PDA

View Full Version : String tension

bluegrassdan
Nov-12-2006, 2:17pm
Does a higher string tension affect volume? I like the feel of lower tension on monels, Silks And even ghs pb's but I seem so quiet when jamming with others that I cant hear what I am doing. J74's have never appealed to me but I might have to to back to check their volume. They are the only ones I have used that have that initial break in period where I dont like the sound.

Paul Hostetter
Nov-14-2006, 10:50am
This is a good question. Intuitively, higher string tension should affect volume, but most people accomplish this by using heavier strings at the same pitch, scale and so on. Part of the net effect of this approach is a darker sound which (depending on the particular instrument) actually results in less brilliance and penetration, even if it has a bit more power. Take your J-74s on your typical 13-7/8" scale and tune them up to AEBF# and the volume will be tangibly affected. It will be altogether louder, but you'll be unhappy with other things about it. And so too will your mandolin!

I don't know what mandolin you're playing (particularly its scale) but if you're going with strings that have less tension than J-74s, and you know J-74s work and sound louder, there you are. The silk and steels will be less, I can't say about the GHS since I don't know what their gauges and specs are. One of the little tweaks possible with heavier strings is that you can have lower action with less risk of fret buzzing and so on, which gains some playability.

bluegrassdan
Nov-14-2006, 6:05pm
I'm palaying an Eastman 515. Do you think it could handle J75's? I dont think I could fret the G string on a chop.

Paul Hostetter
Nov-14-2006, 6:20pm
The Eastman 515 is a Gibson copy, and should work fine with J-75s. Adjust your action and neck relief accordingly, if you decide you like the sound. But as is so often the case, more is not necessarily better. You just have to experiment and see what works for you.

250sc
Nov-15-2006, 8:03am
When I first put J-75 on my Collings it sounded real stiff but after 3 weeks or so of playing a couple yours a day it woke right up and sounded louder, and warmer.

If you switch you might want to wait a month or so before desideing if you like them.

I'm partial to heaver strings and low action on all my fretted instruments.

Nov-15-2006, 9:15am
Hi Dan,
When I got my 505 it came with J75's and quite a high action.
I lowered the action at the bridge and the nut but they were to heavy for my tendons by far (i have suffered from tendonitis in the past and I could feel that old aching coming back again).
Anyway, I put J74s on and the mando was much easier in regards to getting clear notes/chords and my speed of playing became greater and more fluid.
The tone was a little less 'woody' but the volume seemed to be similar.
So,yes, the mando will take it but will the tendons??