PDA

View Full Version : Could it be a gibson a-40?

pjotrr
Nov-06-2006, 2:46pm
I've got my eye on a Gibson mandolin that sounds great and looks very nice. The owner says it's a Gibson A-40 but i've been seraching the net and I can't find any information that confirms that.

I don't have any pics or serial number yet but here is some information:

- "F" holes
- Bound top AND bottom
- No bound fingerboard
- Adjustable bridge
- "Gibson" gold logo. Like the one the second row of logo pics www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#specs but without "Only a Gibson is Good Enough"
- Nothing stamped or printed on the back of the peghead
- Sunburst finnish on top and bottom
- Tuners like on this http://www.mandolincentral.com/36a50.html
- Tailpiece like this one http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4643.htm

Thankful for every bit of info.

Lane Pryce
Nov-06-2006, 3:16pm
Mahogany back = A40, maple and you have yourself an A50. Lp

f5loar
Nov-06-2006, 4:59pm
The A40 is a postwar(after 1946)model so it can't be that.
I'd say you got a prewar A-00 or A-1 between 1936 and 1942. These do not have serial nos. but should have the factory order no. found inside the lower F hole.

pjotrr
Nov-08-2006, 4:25pm
I'm a newbe in the mandolin game so i don't know much about the different models what they sound like and how the different models rank in sound and quality. How does the A-00, A-1, A-40 and A-50 rank among each other? And does the A-40 have bound top and bottom?

The more i read about the different models the more confused i get http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Soon i be able to post some pics for you too look at.

Thanks for the info.

mandroid
Nov-08-2006, 5:08pm
A50 would have binding on the neck along with backside of rim.
A40 uses a gibson manufactured laminated 3 ply back, visible as its un bound.
had an a40n for a long time, a fine instrument.

f5loar
Nov-08-2006, 5:17pm
The A1,A00 and A40 and A40N(N stands for Natural or Blonde top vs. sunburst) are pretty much the same as far as rank in models while the A50 uses the maple back and sides a more traditional wood for the better mandolin. They all will play the same since they are all short neck Fhole A models.

pjotrr
Nov-12-2006, 11:00am
Finaly! Got some pics on the mandolin. Now I'm very interested too hear what you all say. Is it #an A-40 or is it some other modell? I have no idea what the lable inside reads. Looking forward to read all of your comments and opinions on this mandolin.

Thanks!

pjotrr
Nov-12-2006, 11:06am
Ok no luck with the image. Trying again.

pjotrr
Nov-12-2006, 11:07am
And one more!

f5loar
Nov-14-2006, 3:00am
From the photos I see a 1941 A-1 that was redone by Gibson in the 60's with possible refinish, new bridge and new tailpiece. They would have added the orange oval label at that time and should have put something on it. It's not an A40.

f5loar
Nov-14-2006, 3:02am
One more thing. If the pickguard has a screw into the top at the tip of the pickguard(looks like it does) then the repair was done after 1964 as the pickguard is not original either.

Darryl Wolfe
Nov-14-2006, 11:09am
The back appears to be mahogany indicating an A-40, but it should not be bound. #At any rate it's a convolution of something from the 40's with refin of at least the body and newer parts being done in the 60's. #The peghead logo is 40's

pjotrr
Nov-14-2006, 2:59pm
Thanks for the answers it made things clearer about the mandolin. But with this it raised a few more question;)

What may be the reason for doing that? Did Gibson redo many A-1 mandolins in this way or is it done on this mandolin because it was damaged in some way?
Is this a reason too keep away from this instrument?

The price asked for this is $900. So I ask you who knows your mandolins is it worth it?

Thanks again.

mandroid
Nov-14-2006, 6:01pm
Wild guess: It got a neck reset.
the post manufacturing install of back binding, done before neck was re-fitted.
then a refinish.
looks like nice work , have you played it ?
labor to get it back to that condition was of that value, particularly if calculated
in todays costs.

Jonathan Reinhardt
Nov-14-2006, 6:44pm
very hard to advise you.
this was an unusual era at Gibson. a variety of A's (although only a relatively small number of each pre-1945)not for everybody, but worthy instruments and some of us love them dearly. I have a 1941 A-50, it's been a long term companion.
and this one, whatever it is, appears to be an instrument that perhaps saw some retrofit.
if you have not played a later 30's or 40's A with f holes (and not familiar with their sound and construction), you may or may not be happy you plunged into these waters. the price is certainly fair on today's market.
I have also played late 1940's and 1950's A-40's and A-50's. Of course they vary, but some are wonderful. I prefer the prewar.
I would suggest finding one somewhere you CAN play, or just do the trial period on this one.

rasa
Jonathan Reinhardt

f5loar
Nov-14-2006, 10:18pm
With the retro/refins/reparts it's lost it's collector value for a pre-war Gibson mandolin. So price should reflect that and I don't think it does. You could replace the TP/PG and bridge to get it back to prewar specs but no can do on the finish so you are stuck. And I'm still not 100% sold on it was refinished without hands on inspection. Take out that factor and value goes back up.
I see finish on the back of the neck that looks correct prewar finish while the shading on the top does not. Now compare a post war A40 price of around $600 to $800 and you can see why $900 might be in line for this one for a prewar A-1 and by all accounts should sound better.

Iain Ross
Nov-16-2006, 5:46pm
Greetings from Australia I have an old Gibson Mandolin that i'm trying to age . It is an A40 (i think) Binding on front only , back and sides lighter colour than the front(which is sunburst brown) Serial number appears to be S2730 14. These appear on back inside the F hole.Its in an old fake croc skin case . regards Iain

f5loar
Nov-16-2006, 11:17pm
Sounds like a 1959 A40 to me. Sound have a slide on top tailpiece with "Gibson" engraved in postwar logo. Should have a brownish red unbound pickguard and should have closed back Kluson tuners with a big brass wheel rosewood adjustable bridge. The case should have a little brass metal "gibson" logo tag on top of the pocket cover in the case.

Iain Ross
Nov-17-2006, 12:27am
That sounds like my Mandolin Correct on Tailpiece /Pickguard missing/did have closed back Klusons but it had been dropped and all one side was broken/ It has Big brass wheels on the rosewood bridge/The badge for the case has come off but i still have it . Thanks for the info , regards
Iain