PDA

View Full Version : Toughest key

hellindc
Nov-11-2006, 12:28pm
What's the toughest key for you? I find that it's F. I can deal with E flat or various other less commonly played keys, and F is certainly not the least common key. But there is something about the way it falls that makes it tought. It seems like I should be able to adjust. Just play E up one fret, right? I get through it that way, but I just don't have the same creativity.

So what key do you NOT want to hear called out at a jam?

AlanN
Nov-11-2006, 12:35pm
You're in good company, Levon Helm can't hack F either!

Peter Hackman
Nov-11-2006, 3:19pm
What's the toughest key for you? #I find that it's F. #I can deal with E flat or various other less commonly played keys, and F is certainly not the least common key. #But there is something about the way it falls that makes it tought. #It seems like I should be able to adjust. #Just play E up one fret, right? #I get through it that way, but I just don't have the same creativity. #

So what key do you NOT want to hear called out at a jam?
I suppose G, C, and A, if those were the ONLY keys. At many jams, or similar
events, I got tired of playing the same few keys all the time.

Although I've written quite a few pieces in D, the keys I really LOVE playing
are F and B flat; they have a very nice physical feel, and the beautiful possibility of playing in first and second position, simultaneously
as it were.

Right now I try to blow some in A flat, because I've neglected that key.
Limehouse Blues, La Valse Hot. Takes some stretching, because I have small hands.

However, the ones I play far too little are D flat and G flat,
and their relative minors. I would not feel comfortable
with them on a tricky tune.

MandoSquirrel
Nov-11-2006, 3:23pm
I agree about F & Bb, Wonderful keys to play in.
If any key is more difficult, it just shows I've been lazy or neglectful in practicing. For a beginner, this wouldn't necessarily be the case, though.

groveland
Nov-11-2006, 6:26pm
I'm with the "F and C and G Favorites" group from an ease of use standpoint. I find F (and C, and G) very comfortable in that a couple positions are very accessible with repeatable patterns easily located. #Plus the b3/3 blue note and b7/7 are found in the 1st and 2nd frets, a great 'anchor' when navigating. #Also, the b3/3 and b7/7 are found again at the 6/7th fret. #Kindof opens up the entire fretboard.

Ken Berner
Nov-11-2006, 9:39pm
hellindc, Let me encourage you to practice playing the most simple songs you know in that key (F). For my stubby fingers, the scale was a bit of a stretch and I just had to learn to move faster (at age 70). I now play several hymns and a lot of Christmas music in F with no problem. Don't give up too quickly, as you CAN learn it!

Fretbear
Nov-12-2006, 12:04am
In F the only note that is not natural is Bb, the IV, which is often best left out of a good deal of picking in the major tonic. Playing in Dm on the mandolin lays out real well, and could also be thought of as playing from D to D in F major, the relative minor of F or Aeolian mode for music majors. I have had to come up with some different partial chord voicings for F however, such as 533 & 538 low to high.

--------------

hellindc
Nov-12-2006, 7:35pm
You're surely right, Ken. I don't have a problem at all with Bb. Just F, but then, that's what practice is for.

8ch(pl)
Nov-13-2006, 7:13am
I started playing by doing scales and chords in Key of C. That F chord in first position, was hard to get. I progressed to 1 sharp, then 1 flat, 2 sharps, 2 flats etc. This way I was using chords that I had already learned as I went on.

Now that I am in the loop for more than 15 years, I find F to be my favorite key. I can just lift one finger in the B flat chord and I am playing G minor 7th. Learning that F chord was tough.

mandopete
Nov-13-2006, 9:53am
Definately Ab!

ronlane3
Nov-13-2006, 9:59am
I was at a new year's eve party a few years ago and we were jamming, when a Lady wanted to sing a song in C#. I was trying to talk her into C or D, but she had to have it in C#. That was tough.

mandopete
Nov-13-2006, 10:00am
C# is alot easier if you just think of it as Db!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ronlane3
Nov-13-2006, 2:10pm
Gee Pete, NOW YOU TELL ME. All of a sudden the lightbulb comes on http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Ron Landis
Nov-13-2006, 2:26pm
I actually like F for doing swing tunes like Sweet Georgia Brown and others that use a lot of 2 and 6 chords. (G and D respectively.) C#, F#, Eb are more difficult to me cause I have to deliberately NOT look at the fingerboard so my position markers don't throw me off.

Nolan
Nov-13-2006, 2:32pm
Gb Ab Eb... although F# G# and D# are a close second.

gh_mando
Nov-13-2006, 4:47pm
This string reminded me of when our fiddle player got married. The band's lead singer/songwriter had just written a new "love song". I was invited to the wedding but was notified at the last minute (I live 8 hrs away) to bring the mando and the new song is in Eb. We had big time.