PDA

View Full Version : Irish or Scotish hymns

pickinBob
Apr-27-2004, 12:23am
Does anyone know of a source for Irish or Scotish hymns that would be appropriate for a church worship setting?

I already know: "Slain, Be thou my vision", "Come Thou Font"

Turas Mor
Apr-27-2004, 11:53am
How about "Morning has broken" or "Amazing Grace"?

There is a whole pile of more modern Celtic Flavored Praise Music. People like Robin Marks, Brian Doerksen, Graham Kendrick, and others. Much of this is new music, but some is old traditional hymns done with a new Celtic flavor.

plunkett5
Apr-27-2004, 12:19pm
"I heard the voice of Jesus" by Ralph V. Williams is "Star of the County Down". Check out "Make us True Servants"/"Lord of All Hopefulness" hymn tune Slane. If you need more, let me know.

mrmando
Apr-27-2004, 2:57pm
"The Master Has Come," "Let All Things Now Living" and probably some other hymns are set to "The Ash Grove."

Keltic Fiddler
Apr-28-2004, 9:52am
-Does anyone know of a source for Irish or Scotish hymns that would be appropriate for a church worship setting?

I'm using one this Sunday in worship "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" - the words of the 23rd Psalm put to an ancient Irish melody.

Believe it or not, many of the traditional Christmas Carols lend themselves to Celtic style of music. Last Christmas we did a whole worship service of just carols, played on the harp, fiddle and mandolin. It worked nicely.

You might also want to search for a copy of the Scottish Psalter. Plenty of tunes there that you could use.

SiFi
Apr-29-2004, 5:29am
Great thread!

In addition to Turas Mor's excellent suggestions, Moya Brennan (as she spells it now) of Clannad fame has done two Christian albums, and I'll add Eden's Bridge to the list of celtic style bands as well.

The Prairie Bible College in Canada has set a number of hymns and prayers to traditional tunes. They've done two wonderful CDs that are available through their web site: http://www.pbi.ab.ca/music/Default.asp

Slainte!

Simon

pickinBob
Apr-30-2004, 7:27pm
Thanks everyone, these are great resources to work on. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif