PDA

View Full Version : Interesting piece on npr

skippy
Nov-11-2006, 9:22am
At the risk of a total and utter shunning for bringing up a Banjo player... (/ducks) I just heard this piece by Bela Fleck on NPR's "This I Believe"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6119357

Good stuff. My questions is this... to be good with music, must we be "obsessive"? Fleck talks about it on his NPR thing. Thile talks about it in many of his songs and displays it in his mannerisms (in my opinion) I watched Sam Bush do a sound check and think there may be some "obsessive" traits there... And that is just a few, as listeners we rarely have the ability to see into the behaviors of our "heros" but these are three I have noticed. I am not trying to negtively spin obsessive here... As my Mother-in-law is obsessive as well. Is the difference between being diagnosed OCD and being great the difference between where you direct your obsessive tendencies?

gnelson651
Nov-11-2006, 10:53am
Thanks for the great resource. Great musicians, regardless of what instrument they play (even if it is a b@nj#) makes for an interesting read and some inspiring words.

After reading the articles, I think what Fleck means by "obsessive" has to do with immerging yourself into something, in this case music. He also believes the importance of finding your own way musically.

I'm finding this to be true for myself. Lately I've been obsessing about playing bluegrass. I've bought several jam CD/DVDs but throw the sheetmusic aside. My aim is to be able to improvise but on my terms. I will listen to the CD/DVD, find #the basic melody and then add my own embellishments. Its been a difficult but rewarding experience. Yet, I'm doing it my way not someone else's way (tab/standard).

So yes, being obsessive does lead to self discovery and innovation in music which makes for good musicians. There is a difference between OCD, which is a brain disorder and being obsessive about music, which is a passion that is controllable.

BTW: I have some Flecktone CDs, great music.

JEStanek
Nov-11-2006, 11:27am
There is being obsessive about how you prepare to do your job and then doing it and then there is a compulsion to prepare/clean/tune whatever to the point where you cannot do it. There in lies the difference. Think about jobs you've been really proud of, you did your prep work thoroughly and you planned and you did the best you could. Folks like the ones you listed above want to give people the best experience possible so they obsess over getting it right, but still, after the prep work get on stage and deliver. Not pathological in my opinion, they just have high standards for themselves.

In an interview with Thile re: recording his new album Chris said given enough time he could make each track perfect but end up sucking the soul out of each one. Being too obsessive would cripple you from doing the things you want to do. I don't see that in Bela' or the others.

I don't think you or I need to be as obsessive unless you want to be... it's up to you and what your playing goals are (hobbyist, play like someone you admire, define your onw style). If you need to fill halls with paying ticket holders a bit of obsession may be in order http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif if you want to keep filling halls with paying ticket holders.

I play for fun and joy not perfection but I like my playing to sound as good as I can...

Jamie
edit: obsessive enough to clean up spelling and capitalization errors...

SternART
Nov-11-2006, 12:36pm
To make your life about music or art, and to be successful & attempt to reach your true potential requires
a great deal of dedication....and if you want to call it that....obsessive tendencies. I think A type
personalities just thrive when they have a good direction to focus their energies. But you know some of
us no matter how hard we practice will never be a Fleck, Thile, Meyer, Marshall, O'Conner, Bush, Grisman,
Rice, Douglas, et al. You are talking about the very best of a generation, these are gifted individuals
who also worked very hard to raise their skill levels. IMO it takes more than being obsessive to be the
very best at anything. Some rare folks just got it. That is why a Mozart-type who exhibits incredible skills
at a young age is so rare. The above list were all gifted youngsters who also worked very HARD.

sunburst
Nov-11-2006, 1:32pm
I agree.
I've often said there are two (at least) ways to get really good at an instrument.
1. Start with a huge amount of talent and put forth some effort.
2. Start with average of above talent and work very hard.

The ones listed above, and their like, are the ones who started with a huge amount of talent and worked very hard, and they've gone beyond being very good at their instruments; they've raised the bar for all who follow.

Jason Kessler
Nov-12-2006, 12:39pm
Bela once told me that, as a teen, he practiced 8 hours a day. I began to wonder how I'd feel if a child of mine worked at ANYTHING that obsessively. Yet Bela's an apparently happy, well-balanced, and (obviously) successful guy.

You can call it what you want, but those at the top of their field have a drive that pushes them to achieve.