on come Monday. Plus, it’s a great time to practice scales and other songs in my collection. Sunday’s usually my jam day where I don’t practice much of anything that I don’t know.

Wilson
Feb-01-2004, 8:37am
I find this encouraging: no one seems to have opted to watch "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" on NBC. I have learned to like football a whole lot, so it's the game for me and the commercials for my wife with a little pre-game mando.

Wilson

mandojosh
Feb-01-2004, 1:44pm
hahahaha, Dude, my mom soooo looks forward to the commercials when the super bowl comes on!

straight-a
Feb-02-2004, 10:35pm
I practiced mandolin while I watched the game.

Christine W
Feb-02-2004, 10:46pm
WE'll went to my first ever superbowl party and hardly watched any of it. We were picking most of the night. It's funny a bunch of musicians at a superbowl party. I think only a few new who was even playing. ( I didn't, had to find out before I went). I did see Mrs Jacksons exposure however, during the halftime show. The highlight of the evening was when I got to play a Sumi man that thing plays like butta!!! It made even my playing sound good. I'm getting MAS again.

mandoJeremy
Feb-02-2004, 10:47pm
I am too sad to play at all because my Panthers only lost by three points!

ira
Feb-03-2004, 12:50am
funny, my pats won by 3. what a coincidence. hey mandoj- nothing to hang your head about. your team played a great game against a phenomenal team. they almost beat a team that hasn;'t lost since oct. that jake d is cool as they come under pressure. glad about the outcome, but panthers fans should be proud even if bummed out about the loss.

mandoJeremy
Feb-03-2004, 1:05am
Yeah, I agree and I must say that is one of the best Superbowls I have seen. All of us here in NC are a little bummed out but we are very proud of the Panthers. Jake Delhomme is going to be a guy to watch and I am sure they will make it back next year. Both defenses were just excellent. Great game.

jehannarc
Feb-03-2004, 2:58am
I went to the party for the friends, commercials, and snacks. Couldn't care less about which team won. Without the friends I would definitely have chosen mando.
Rugby and Soccer are the sports for me!

The friend's party I was at had a TV on the patio for the smokers which was tuned to local cable, and a TV inside tuned to satellite. The satellite was slightly delayed (darned outer space with all it's distance!) and so the outside crew would hoot and holler five seconds before the inside crew. It was especially useful because you could watch the game outside on the TV and then turn your head and watch it again on the inside TV.

I found most of the entertainment base and overhyped. I'm not a big Aerosmith fan, but was amazed at how tired they sounded. Husband had seen them live many years ago and said he had been disapointed then with their live show at the time. And the use of pyrotechnics was obsene. Ridiculous!

mandroid
Feb-03-2004, 11:43pm
Janet Jackson flash a 'pastie' at any of your sessions? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif