PDA

View Full Version : Tone gaurd

carleshicks
Nov-12-2006, 1:24am
I finally bought a tone gaurd yesterday for my Master Model. It works great . The only problem is my mando will not fit in the case with it on. I used a wood dowel and a C-clamp to lightly compress the side padding where the tone gaurd contacts the case, now the mando fits in the case but very snuggly and the top padding is know sitting on the bridge. Has anyone had any luck with non-evasive modification to thier Master Model case that would care to share.

mandroid
Nov-12-2006, 1:27pm
how much pressure does it exert on the bridge?, may not be significant.

I added some 3/4" open cell foam to the lid of an archtop TKL case , it had no contact at all , and I was visualizing it moving up and down inside the case, particularly if it was upside down. bridge with tonegard on back, made a 3/8 ish deep impression then , but density of pad was not significant.

I would offer the idea , perhaps, use of a few styrofoam peanuts as a test guage to see what happens inside the case when it's shut.

replicate the thickness of the addition of the tonegard, and see how far the peanuts are compressed , they shouldnt spring back much so the difference before and after can be measured.

carleshicks
Nov-12-2006, 7:28pm
great idea. thanks

bradeinhorn
Nov-12-2006, 11:13pm
get a travelite.

mandroid
Nov-13-2006, 12:01am
That wasn't the question, brade-.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

carleshicks
Nov-13-2006, 6:54am
actually I have a travel light but I love the look and feel of the old Loar style case. I will probably buy a calton some day but when I pull my MM out that loar style case I almost feel like I have a Loar, not just a mando that looks and sounds like one.